ADSL DM602 Win98SE No Internet Access

Old May 26th 04, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveM

Default ADSL DM602 Win98SE No Internet Access

I have recently installed a DM602 Ethernet ADSL modem, a PCMCIA 10/100 NIC
on my sister's lowly old TravelMate notebook (133MHz 64Mb) but it can't see
the internet.

The notebook can access the DM602's internal set-up pages with no problem
but cannot see anything on the internet; cannot even ping known internet IP
addresses.

If I plug her notebook off of the RJ45 cable and plug my XP PRO notebook on
the end, my notebook can access the internet perfectly.

If I plug both her notebook and mine into a hub then they can talk to each
other perfectly.

Earlier on in this adventure, her notebook had an old 10Mbps NIC and that
one could also see the DM602 config panels but would fetch one and only one
page from the internet. It was not coming from cache - you can choose any
page you like and it would fetch it - though only slowly. I decided that the
ancient 10Mbps NIC was having trouble talking to the autospeed port on the
DM602 and hence upgraded to the 10/100Mbps NIC.

Somewhere along the way, IPCONFIG got totally screwed. Had to delete all
protocols and re-install Win98SE over the top of itself in order to fix
that.

At present the NIC is configured with all default values (as is the XP PRO
notebook that works). I've tried it with fixed IP addresses and Tiscali's
DNS values plumbed in. And I've tried it with ATM enabled. And all
combinations thereof and it makes no difference.

Any ideas would be most welcome,
Kind Regards
Steve

Old May 26th 04, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

I'll asume that, since the TravelMate can talk to the router admin page &
your XP notebook, your IP addresses for your LAN are all OK and so it sounds
like the TravelMate might not have its default gateway configured. If you
open up the Control Panel, Network, TCP/IP Properties and then the Gateway
tab, you'll find default gateway. This should be set to the IP address of
your DM602 router.

David.

news:[email protected]n...

Old May 26th 04, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message [email protected], SteveM
writes
I have recently installed a DM602 Ethernet ADSL modem, a PCMCIA 10/100 NIC
on my sister's lowly old TravelMate notebook (133MHz 64Mb) but it can't see
the internet.

Got a software firewall enabled?
--
Pete Devlin
A man's home is his castle, in a manor of speaking.
Old May 29th 04, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveM

Thanks for the reply. I have previously tried setting the Default Gateway
address to 192.168.0.1 - the router's address - but without success. But
I'll give it another go and see what happens.

I tried 2 sets of settings...

IP=192.168.0.2 Subnet 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.0.1 DNS Tiscali's
Primary DNS 2ry DNS Tiscali's Secondary DNS

and

IP=Automatically obtain, use DHCP, everything else blank

Other people have expressed the opinion that perhaps this lowly old
TravelMate doesn't have sufficient power (133MHz 64Mb). Yet it works
perfectly when connected to my cable modem setup with the automatic settings
above. It just doesn't work on my sister's ADSL setup yet I can't fault her
ADSL setup since my own laptop will work on that one without problem.

Steve

"David" wrote in message
I'll asume that, since the TravelMate can talk to the router admin page &
your XP notebook, your IP addresses for your LAN are all OK and so it

sounds
like the TravelMate might not have its default gateway configured. If you
open up the Control Panel, Network, TCP/IP Properties and then the Gateway
tab, you'll find default gateway. This should be set to the IP address of
your DM602 router.

David.

news:[email protected]

Old May 29th 04, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveM

No I don't have a s/w firewall installed on my sister's notebook. I do have
ZoneAlarm PRO on my own notebook and, as expected, when I connect my own
notebook to her ADSL DM602 then ZA reports a new network found, assigns it
internet status and the notebook is instantly live on the internet. However,
my sister's notebook, with no firewall, won't go live on her own ADSL
broadband connection. However, connecting it to my own cable broadband
network it goes straight online with no problem at all.

Old May 29th 04, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , SteveM
writes
I tried 2 sets of settings...

IP=192.168.0.2 Subnet 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.0.1 DNS Tiscali's
Primary DNS 2ry DNS Tiscali's Secondary DNS

I think this is your problem. try this:

IP=192.168.0.2 Subnet 255.0.0.0 Gateway 192.168.0.1 DNS 192.168.0.1

the router effectively becomes your DNS server. You can set up where it
gets its DNS info from in the router set up.
Old May 30th 04, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ian.Grindey

pete devlin wrote:

In message , SteveM
writes
I tried 2 sets of settings...

IP=192.168.0.2 Subnet 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.0.1 DNS Tiscali's
Primary DNS 2ry DNS Tiscali's Secondary DNS

I think this is your problem. try this:

IP=192.168.0.2 Subnet 255.0.0.0 Gateway 192.168.0.1 DNS 192.168.0.1

the router effectively becomes your DNS server. You can set up where it
gets its DNS info from in the router set up.

Reasonable idea except for the subnet mask .

With that subnet mask you will be excluding a lot of external addresses
192.168.x.x should have a mask of no greater than /16 ie 255.255.0.0
192.1 .x.x is a valid Internet address. Most people use a class C mask and
an address of 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0 /24

I cant see why your settings don't work they are correct ,try pinging
tiscalis dns servers ip address if that works then your problem is dns if
not then it's network Can you ping the router from the PC if not then you
wont get very far

Are you sure that your service works at all ,ie is your adsl faulty or have
you got the wrong user details ?

good luck with tiscali
--
Certified Microsoft free
Checked with Suse 9.1
Old May 30th 04, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , ian.Grindey
writes
Reasonable idea except for the subnet mask .

With that subnet mask you will be excluding a lot of external addresses
192.168.x.x should have a mask of no greater than /16 ie
255.255.0.0192.1 .x.x is a valid Internet address. Most people use a
class C mask and an address of 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0 /24

Indeed. Just copied from mine which uses the 10.x.x.x range. My bad. The
point was to set the DNS to the router however. You have eagle eyes.