Help! upgrade from 512 to 1Mb

Old May 27th 04, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
A.J.B

Default Help! upgrade from 512 to 1Mb

I am currently on bt's 500 home self install product which ive
been on for 2 years. I can upgrade to bt's 1mb product for
£40.99 per month but is there any decent alternative .The plus
side is only about half an hours downtime and i am happy
with the service. Can someone recommend a service provider
for a 1mb service. Also if i move to a different provider how
much downtime will there be. And why does bt offer an
upgrade with and without modem but at the same price , why
would you not take the modem if theres no charge even though
i allready have 2.

Andy.

Old May 27th 04, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart Gibson

FFS... don't pay BTs extortionate prices. There are plenty other providers
who can offer you a 1Mb service for less money.

I have a 2Mb service from Central Point for £35.49 a month.

Mind you, I had hellish problems with the changeover. It took 10 weeks from
ordering to getting a service that worked.

I have had no problems with it since, though.

Stu.

Old May 28th 04, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bowman

"Stuart Gibson" no e-mail address wrote in message
FFS... don't pay BTs extortionate prices. There are plenty other

providers
who can offer you a 1Mb service for less money.

I have a 2Mb service from Central Point for £35.49 a month.

Mind you, I had hellish problems with the changeover. It took 10 weeks

from
ordering to getting a service that worked.

I have had no problems with it since, though.

BT are extortionate. I was paying £30 a month for 512k, I'm now paying £38
for 2mb with Bulldog. I'm happy. Downloads at 200kbytes a second anyone?

Take it easy

Bowman

Old May 28th 04, 02:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nsj

Bowman wrote:
BT are extortionate. I was paying £30 a month for 512k, I'm now paying £38
for 2mb with Bulldog. I'm happy. Downloads at 200kbytes a second anyone?

I'm sure it's painfully slow compared to my 10Mb. And painfully expensive
compared to the £75pa I'm paying.

--
Now Playing: Kanye West - Through The Wire [249kbps ogg]
Old May 28th 04, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Landregan

"nsj" wrote in message
Bowman wrote:
BT are extortionate. I was paying £30 a month for 512k, I'm now paying

£38
for 2mb with Bulldog. I'm happy. Downloads at 200kbytes a second

anyone?

I'm sure it's painfully slow compared to my 10Mb. And painfully expensive
compared to the £75pa I'm paying.

--
Now Playing: Kanye West - Through The Wire [249kbps ogg]

Go on then enlighten us as to your ISP. £75 per year for 10 meg seems a
little toooooo good to me.

Old May 28th 04, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Landregan

"Mugwump" wrote in message
In article , Paul
Landregan said......

"nsj" wrote in message
Bowman wrote:
BT are extortionate. I was paying £30 a month for 512k, I'm now

paying
£38
for 2mb with Bulldog. I'm happy. Downloads at 200kbytes a second

anyone?

I'm sure it's painfully slow compared to my 10Mb. And painfully

expensive
compared to the £75pa I'm paying.

--
Now Playing: Kanye West - Through The Wire [249kbps ogg]

Go on then enlighten us as to your ISP. £75 per year for 10 meg seems a
little toooooo good to me.

Good question cos his PC has got a BT broadband IP.
--
Mugwump

Reply to 'usenetmail{at}discworld{dot}org{dot}uk

So thats where all the BW has gone. Though the net was a bot slow recently.
NSJ has all the BW on his 10Meg BT Broadband link.

Old June 3rd 04, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nsj

chris wrote:

On Fri, 28 May 2004 18:11:25 +0100 and in article DUWwObNREHA.2548
@server1.thedragon.hopto.org, Paul Landregan said...
: "nsj" wrote in message
: ...
:
: I'm sure it's painfully slow compared to my 10Mb. And painfully expensive
: compared to the £75pa I'm paying.
:
: Go on then enlighten us as to your ISP.
It's blatantly JANET. 10mbit speeds are *very* hard to achieve in my
experience of using janet in halls. 400-500k is more the figure.

I can only suggest your halls network was badly planned and/or installed
and/or maintained, then.

--
Now Playing: Oasis - Stand By Me [192kbps mp3]
Old June 3rd 04, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nsj

Mugwump wrote:

In article , Paul
Landregan said......

"nsj" wrote in message

I'm sure it's painfully slow compared to my 10Mb. And painfully expensive
compared to the £75pa I'm paying.

Go on then enlighten us as to your ISP. £75 per year for 10 meg seems a
little toooooo good to me.

Good question cos his PC has got a BT broadband IP.

No it hasn't.

--
Now Playing: Oasis - Stand By Me [192kbps mp3]
Old June 4th 04, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nsj

chris wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:07:08 +0100 and in article [email protected]
berlin.de, nsj said...
: chris wrote:
:
: On Fri, 28 May 2004 18:11:25 +0100 and in article DUWwObNREHA.2548
: @server1.thedragon.hopto.org, Paul Landregan said...
: : "nsj" wrote in message
: : ...
: : Bowman wrote:
: : BT are extortionate. I was paying £30 a month for 512k, I'm now paying
: : £38
: : for 2mb with Bulldog. I'm happy. Downloads at 200kbytes a second
: : anyone?
: :
: : I'm sure it's painfully slow compared to my 10Mb. And painfully expensive
: : compared to the £75pa I'm paying.
: :
: : Go on then enlighten us as to your ISP.
: It's blatantly JANET. 10mbit speeds are *very* hard to achieve in my
: experience of using janet in halls. 400-500k is more the figure.
:
: I can only suggest your halls network was badly planned and/or installed
: and/or maintained, then.

I only know of one instance where someone got around 1meg a second. I
think you're the exception, rather than the rule m8 ;p

Everyone at this institution seems to enjoy similar speeds (around 850k/sec).

--
Now Playing: something else
Old June 5th 04, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Toby Groves

In article , Bowman
writes
BT are extortionate. I was paying £30 a month for 512k, I'm now paying £38
for 2mb with Bulldog. I'm happy. Downloads at 200kbytes a second anyone?

Sounds a bit slow for 2mb to me, should be nearer the 240KB/s mark
shouldn't it?
--
Toby