Short term contracts

Old May 26th 04, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jose L G?mez Dans

Default Short term contracts

Hi,
I have finally decided to install broadband at home. In principle, I
could have either cable or ADSL, and while not biased, I think I'd go
for cable (Telewest), as I then get the telly channels, phone and what
have you. However, there seems to be a clause in all of Telewest's
contracts which states that the minimum contract length is 12 months,
which is 6 months more than I wish to commit to initially. I don't
know whether other ADSL ISPs have similar clauses (there are far too
many!).
Whaat I have seen are limits on the amount of stuff you can download,
and on whether you can use P2P services or not. It seems that BT ADSL
has this "problem, but Telewest doesn't.

So, we are essentially talking of a favoured Telewest (albeit it's 12
month contract puts me off), or some ADSL ISP (Eclipse, Nildram...).

any hints much appreciated
Jose
Old May 26th 04, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Jose L G?mez Dans wrote:
Hi,
I have finally decided to install broadband at home. In principle, I
could have either cable or ADSL, and while not biased, I think I'd go
for cable (Telewest), as I then get the telly channels, phone and what
have you. However, there seems to be a clause in all of Telewest's
contracts which states that the minimum contract length is 12 months,
which is 6 months more than I wish to commit to initially. I don't
know whether other ADSL ISPs have similar clauses (there are far too
many!).

Virgin have one-month contracts, with no installation fee (58 quid).
Plusnet are slightly cheaper, and also have lots of extras, but are
slightly cheaper, but do have an installation fee.
I think it breaks even at around 6 months, though I don't remember
the exact figures.
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/
If you decide to go with plusnet, I'd of course appreciate you entering
'mauve' into the referrer box.
Old May 27th 04, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Ian Stirling wrote:

: Virgin have one-month contracts, with no installation fee (58 quid).
: Plusnet are slightly cheaper, and also have lots of extras, but are
: slightly cheaper, but do have an installation fee.
: I think it breaks even at around 6 months, though I don't remember

Plusnet's activation fee is 70.50 with a monthly contract so for short (or
even medium) terms Virgin is going to work out considerably cheaper overall!

Extras on Plusnet?? Looks pretty standard to me!