Broadband on one wire?

Old May 25th 04, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Broadband on one wire?

Had an BT engineer out at my house today, a problem with the voice part
of my service rather than ADSL.

This guy told me he wasn't ADSL trained, but told me of an ADSL trained
colleague who'd had experience of ADSL working (albeit *very* slowly)
with only one wire out the copper pair working.

Is this possible?
Old May 25th 04, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

Is this possible?

Yes, ADSL will some times continue to work "one leg dis" or with a "full
short" on the pair.

Phill

Old May 25th 04, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Tue, 25 May 2004 19:17:04 +0100, S wrote:

Had an BT engineer out at my house today, a problem with the voice part
of my service rather than ADSL.

This guy told me he wasn't ADSL trained, but told me of an ADSL trained
colleague who'd had experience of ADSL working (albeit *very* slowly)
with only one wire out the copper pair working.

Is this possible?

I think someone else has reported this before.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old May 25th 04, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

"S" wrote in message
Had an BT engineer out at my house today, a problem with the voice part
of my service rather than ADSL.

This guy told me he wasn't ADSL trained, but told me of an ADSL trained
colleague who'd had experience of ADSL working (albeit *very* slowly)
with only one wire out the copper pair working.

Is this possible?

Yes, I've come across a few occaisions where this has happened I've even
come across a couple where there was no detectable metallic contact on
either leg & the dam thing still kept working..

No I don't know the science but I do know it happened...

Old May 25th 04, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Landregan

"Kráftéé" wrote in message

"S" wrote in message
Had an BT engineer out at my house today, a problem with the voice part
of my service rather than ADSL.

This guy told me he wasn't ADSL trained, but told me of an ADSL trained
colleague who'd had experience of ADSL working (albeit *very* slowly)
with only one wire out the copper pair working.

Is this possible?

Yes, I've come across a few occaisions where this has happened I've even
come across a couple where there was no detectable metallic contact on
either leg & the dam thing still kept working..

No I don't know the science but I do know it happened...

the ADSL signal is low frequency RF, so if theres a small gap in the wire it
will induce accross the gap.

Old May 26th 04, 01:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

"Paul Landregan" wrote in message
g...

"Kráftéé" wrote in message

"S" wrote in message
Had an BT engineer out at my house today, a problem with the voice

part
of my service rather than ADSL.

This guy told me he wasn't ADSL trained, but told me of an ADSL

trained
colleague who'd had experience of ADSL working (albeit *very* slowly)
with only one wire out the copper pair working.

Is this possible?

Yes, I've come across a few occaisions where this has happened I've even
come across a couple where there was no detectable metallic contact on
either leg & the dam thing still kept working..

No I don't know the science but I do know it happened...

the ADSL signal is low frequency RF, so if theres a small gap in the wire

it
will induce accross the gap.

Ta for that, it fits what I actually found..