ADSL and my TV Set

Old May 26th 04, 12:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
c_web

Default ADSL and my TV Set

Hi
my internet connection slows down and drops every 5 minutes if i have
my tv set on.
The tv set is on the other side of the home and does not share any
cables/wires with my computer or adsl. It uses an external antenna.

I made some tests. When i turn off the tv set, adsl connection works
at maximum speed. When i turn it on, adsl slows down and drops in 2/3
minutes.

Any Help?
Thank you
Old May 26th 04, 01:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

"c_web" wrote in message
om...
Hi
my internet connection slows down and drops every 5 minutes if i have
my tv set on.
The tv set is on the other side of the home and does not share any
cables/wires with my computer or adsl. It uses an external antenna.

I made some tests. When i turn off the tv set, adsl connection works
at maximum speed. When i turn it on, adsl slows down and drops in 2/3
minutes.

It does sound as if the TV is producing an RF signal which is interferring
with your ADSL signal. It can happen but is rare, the last largish number
of cases I heard of were being caused by the chasing Christmas tree lights.

Possible cure could be for you to put RF filtering on your mains leads...

Have you tried another TV? Have you got a laptop you could try the ADSL out
with whilst the TV is on? Is the path of your aeriel lead near/alongside
your telephone downlead or extension wiring?

Old May 26th 04, 09:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"c_web" wrote in message
om...
Hi
my internet connection slows down and drops every 5 minutes if i have
my tv set on.
The tv set is on the other side of the home and does not share any
cables/wires with my computer or adsl. It uses an external antenna.

I made some tests. When i turn off the tv set, adsl connection works
at maximum speed. When i turn it on, adsl slows down and drops in 2/3
minutes.

Are you using sky?

Jc.

Old May 26th 04, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Josey wrote:
"c_web" wrote in message
om...
Hi
my internet connection slows down and drops every 5 minutes if i have
my tv set on.
The tv set is on the other side of the home and does not share any
cables/wires with my computer or adsl. It uses an external antenna.

I made some tests. When i turn off the tv set, adsl connection works
at maximum speed. When i turn it on, adsl slows down and drops in 2/3
minutes.

Are you using sky?

Jc.

FWIW I have Sky and the digibox sits on top of my 32" TV. I've had my
wireless ADSL router sitting beside the digibox on top of the TV and a video
sender next to that for the last 5 months. The TV and amp are on for around
16 hours each day, as is my wireless laptop. I have never experienced the
symptoms described above. I also have a 5.1 surround amp running off the
same 13 amp socket and an Xbox wired into the router. There are also two
DECT phones, two bluetooth and wi-fi laptops, two bluetooth PDAs and two
bluetooth phones often on all within the same 12'*13' living room. The
signal remains solid at all times.

While I'm not disputing what the OP is saying, I struggle to understand how
a TV can screw up an ADSL line. This seems like a very odd problem. Good
luck with a solution.

--
Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.

Old May 26th 04, 05:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony Bowles

"c_web" wrote in message
om...
Hi
my internet connection slows down and drops every 5 minutes if i have
my tv set on.
The tv set is on the other side of the home and does not share any
cables/wires with my computer or adsl. It uses an external antenna.

I made some tests. When i turn off the tv set, adsl connection works
at maximum speed. When i turn it on, adsl slows down and drops in 2/3
minutes.

Any Help?
Thank you

It may be on the other side of the house but is it anywhere near the main BT
socket that comes into the house?

As one poster has said, he has a bells and whistles setup with no problems.
I have a similar setup (without broadband) and when I first set it up the
remote died on the amp. After a lot of messing around, attaching every piece
of equipment one at a time I finally plugged the aerial in and it died
again. So I bought an RF surge protector thingy from PC World and the
problem was solved. The shop I got the amp from had tested it before hand
and it was fine. When I told them what I had found out they just nodded and
said they'd seen some bizarre things happen on different set ups.

Anyway like someone else said, try an RF filter.

Anth

Old May 26th 04, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan Wood

Any Help?
Thank you

Many modern TV's contain switched-mode power supplies that can generate lots
of nasty RF noise.
(They still seem to get 'CE' approval marks though!)

To be strong enough to interfere with your ADSL, it seems likely that your
telephone line may run close to either the TV antenna cable or some mains
wiring. Can any cables be re-routed?

Remember that your TV, computer and modem are all connect together by the
mains wiring in your house, so any nasties you TV puts out could find their
way to the broadband set up.

You can buy RF filters, but I suspect you only need to add a little
attenuation to things to overcome your problem. I'd suspect mains-borne
interference rather than through the TV antenna so start there.

You need some 'ferrite' cores, which can be bought. However, you may be
able to salvage some from a cheap medium-wave radio if you've got one to
scrap. The ferrite will be a black rod-shaped thing. Also available in the
scan-coils of old TV's - but maybe that's a bit overkill and cheaper to buy
some!

Anyway, once you have some ferrite, you need to wrap the mains lead to the
telly around it several times (always in the same direction) and as close to
the telly as possible. That should hopefully 'choke off' any RF leaving your
TV set in that way.

If still no joy, try the same thing with the antenna downlead. (Shouldn't
affect the picture - if it does you need new coax!)

If you need more, try adding ferrite chokes to the leads on your broadband
set up (EXCEPT the phone line, or you'll choke the ADSL signal!). You can
buy small 'clip-on' chokes which are handy for computer cables...

It might sound daft, but trust me - simple ferrite cores can work wonders in
the modern world.

HTH,
Dan.

Old May 26th 04, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message

FWIW I have Sky and the digibox sits on top of my 32" TV. I've had my
wireless ADSL router sitting beside the digibox on top of the TV and a

video
sender next to that for the last 5 months.

Sure but I considered the only thing that might connected between a TV a
/long/ way away from his ADSL kit was the possibility of a Sky box being
switched on at the same time as the TV, and being plugged into the same
telephone line as his ADSL, maybe without a filter. Of course it's a guess.

Jc.

Old May 26th 04, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Josey wrote:
"Tiny Tim" wrote in message

FWIW I have Sky and the digibox sits on top of my 32" TV. I've had my
wireless ADSL router sitting beside the digibox on top of the TV and
a video sender next to that for the last 5 months.

Sure but I considered the only thing that might connected between a
TV a /long/ way away from his ADSL kit was the possibility of a Sky
box being switched on at the same time as the TV, and being plugged
into the same telephone line as his ADSL, maybe without a filter. Of
course it's a guess.

Jc.

Ah yes, interesting point. My digibox has not been connected to the phone
line for the last 18 months. But when it was connected, during the first 12
months of contract, I had another ADSL setup with a plain old Alcatel froggy
rather than the current wireless modem/router. The connection was still rock
solid back then too. But it is still worth the OP checking out that line of
enquiry.

--
Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.

Old May 27th 04, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

(EXCEPT the phone line, or you'll choke the ADSL signal!).

Hi Dan,
I am not sure the above is quite correct.
I think that if he winds the adsl pair round a ferrite ring or rod he will
in effect make a bifillar choke, or common-mode filter. It would have far
more effect on asymmetrical interference than the balanced signal on the
pair. Anyway it can do no harm to try.

I agree 100% with all the other advice in your post.

If the OP would post the make and model of his TV I will try to find out if
there are any known EMC issues.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old May 28th 04, 01:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan Wood

in effect make a bifillar choke, or common-mode filter. It would have far
more effect on asymmetrical interference than the balanced signal on the
pair. Anyway it can do no harm to try.

Quite correct, but I don't know how 'balanced' ADSL lines are. They seem to
work when one leg is open circuit anyway!