GOSSIPTEL - Launch of UK VoIP Provider with Free SIP Accounts

Old May 26th 04, 01:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Call UK - VoIP PSTN

Default GOSSIPTEL - Launch of UK VoIP Provider with Free SIP Accounts

GossipTel have now officially lauched and are taking registrations.

Offering is:

- Free SIP acount
- Free Voicemail (with email copy of message)
- Free UK PSTN number (0870 National Rate number)
- Full mapping of Caller Line ID (in both to/from PSTN directions)
- Free calls to outbound UK 0800 numbers
- Free download of softphone (X-Lite)
- Pre-pay with credit/debit card for SIP to PSTN calls
- Web based user console
- SIPURA SPA-2000 Terminal Adapters with auto-configuration
- Comprehensive NAT Traversal
- Dedicated help/customer support line

Check out the website (and sign up for FREE) at
http://www.gossiptel.com

Full set of press releases can be downloaded at
http://www.gossiptel.com/about/?pr=yes

Old May 26th 04, 10:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Call UK - VoIP PSTN wrote:

GossipTel have now officially lauched and are taking registrations.

Offering is:

- Free SIP acount
- Free Voicemail (with email copy of message)
- Free UK PSTN number (0870 National Rate number)
- Full mapping of Caller Line ID (in both to/from PSTN directions)
- Free calls to outbound UK 0800 numbers
- Free download of softphone (X-Lite)
- Pre-pay with credit/debit card for SIP to PSTN calls
- Web based user console
- SIPURA SPA-2000 Terminal Adapters with auto-configuration
- Comprehensive NAT Traversal
- Dedicated help/customer support line

I joined up with BT's BBV a few months back so I have a Cisco ATA186,
but I've rarely used it.

Anyone know if I could use this with GossipTel and similar services?
Old May 26th 04, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

S wrote:
Call UK - VoIP PSTN wrote:

GossipTel have now officially lauched and are taking registrations.
Offering is:
- Free SIP acount - Free Voicemail (with email copy of message) - Free
UK PSTN number (0870 National Rate number) - Full mapping of Caller
Line ID (in both to/from PSTN directions) - Free calls to outbound UK
0800 numbers - Free download of softphone (X-Lite) - Pre-pay with
credit/debit card for SIP to PSTN calls - Web based user console -
SIPURA SPA-2000 Terminal Adapters with auto-configuration -
Comprehensive NAT Traversal - Dedicated help/customer support line

I joined up with BT's BBV a few months back so I have a Cisco ATA186,
but I've rarely used it.

Anyone know if I could use this with GossipTel and similar services?

I see no reason why. The ethernet adaptor supplied by Gossiptel is not
a mandatory purchase if you want to use their service.

Given config details being published by Gossiptel, there should be no
reason why you can't use it.

UK-Bug will shortly be reviewing the service as soon as Gossiptel have
shipped the hardware to us (shipped today apparently). Expect a review
(if your interested) shortly.

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins

UK Broadband Usergroup http://www.uk-bug.net
Old May 26th 04, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Andy M Jenkins wrote:

I see no reason why.

Pah ..

"I see no reason why *not*"

Old May 26th 04, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dd

snip

UK-Bug will shortly be reviewing the service as soon as
Gossiptel have shipped the hardware to us (shipped today
apparently). Expect a review (if your interested)
shortly.

The service appears to be the same as the trial offered at
http://www.gradwell.com/voip/
other url at
http://www.voip.org.uk/trial/

even performing a tracert on sip.gossiptel.com goes to asterisk.gradwell.net

Old May 26th 04, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

dd wrote:
snip

UK-Bug will shortly be reviewing the service as soon as
Gossiptel have shipped the hardware to us (shipped today
apparently). Expect a review (if your interested)
shortly.

The service appears to be the same as the trial offered at
http://www.gradwell.com/voip/
other url at
http://www.voip.org.uk/trial/

even performing a tracert on sip.gossiptel.com goes to asterisk.gradwell.net

That would be because Gossiptel is a venture between CallUK, Gradwell,
iDesk, and Gossiptel themselves.

Old May 26th 04, 01:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dd

The service appears to be the same as the trial offered
at http://www.gradwell.com/voip/
other url at
http://www.voip.org.uk/trial/

even performing a tracert on sip.gossiptel.com goes to
asterisk.gradwell.net

That would be because Gossiptel is a venture between
CallUK, Gradwell, iDesk, and Gossiptel themselves.

That would explain it then.

Old May 26th 04, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

dd wrote:
The service appears to be the same as the trial offered
at http://www.gradwell.com/voip/
other url at
http://www.voip.org.uk/trial/

even performing a tracert on sip.gossiptel.com goes to
asterisk.gradwell.net

That would be because Gossiptel is a venture between
CallUK, Gradwell, iDesk, and Gossiptel themselves.

That would explain it then.

Indeed .. we've seen it time and time before.

Corporate faced company operates, but lacking residental customers.
Technology and market now exists, so the corporate faced company
launches a residental faced company to appeal to that market.

Not totally unsupprising. At least if the corporate version of the VoIP
service is any good, residental customers should be in for the same
level of service I would hope. We'll see anyway.

Old May 26th 04, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Gradwell

[ snip discussion about gossiptel running on the gradwell platform ]

On Wed, 26 May 2004 12:17:53 +0100, Andy M Jenkins
wrote:

Corporate faced company operates, but lacking residental customers.
Technology and market now exists, so the corporate faced company
launches a residental faced company to appeal to that market.

Not totally unsupprising. At least if the corporate version of the VoIP
service is any good, residental customers should be in for the same
level of service I would hope. We'll see anyway.

If anything, it may be better. The nice thing about Gossiptel is it is
a collaboration between 3 people who are, respectively, reasonably
good at:

- the internet (gradwell)
- telecoms (calluk)
- customer care + marketing (idesk)

This combination is, I think, really quite powerful.

The gradwell voip services are really the advanced early adopter
services for techies. You'll see the refinded versions filter through
to gossiptel consumer, and later on, business servies.

Additionally, if I get my capacity planning right, you'll see
gossiptel servers split off from the gradwell ones over the next few
months (though it is likely that they may remain on the gradwell
network for some time).

cheers
peter

-- engineering & hosting services for email, web and usenet --
Old May 26th 04, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Gradwell

On Wed, 26 May 2004 09:26:04 +0100, S wrote:

I joined up with BT's BBV a few months back so I have a Cisco ATA186,
but I've rarely used it.

Anyone know if I could use this with GossipTel and similar services?

yes, we have tested it with a Cisco ATA and it works ok, even thought
the ATA is a bit tricky to configure.