BroadbanterBanter

BroadbanterBanter (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/uk-telecom-broadband-uk-broadband/)
-   -   OT B.T. vs the rain forests (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/15316-ot-b-t-vs-rain-forests.html)

Graham May 24th 04 10:27 PM

OT B.T. vs the rain forests
 
I was outside my house contemplating the BT's contribution to the landscape
and wondered why, three and a half years into the twenty-first Century,
Britons foremost telco is still permitted to distribute it's wares by
dandling wires from dead trees.
I don't imagine Telewest or NTL would get away with this technique so why
can BT.

(I have this vague memory of something called Redifusion, someone tell me
that was just a bad dream)


Graham.


%Profound_observation.%



Hiram Hackenbacker May 24th 04 10:37 PM

OT B.T. vs the rain forests
 
On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:27:11 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

I was outside my house contemplating the BT's contribution to the landscape
and wondered why, three and a half years into the twenty-first Century,
Britons foremost telco is still permitted to distribute it's wares by
dandling wires from dead trees.


Do BT poles come from rainforests?

I don't imagine Telewest or NTL would get away with this technique so why
can BT.


Historic. I bet if Telewest/NTL were allowed to use poles they would
- must be much cheaper to get wire into a property than digging up the
street and gardens.

(I have this vague memory of something called Redifusion, someone tell me
that was just a bad dream)


Redifusion was no dream.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker

Ian Stirling May 24th 04 11:15 PM

OT B.T. vs the rain forests
 
Hiram Hackenbacker wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:27:11 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

I was outside my house contemplating the BT's contribution to the landscape
and wondered why, three and a half years into the twenty-first Century,
Britons foremost telco is still permitted to distribute it's wares by
dandling wires from dead trees.


Do BT poles come from rainforests?


At least the one I sawed through seemed to be pine, with lots of
creosote.

Kráftéé May 25th 04 12:08 AM

OT B.T. vs the rain forests
 
Hiram Hackenbacker wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:27:11 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

I was outside my house contemplating the BT's contribution to the
landscape and wondered why, three and a half years into the
twenty-first Century, Britons foremost telco is still permitted to
distribute it's wares by dandling wires from dead trees.


Do BT poles come from rainforests?

I don't imagine Telewest or NTL would get away with this technique
so why can BT.


Historic. I bet if Telewest/NTL were allowed to use poles they
would - must be much cheaper to get wire into a property than
digging up the street and gardens.


Actually in at least one part of Nottingham they (Diamond/NTL)have indeed
flown their wires from poles & if you think BT's look untidy you aught to
see those...



Kráftéé May 25th 04 12:09 AM

OT B.T. vs the rain forests
 
Ian Stirling wrote:
Hiram Hackenbacker wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:27:11 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

I was outside my house contemplating the BT's contribution to the
landscape and wondered why, three and a half years into the
twenty-first Century, Britons foremost telco is still permitted
to distribute it's wares by dandling wires from dead trees.


Do BT poles come from rainforests?


At least the one I sawed through seemed to be pine, with lots of
creosote.


So it's you going around cutting into poles is it...

Better be quiet about it as old nick is involved...

(on a more serious note it is actually happening)...



Ian Stirling May 25th 04 12:10 AM

OT B.T. vs the rain forests
 
"Kr?ft??" wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Hiram Hackenbacker wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:27:11 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

I was outside my house contemplating the BT's contribution to the
landscape and wondered why, three and a half years into the
twenty-first Century, Britons foremost telco is still permitted
to distribute it's wares by dandling wires from dead trees.

Do BT poles come from rainforests?


At least the one I sawed through seemed to be pine, with lots of
creosote.


So it's you going around cutting into poles is it...

Better be quiet about it as old nick is involved...

(on a more serious note it is actually happening)...


And I thought it was just the crack assault digger squadron.

They cut it down first (I'm not completely sure why)ault digger squadron.

They cut it down first (I'm not completely sure why).

Kráftéé May 25th 04 08:05 PM

OT B.T. vs the rain forests
 
Ian Stirling wrote:
"Kr?ft??" wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Hiram Hackenbacker wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:27:11 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

I was outside my house contemplating the BT's contribution to
the landscape and wondered why, three and a half years into the
twenty-first Century, Britons foremost telco is still permitted
to distribute it's wares by dandling wires from dead trees.

Do BT poles come from rainforests?

At least the one I sawed through seemed to be pine, with lots of
creosote.


So it's you going around cutting into poles is it...

Better be quiet about it as old nick is involved...

(on a more serious note it is actually happening)...


And I thought it was just the crack assault digger squadron.

They cut it down first (I'm not completely sure why)ault digger
squadron.

They cut it down first (I'm not completely sure why).


The ones I'm referring to are/were still standing (just).



K May 25th 04 09:16 PM

OT B.T. vs the rain forests
 
On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:15:15 +0000, Ian Stirling wrote:

At least the one I sawed through seemed to be pine, with lots of
creosote.


Did you know creosote has been banned? I kid you not, just do the rounds
to your local DIY stores and garden centres and try to get hold of some.

Personally I blame Blunkett. ID cards, counter terrorism, immigration,
wood preservatives, it's all part of the wider conspiracy.

K

Ian Stirling May 25th 04 09:38 PM

OT B.T. vs the rain forests
 
K wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:15:15 +0000, Ian Stirling wrote:

At least the one I sawed through seemed to be pine, with lots of
creosote.


Did you know creosote has been banned? I kid you not, just do the rounds
to your local DIY stores and garden centres and try to get hold of some.


Makes about as much sense as changing the formulation in CCA wood.

Rory May 28th 04 10:24 PM

OT B.T. vs the rain forests
 

"Kráftéé" wrote in message
...
Ian Stirling wrote:
Hiram Hackenbacker wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:27:11 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

I was outside my house contemplating the BT's contribution to the
landscape and wondered why, three and a half years into the
twenty-first Century, Britons foremost telco is still permitted
to distribute it's wares by dandling wires from dead trees.

Do BT poles come from rainforests?


At least the one I sawed through seemed to be pine, with lots of
creosote.


So it's you going around cutting into poles is it...

Better be quiet about it as old nick is involved...



Surely you mean 'old bill'.... or are you suggesting Satan himself is up to
his old tricks? ;)

(on a more serious note it is actually happening)...





All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright © 2004-6 BroadbandBanter.co.uk