Confirmation of line activated

Old May 26th 04, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

Default Confirmation of line activated

Could anyone advise me of the best way to check to see if the line has been
upgraded for ADSL, my exchange is due to come on air this Saturday and was
wondering if there is a number or something that checks the line to confirm
ADSL is working.

Many thanks,

Jon

Old May 26th 04, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Jon wrote:

Could anyone advise me of the best way to check to see if the line
has been upgraded for ADSL, my exchange is due to come on air this
Saturday and was wondering if there is a number or something that
checks the line to confirm ADSL is working.

Many thanks,

Jon

I assume that you *have* ordered ADSL for your line? [It won't appear by
magic, just because the exchange is enabled!]

Assuming that you have, why not just connect an ADSL modem or router to the
line, and see whether the sync light comes on?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old May 26th 04, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

"Jon" wrote in message
news
Could anyone advise me of the best way to check to see if the line has

been
upgraded for ADSL, my exchange is due to come on air this Saturday and was
wondering if there is a number or something that checks the line to

confirm
ADSL is working.

Simplest way is to lift your handset and press a button so the dialling tone
disappears and you should hear the hiss on the line. Obviously try this out
on a phone that isn't connected via filter.

Steven.

Old May 26th 04, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
Jon wrote:

Could anyone advise me of the best way to check to see if the line
has been upgraded for ADSL, my exchange is due to come on air this
Saturday and was wondering if there is a number or something that
checks the line to confirm ADSL is working.

Many thanks,

Jon

I assume that you *have* ordered ADSL for your line? [It won't appear by
magic, just because the exchange is enabled!]

Assuming that you have, why not just connect an ADSL modem or router to

the
line, and see whether the sync light comes on?
--

I have placed a order I was just wondering if there was a simple way of
testing to see if it was active, I have connected the modem and the sync

Cheers,

Jon

Old May 26th 04, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:24:33 +0100, "Jon" strung
together this:

I have placed a order I was just wondering if there was a simple way of
testing to see if it was active, I have connected the modem and the sync
light flashes I presume this means it is not working - sorry for the stupid
questions - newbie to bb.

If your connection details are all correctly entered in the router
pages then as soon as the line is active the ADSL light will turn to a
steady green and that's about it. It'll work then!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old May 26th 04, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Jon wrote:

[...]

When the line syncs (i.e. the light stops flashing and is steady), you know
the line has ADSL activated on it. Your ISP should also be able to tell you
if it's been activated.

Dominic

------
ICBroadband Tech Support - working for you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
www.icbroadband.com/support
24 hour service status information telephone: 0870 760 5933

Old May 26th 04, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:37:10 +0100, "Dominic"
strung together this:

Although, a modem/router should sync without a valid username/password,
because it needs synchronisation before you can attempt to authenticate.

Well, yes. I was meaning if all the details are there then the
connection from the browser will work. If they aren't then the line
will work, you just won't be able to do anything with it!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old May 26th 04, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:37:10 +0100, "Dominic"
strung together this:

Although, a modem/router should sync without a valid username/password,
because it needs synchronisation before you can attempt to authenticate.

Well, yes. I was meaning if all the details are there then the
connection from the browser will work. If they aren't then the line
will work, you just won't be able to do anything with it!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd

Thanks for everyones help, hopefully it will be up and working on Saturday

Jon

Old May 26th 04, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:37:10 +0100, "Dominic"
strung together this:

Although, a modem/router should sync without a valid username/password,
because it needs synchronisation before you can attempt to authenticate.

Well, yes. I was meaning if all the details are there then the
connection from the browser will work. If they aren't then the line
will work, you just won't be able to do anything with it!

Quite true; I was being pedantic.

What is worse - sync'd but useless or no sync at all?

Dominic

Old May 26th 04, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:51:54 +0100, "Dominic"
strung together this:

What is worse - sync'd but useless or no sync at all?

Shudder Doesn't bear thinking about!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd