Pipex FTP and NNTP challenge

Old May 26th 04, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
manbo

Default Pipex FTP and NNTP challenge

I've had my Pipex account for a few weeks now. Registered for my DSL
webspace the other day and am having trouble connecting the the dsl
ftp server.

I'm connecting from a Windows 2000 PC behind a D-Link 504 modem
router. The firewall filtering is off on the D-link hardware. I really
can't see anything wrong on my end as I'm able to connect to other FTP
sites. I find it strange that I get time-outs when trying to connect
to the Pipex FTP and Newsgroup servers. Strangely enough, I can ping
the FTP server, so I know its receiving and sending back ICMP
requests, but I am failing to connect via FTP port 21. I've even been
able to try and connect via http - receiving an error that the server
doesn't accept HTTP requests. At least that's something!

I have been able to access my Pipex FTP account from work, on a
private internal subnet. I've also been able to get an error back from
the news server after attempting to connect to it - telling me my IP
isn't allowed to connect from there.

I've tried enabling port forwarding on port 21 on the D-link 504, but
that hasn't made a difference. I reiterate that this has been
frustrating as I can connect via port 21 to other FTP servers
flawlessly.

I've scoured the internet and newsgroups for people who've suffered
something similar to this. I do understand that the news server is IP
restricted to Pipex IP addresses.

Suggestions anyone?
Old May 27th 04, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

This will sound simple, but have you ever got in?

If not, are you sure that you have the password and username entered
properly?

I mention this because I find Pipex confusing in the ways in which it
requires passwords in different places -- access email, ftp and so
one.

For example, Dial and DSL have done things differently in the past.
They do seem to be settling down now though.

address is dslftp.dsl.pipex.com

username is just username (none of the extensions required elsewhere)

password is, er, password.

MK

On 26 May 2004 13:35:00 -0700, (manbo) wrote:

[...]

Michael Kenward Words for sale
Old May 27th 04, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
manbo

This will sound simple, but have you ever got in?

Yes, I've managed to log in just fine from my PC at work. I've
uploaded an index.html file from there.

If not, are you sure that you have the password and username entered
properly?

I mention this because I find Pipex confusing in the ways in which it
requires passwords in different places -- access email, ftp and so
one.

For example, Dial and DSL have done things differently in the past.
They do seem to be settling down now though.

address is dslftp.dsl.pipex.com

username is just username (none of the extensions required elsewhere)

password is, er, password.

MK

Thanks for that, but the problem is not with username/password errors.
I get errors saying that I can't connect to port 21. As I get similar
problems with the Pipex news server Pipex have suggested that it may
be my hardware.

I initially thought that this could not be possible as I have been
able to access other FTP sites immediately (the Pipex FTP server times
out when I attempt to connect on port 21). I am now trying to figure
out ways to change the available ports at the console level of my
D-Link DSL 504.

No luck just yet.