Is BT Broadband possible at 62.5 line loss?

Old May 25th 04, 01:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default Is BT Broadband possible at 62.5 line loss?

I've been refused BB by BT on the ground that it's just not possible at 62.5
dB line loss (nothing possible above 60, they claim). What is the technical
position? Could BB conceivably work at 62.5? 60 seems too much of a 'round
figure' to be credible as a cast iron boundary between 'available' and
'unavailable'! Are they just 'playing safe'?

--
Paul Clarke

---

Old May 25th 04, 01:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Paul wrote:
I've been refused BB by BT on the ground that it's just not possible at 62.5
dB line loss (nothing possible above 60, they claim). What is the technical
position? Could BB conceivably work at 62.5? 60 seems too much of a 'round
figure' to be credible as a cast iron boundary between 'available' and
'unavailable'! Are they just 'playing safe'?

There is no cast iron boundary.
At some number, enough ADSL lines will be unreliable that the cost of the
engineers call-outs for faults will cost BT more than some internally
generated budget.

For example, my line Whooshed at around 60.5db (but got a smiley-face,
so I got it.)

My current attenuation is 63.9, with 9.8 SNR margin.
There have been no dropouts today or yesterday, but the five days
before that had 584/17/96/0/193 seconds of unavailability.

Old May 25th 04, 01:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Iain A F Fleming" wrote in message
I have ADSL working just fine with consistent line loss of 61.3dB (S/R
margin of 5dB), yet I get the full 512/256 data rates. I never see any
problems with loss of signal or frame, althoiugh the errored seconds
might be higher than others see.

The current dB limit is 64 if you have ADSL enabled on the line.

Its 60 with no ADSL on... though as Chris says both of these are currently
being reviewed.

Regards
Sunil

Old May 25th 04, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

BT, like any other commercial company, has to sell products that will
actually work. Although ADSL may well work with 62.5dB line loss the limit
has to be set somewhere. It would be stupid for BT to set a limit that might
in many case not work. In other words they have to leave some degree of
safety margin. It may be tough on you but that is the way it is.

Old May 25th 04, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Tx2" wrote in message
t...
Is there any way of checking what dB limit there is on the line yourself
or does this have to be done by a BT engineer?

Mine is pretty low i recall, but i'd like to know just the same.

Some ADSL routers will give you a reading but that won't necessarily agree
with BT's own test equipment (which is what counts)

Regards
Sunil

Old May 25th 04, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Sunil Sood wrote:
"Iain A F Fleming" wrote in
message ...
I have ADSL working just fine with consistent line loss of 61.3dB
(S/R margin of 5dB), yet I get the full 512/256 data rates. I
never see any problems with loss of signal or frame, althoiugh the
errored seconds might be higher than others see.

The current dB limit is 64 if you have ADSL enabled on the line.

Its 60 with no ADSL on... though as Chris says both of these are
currently being reviewed.

Regards
Sunil

Sorry Sunil, it's still 60db with DSL enabled (how are you going to test the
line loss of an ADSL signal without having it on the line anyway)...

Problems arise as different routers/modems give different test results, but
the official answer is (using the BT Router) is 60db is it.

The biggest problem when you get to those loss levels is the signal to noise
ratio, if it's reasonable then it will work, it it's lousy it won't (even at
considerably better line loss levels)