Newbie setup and choices question

Old May 26th 04, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rifleman

Default Newbie setup and choices question

I currently have ISDN with NDO and a Domain name that points email to the
pop server at NDO.
BT will be upgrading my exchange in the near future and I would like some
pointers in what direction to go.

Firstly, what are the logistics involved in hosting my own domain name and
mail server? Would the server have to be on and connected 24/7? Would I need
expensive software to do this or are there freeware applications available?

The other question is, if I chose something like BT Broadband (without
email) what suppliers would people recommend to point my domain email at?
( I would be loathe to pay extra above the cost of the broadband
connection).

Many thanks

Old May 26th 04, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Rifleman wrote:
I currently have ISDN with NDO and a Domain name that points email to the
pop server at NDO.
BT will be upgrading my exchange in the near future and I would like some
pointers in what direction to go.

You want to find a provider that supports ISDN-ADSL migration.
With this, you arrange with the ISP a time that the BT engineer arrives,
removes your ISDN box, tests the line for ADSL, and if the line works
it is installed. If not, the ISDN line gets put back at no cost to you.
Otherwise you'd have to pay fees to get ISDN put back.

http://www.plus.net/ for example do this, demon do not.

Firstly, what are the logistics involved in hosting my own domain name and
mail server? Would the server have to be on and connected 24/7? Would I need

Why do you want this, just for mail?

If so, you probably don't want to run it yourself, but use one of the many
services that'll do it for you, and rewrite your mail to come to any
email address.
expensive software to do this or are there freeware applications available?

Yes, no, yes.

The other question is, if I chose something like BT Broadband (without
email) what suppliers would people recommend to point my domain email at?

( I would be loathe to pay extra above the cost of the broadband
connection).

BT broadband isn't especially cheap.
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Plusnet for example offer many, many more services for the price, including
email.
I would appreciate it if you do decide to choose plusnet, you'd enter 'mauve'
into the referrer box.

Old May 27th 04, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Ramsden

Rifleman wrote:

I currently have ISDN with NDO and a Domain name that points email to the
pop server at NDO.
BT will be upgrading my exchange in the near future and I would like some
pointers in what direction to go.

NDO require you to take out their additional package before you can DNS
forwarding. You also must ensure you have a static ip address from them.

I would suggest you go to the ndouser.com to address these matters. Their
are free DNS forwarding services if you have a fixed ip address.

Firstly, what are the logistics involved in hosting my own domain name and
mail server?

Make sure of your fixed ip address first. Test it on www.cjb.net

Find a name to buy .com are the cheapest and easiest to work with, you will
be it's administrator and tech contact.

First find a free dns server get the 2 dns entries then buy your name using
the dns entries.

Inform your dns service provider of of your name and it's static ip address.

Would the server have to be on and connected 24/7?

Mostly but you can take it down for maintenance.

Would I
need expensive software to do this or are there freeware applications
available?

All free Apache, Sendmail. If you download the three iso's of Mandrake 10.0
and load this real easy make sure you switch all your printers, scanners,
usb's on. Mandrake will load into free space on a disc and will work with
Windoze on the same disc if you need to. Better to add a 60Gb disc at 40
though.

You will find your apache server is already configured when you access
localhost or your web site (from outside only). Load all your files into
the web directory at /var/www/html.

The other question is, if I chose something like BT Broadband (without
email) what suppliers would people recommend to point my domain email at?

BT do not give you dns forwarding and last I heard did not give fixed ip
address's. Along with Tiscali, Onetel contention and speed are a joke.
Avoid them like the plague.

I recommend Nildram, Zen and if you live on a London exchange Bulldog which
gives you 1Mbs for 19.99 (note this gives you 256Kbs uploads double the
512Kbs downloads of others.

Good ones

--
Lioncom adsl 4 port router, Nildram adsl running on Redhat 7.3. You can see
and hear me and my pal Joe Longthorne on uktalent.org.