Please help me choose an ISP

Old May 27th 04, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Crusader

Default Please help me choose an ISP

I have just 1 main criteria...

They must have a good free binaries newsserver.

Obviously, cheaper the better as well..

Thanks in advance
Old May 27th 04, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Domestos

Sounds like you want free music

Virgin provide a good newsserver option ....

And they do not have a 12 month contract either...

Domestos

om...

Old May 27th 04, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alexander Mann

The Crusader wrote:

I have just 1 main criteria...

They must have a good free binaries newsserver.

Obviously, cheaper the better as well..

Thanks in advance

beta.usenet.plus.net is meant to be good

--
Alexander Mann

Old May 27th 04, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Alexander Mann wrote:
The Crusader wrote:

I have just 1 main criteria...

They must have a good free binaries newsserver.

Obviously, cheaper the better as well..

Thanks in advance

beta.usenet.plus.net is meant to be good

It's now news.plus.net.
I'm downloading headers that have been added since the change, to see
how it's working.
Comparing yesterdays completions with giganews/usenetserver gives
favourable results.
Old May 27th 04, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Crusader

Alexander Mann wrote in message ...
The Crusader wrote:

I have just 1 main criteria...

They must have a good free binaries newsserver.

Obviously, cheaper the better as well..

Thanks in advance

beta.usenet.plus.net is meant to be good

Actually, I'm currently on NTL, who also provide usenet service for
Virgin. While speed and completion is good, they have ditched too many
of the binary groups, especially those with mainly larger binary files
(around 50mb files). This is the main reason for me leaving to find
another isp.

I know Claranet has a good newsserver, but they are rather expensive.
Old May 27th 04, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Black Shuck

The Crusader wrote:
I have just 1 main criteria...

They must have a good free binaries newsserver.

Obviously, cheaper the better as well..

Thanks in advance

Plusnet have launched their new Usenet server today. It's been in beta
testing for a while, and it claims to have the best completion and
retention of any UK ISP "non-pay" news server... I have no reason to
believe otherwise, as it's working a champ here.... Plusnet are a
awesome ISP anyway, with great packages at great prices...

If you do decide the Plusnet route, please use my referal code:
mgillespie during signup...

aside from Plusnet (to prove I am impartial), Pipex have a good feed
apparently, as do Nildram..

Avoid Virgin, Tiscali, BT, WannaDoggyDoo

--
This dog don't give a ****...
Old May 28th 04, 02:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Morgoth

"The Crusader" wrote in message
om...
I have just 1 main criteria...

They must have a good free binaries newsserver.

Obviously, cheaper the better as well..

Thanks in advance

Nildram who supply both internal nntp and also outsource with giganews and
you can get 512 with no download cap for 23 a month.

Old May 28th 04, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rufus Stone

On Thu, 27 May 2004 22:58:58 +0100, Black Shuck
wrote:

believe otherwise, as it's working a champ here.... Plusnet are a
awesome ISP anyway, with great packages at great prices...

If you do decide the Plusnet route, please use my referal code:
mgillespie during signup...

I have no doubt that the new PlusNet news server is an improvement
over their old. It certainly couldn't be much worse for binary
completion.

However I am always dubious of someone posting such information who
quotes a referral code and thus has a vested interested.

Maybe we should wait to see how it settles down?

Just my 2c,

Rufus
--
The Reply-To: address is valid.
Old May 28th 04, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

wrote:

believe otherwise, as it's working a champ here.... Plusnet are a
awesome ISP anyway, with great packages at great prices...

If you do decide the Plusnet route, please use my referal code:
mgillespie during signup...

I have no doubt that the new PlusNet news server is an improvement
over their old. It certainly couldn't be much worse for binary
completion.

However I am always dubious of someone posting such information who
quotes a referral code and thus has a vested interested.

Maybe we should wait to see how it settles down?

Indeed.
It's very bad for text at the moment, and headers are slow to download.
It was comparable to giganews/usenetserver in terms of articles/completion
the last time I looked, however I'm getting more headers now, to see if
it's fallen off.

I's day wait a week or so till we see how it handles the load after being
tuned.
I'll be posting updates later.
If the OP does in fact decide to go with plusnet, I'd of course appreciate
them entering 'mauve' into the referrer box.
Old May 28th 04, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alexander Mann

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...Number=1253289