OT B.T. vs the rain forests

Old May 24th 04, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Default OT B.T. vs the rain forests

I was outside my house contemplating the BT's contribution to the landscape
and wondered why, three and a half years into the twenty-first Century,
Britons foremost telco is still permitted to distribute it's wares by
dandling wires from dead trees.
I don't imagine Telewest or NTL would get away with this technique so why
can BT.

(I have this vague memory of something called Redifusion, someone tell me
that was just a bad dream)

Graham.

%Profound_observation.%

Old May 24th 04, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:27:11 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

I was outside my house contemplating the BT's contribution to the landscape
and wondered why, three and a half years into the twenty-first Century,
Britons foremost telco is still permitted to distribute it's wares by
dandling wires from dead trees.

Do BT poles come from rainforests?

I don't imagine Telewest or NTL would get away with this technique so why
can BT.

Historic. I bet if Telewest/NTL were allowed to use poles they would
- must be much cheaper to get wire into a property than digging up the
street and gardens.

(I have this vague memory of something called Redifusion, someone tell me
that was just a bad dream)

Redifusion was no dream.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old May 24th 04, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Hiram Hackenbacker wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:27:11 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

I was outside my house contemplating the BT's contribution to the landscape
and wondered why, three and a half years into the twenty-first Century,
Britons foremost telco is still permitted to distribute it's wares by
dandling wires from dead trees.

Do BT poles come from rainforests?

At least the one I sawed through seemed to be pine, with lots of
creosote.
Old May 25th 04, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Hiram Hackenbacker wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:27:11 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

I was outside my house contemplating the BT's contribution to the
landscape and wondered why, three and a half years into the
twenty-first Century, Britons foremost telco is still permitted to
distribute it's wares by dandling wires from dead trees.

Do BT poles come from rainforests?

I don't imagine Telewest or NTL would get away with this technique
so why can BT.

Historic. I bet if Telewest/NTL were allowed to use poles they
would - must be much cheaper to get wire into a property than
digging up the street and gardens.

Actually in at least one part of Nottingham they (Diamond/NTL)have indeed
flown their wires from poles & if you think BT's look untidy you aught to
see those...

Old May 25th 04, 12:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Ian Stirling wrote:
Hiram Hackenbacker wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:27:11 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

I was outside my house contemplating the BT's contribution to the
landscape and wondered why, three and a half years into the
twenty-first Century, Britons foremost telco is still permitted
to distribute it's wares by dandling wires from dead trees.

Do BT poles come from rainforests?

At least the one I sawed through seemed to be pine, with lots of
creosote.

So it's you going around cutting into poles is it...

Better be quiet about it as old nick is involved...

(on a more serious note it is actually happening)...

Old May 25th 04, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

"Kr?ft??" wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Hiram Hackenbacker wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:27:11 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

I was outside my house contemplating the BT's contribution to the
landscape and wondered why, three and a half years into the
twenty-first Century, Britons foremost telco is still permitted
to distribute it's wares by dandling wires from dead trees.

Do BT poles come from rainforests?

At least the one I sawed through seemed to be pine, with lots of
creosote.

So it's you going around cutting into poles is it...

Better be quiet about it as old nick is involved...

(on a more serious note it is actually happening)...

And I thought it was just the crack assault digger squadron.

They cut it down first (I'm not completely sure why)ault digger squadron.

They cut it down first (I'm not completely sure why).
Old May 25th 04, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Ian Stirling wrote:
"Kr?ft??" wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Hiram Hackenbacker wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:27:11 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

I was outside my house contemplating the BT's contribution to
the landscape and wondered why, three and a half years into the
twenty-first Century, Britons foremost telco is still permitted
to distribute it's wares by dandling wires from dead trees.

Do BT poles come from rainforests?

At least the one I sawed through seemed to be pine, with lots of
creosote.

So it's you going around cutting into poles is it...

Better be quiet about it as old nick is involved...

(on a more serious note it is actually happening)...

And I thought it was just the crack assault digger squadron.

They cut it down first (I'm not completely sure why)ault digger
squadron.

They cut it down first (I'm not completely sure why).

The ones I'm referring to are/were still standing (just).

Old May 25th 04, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:15:15 +0000, Ian Stirling wrote:

At least the one I sawed through seemed to be pine, with lots of
creosote.

Did you know creosote has been banned? I kid you not, just do the rounds
to your local DIY stores and garden centres and try to get hold of some.

Personally I blame Blunkett. ID cards, counter terrorism, immigration,
wood preservatives, it's all part of the wider conspiracy.

Old May 25th 04, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

K wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:15:15 +0000, Ian Stirling wrote:

At least the one I sawed through seemed to be pine, with lots of
creosote.

Did you know creosote has been banned? I kid you not, just do the rounds
to your local DIY stores and garden centres and try to get hold of some.

Makes about as much sense as changing the formulation in CCA wood.
Old May 28th 04, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rory

"Kráftéé" wrote in message
news
Ian Stirling wrote:
Hiram Hackenbacker wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:27:11 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

I was outside my house contemplating the BT's contribution to the
landscape and wondered why, three and a half years into the
twenty-first Century, Britons foremost telco is still permitted
to distribute it's wares by dandling wires from dead trees.

Do BT poles come from rainforests?

At least the one I sawed through seemed to be pine, with lots of
creosote.

So it's you going around cutting into poles is it...

Better be quiet about it as old nick is involved...

Surely you mean 'old bill'.... or are you suggesting Satan himself is up to
his old tricks?

(on a more serious note it is actually happening)...