Wireless setup help

Old May 26th 04, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair J. Smith

Default Wireless setup help

Hi All,

Need help setting up a LinkSys WAG54G with WPC54G on my laptop. I'm
currently using a Binatone adsl 500 USB on PlusNet and it works fine. The
aforementioned equipment turned up today but I'm struggling to get it to
work.

So currently enabled on ADSL with my laptop, Plusnet and USB Binatone 500,
no problem. Only using a single computer. Seem to be able to get the
wireless router to talk to the notebook adapter as the link light flashes
and I get the systray messages "excellent connection"

So I assume something wrong with the settings and I can't seem to find them
on the PlusNet website.

All/any guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks

Alastair Smith

Old May 26th 04, 08:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 25 May 2004 23:33:06 +0100, "Alastair J. Smith"
wrote:

Need help setting up a LinkSys WAG54G with WPC54G on my laptop. I'm
currently using a Binatone adsl 500 USB on PlusNet and it works fine. The
aforementioned equipment turned up today but I'm struggling to get it to
work.

can you connect to the WAG with a cable and talk to its config pages,
in order to set up the ADSL connection on it ? How far did you get -
what works and what doesn't ?

have you RTM and establsihed what IP address range it works in, and
did it allocate an IP address to the laptop when you connected to it?
often IME laptops boot up so slowly the DHCP process gives up so you
end up with a good wireless signal but no IP connection, doing a
Repair on the connection usually renews it OK.

You'll need to tell us you OS etc if you want useful advice

Phil
Old May 29th 04, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair J. Smith

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
news
can you connect to the WAG with a cable and talk to its config pages,
in order to set up the ADSL connection on it ? How far did you get -
what works and what doesn't ?

I can connect to the config pages, and have setup router as per manual and
save settings. Not sure what works and what doesn't, I'm only used to
modems, routers are new to me.

have you RTM and establsihed what IP address range it works in, and
did it allocate an IP address to the laptop when you connected to it?

Manual isn't exactly full of details, only got as far as the LinkSYS IP
setup address (http://192.168.1.1/)

often IME laptops boot up so slowly the DHCP process gives up so you
end up with a good wireless signal but no IP connection, doing a
Repair on the connection usually renews it OK.

Only a month old laptop with 2.80GHz and 512MB and I've deleted pretty much
anything non-essential from startup, so it's fairly quick to boot.

You'll need to tell us you OS etc if you want useful advice

XP Home SP1

Thanks in advance

Old May 29th 04, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Alastair J. Smith wrote:

Hi All,

Need help setting up a LinkSys WAG54G with WPC54G on my laptop. I'm
currently using a Binatone adsl 500 USB on PlusNet and it works fine.
The aforementioned equipment turned up today but I'm struggling to
get it to work.

So currently enabled on ADSL with my laptop, Plusnet and USB Binatone
500, no problem. Only using a single computer. Seem to be able to get
the wireless router to talk to the notebook adapter as the link light
flashes and I get the systray messages "excellent connection"

So I assume something wrong with the settings and I can't seem to
find them on the PlusNet website.

All/any guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks

Alastair Smith

Do you have any way of setting up a temporary wired connection between the
router and the laptop? If you can do that, you can tackle the setup problems
one at a time - rather than all together!

I presume that, by default, the router will act as a DHCP server and that
its own default IP address will be 192.168.1.1 or somesuch? (It should say
in the manual).

If you configure the laptop's network connection (TCP/IP on the network
adapter) to get an IP address automatically - and then re-boot it with the
wired connection to the router in place, it should pick up an IP address.

If you then open your browser and enter the router's IP address in the
address field [http://192.168 etc.] you will hopefully get the router's
setup dialogue - where you can set up all the necessary information for it
to be able to connect to your PlusNet account over ADSL.

You will need to disable the software which currently uses the Binatone USB
modem, and make sure that the browser is configured to connect via the
"LAN".

You should then be able to browse the net using the router instead of the
Binatone modem.

Come back when you get that far (or not, as the case may be!), and we'll
work out how to get the wireless bit going!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old May 30th 04, 08:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair J. Smith

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
Alastair J. Smith wrote:
Do you have any way of setting up a temporary wired connection between the
router and the laptop? If you can do that, you can tackle the setup

problems
one at a time - rather than all together!

Yes I am connected via cable - the wireless bit is not the problem.

I presume that, by default, the router will act as a DHCP server and that
its own default IP address will be 192.168.1.1 or somesuch? (It should say
in the manual).

Yes the stup address is as above.

If you configure the laptop's network connection (TCP/IP on the network
adapter) to get an IP address automatically - and then re-boot it with the
wired connection to the router in place, it should pick up an IP address.

If you then open your browser and enter the router's IP address in the
address field [http://192.168 etc.] you will hopefully get the router's
setup dialogue - where you can set up all the necessary information for it
to be able to connect to your PlusNet account over ADSL.

Yep, done that, gone through the setup page and saved the configuration. But
it won't connect, this is where I'm stuck.

You will need to disable the software which currently uses the Binatone

USB
modem, and make sure that the browser is configured to connect via the
"LAN".

I have to pull out the cables and swap connections each time and then reboot
so I can use the the modem to connect. There isn't really any software to
disable, as it's a USB modem, so just an internet page really.

You should then be able to browse the net using the router instead of the
Binatone modem.

Come back when you get that far (or not, as the case may be!), and we'll
work out how to get the wireless bit going!

Yep, it's not hte wireless, it's the fact that I can't seem to get the
router to play ball

Alastair Smith

Old May 30th 04, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair J. Smith

Default Wireless setup help -SUCCESS

"Alastair J. Smith" wrote in message

Still, getting used to this adsl thing, with dial up you have a username and
password. With adsl you have two, at signup I had just put in my username,
instead of .

Sorted, and the wireless works great.

Thanks to all those that replied.