adsl modem no router

Old May 24th 04, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Davies

Default adsl modem no router

I gave my old alcatel speedtouch stingray usb modem to a friend as I got
a draytek 2600we router/modem. But because the usb modem doesnt work
that great (drops connections frequently) she wants something a bit
better and stable.

There is no need for a router as there will never be any extra computers
networked to it and it needs to be v.cheap

has anyone got any recommendations?
Old May 24th 04, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gari P

"Adam Davies" wrote in message
I gave my old alcatel speedtouch stingray usb modem to a friend as I got
a draytek 2600we router/modem. But because the usb modem doesnt work
that great (drops connections frequently) she wants something a bit
better and stable.

There is no need for a router as there will never be any extra computers
networked to it and it needs to be v.cheap

Personally, I wouldn't have anything other than an ADSL router. I only have
1 single PC behind my 1-port NAT router, no plans for any network either. So
why have a router you ask? I've never liked USB devices / connections, and
never will. I don't need to tell you that a router is far more stable and
has less latency than a messy USB modem.
Sorry I haven't answered your question, just adding my
0.0000000000000002p's worth

---

Old May 24th 04, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wira One

On Mon, 24 May 2004 18:45:49 +0100, Adam Davies wrote:

I gave my old alcatel speedtouch stingray usb modem to a friend as I got
a draytek 2600we router/modem. But because the usb modem doesnt work
that great (drops connections frequently) she wants something a bit
better and stable.

There is no need for a router as there will never be any extra computers
networked to it and it needs to be v.cheap

I've no idea if you can find an ethernet ADSL modem without router.. and
buying a single port router from ebuyer will be much cheaper compared to
buying an ethernet modem I presume .. and with NAT, she has no worries
about all those netsky, blaster, sasser variants going through her PC too.

Old May 24th 04, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 24 May 2004, Adam Davies wrote:

There is no need for a router as there will never be any extra
computers networked to it and it needs to be v.cheap

I set up a PCI card for someone last September. 20-30 quid inc VAT
and delivery (bought from Dabs or Ebuyer, sorry cannot be sure which)
though the bottom end single-port routers are similar price and I'd
still recommend them as they often have diagnostics and simple to
set up so long as there's an ethernet card available (and easy for
test purposes to substitute another to check ADSL on line, or if a
problem with the router is suspected).

Old May 24th 04, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Davies

In article , zdg18
@ukgateway.net.nospamplease says...

"Adam Davies" wrote in message
I gave my old alcatel speedtouch stingray usb modem to a friend as I got
a draytek 2600we router/modem. But because the usb modem doesnt work
that great (drops connections frequently) she wants something a bit
better and stable.

Paul

Thanks i went hunting just after I posted and came up with the same one.