2mb service checker...

Old May 28th 04, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mel-tey chamon!

Default 2mb service checker...

Is there a (UK) website that can tell me if I can get a 2mb service (you
know - put in you postcode or phone number, and ta-daa!!)

I am with pipex and would ideally upgrade (but at a quick glance I didn't
see a 2mb service)

Old May 28th 04, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

http://www.Samknows.com

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins

UK Broadband Usergroup http://www.uk-bug.net
Old May 28th 04, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 28 May 2004 11:52:20 +0100, "mel-tey chamon!"
wrote:

Is there a (UK) website that can tell me if I can get a 2mb service (you
know - put in you postcode or phone number, and ta-daa!!)

I am with pipex and would ideally upgrade (but at a quick glance I didn't
see a 2mb service)

the line checker at www.bt.com/broadband tells you if BT think 2M will
work on your line.

Phil
Old May 28th 04, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gari P

wrote:

Is there a (UK) website that can tell me if I can get a 2mb service (you
know - put in you postcode or phone number, and ta-daa!!)

I am with pipex and would ideally upgrade (but at a quick glance I didn't
see a 2mb service)

the line checker at www.bt.com/broadband tells you if BT think 2M will
work on your line.

I hope (certainly doesn't seem to be) that checker isn't wholly accurate,
we're moving house soon and I want to take my 1Mbit DSL with me. According
to the checker my neighbour (to be) can get 2Mbit, someone further away,
down the road (I know the cable routes to the exchange, and he is further
along the cable than me) can get 2Mbit, but my newly installed line can only
achieve 512k. I hope not :/

---

Old May 28th 04, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
OhGreatMoreSpam

I hope (certainly doesn't seem to be) that checker isn't wholly accurate,
we're moving house soon and I want to take my 1Mbit DSL with me. According
to the checker my neighbour (to be) can get 2Mbit, someone further away,
down the road (I know the cable routes to the exchange, and he is further
along the cable than me) can get 2Mbit, but my newly installed line can

only
achieve 512k. I hope not :/

Some of us can't even get 512K and we live in new houses in a new town!

Oh the joys of Milton Keynes - NOT!

Regards

Old May 28th 04, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gari P

"OhGreatMoreSpam" wrote in
message ...

I hope (certainly doesn't seem to be) that checker isn't wholly

accurate,
we're moving house soon and I want to take my 1Mbit DSL with me.

According
to the checker my neighbour (to be) can get 2Mbit, someone further away,
down the road (I know the cable routes to the exchange, and he is

further
along the cable than me) can get 2Mbit, but my newly installed line can

only
achieve 512k. I hope not :/

Some of us can't even get 512K and we live in new houses in a new town!

Well I feel sorry for you bud. I'm afraid I couldn't live without BB now,
sad isn't it? Perhaps the extended reach trials will bring you some good
news. I think it's a great thing that BB is becoming available to more
people further out, but I also think that BT should _also_ be concentrating
on making faster connections available on more lines; 1, 2 Mbit and beyond.
But not forgetting the unfortunate souls like yourselves of course.
512k is pretty **** poor compared to other EU countries' BB offerings. It's
a good start though .....

---

Old May 28th 04, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"OhGreatMoreSpam" wrote in
message ...
Some of us can't even get 512K and we live in new houses in a new town!

The town may be new - the problem is that the exchanges where there before
the town!

Oh the joys of Milton Keynes - NOT!

Have you applied for the new trial BT is running in Milton Keynes?

Regards
Sunil

Old May 29th 04, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 28 May 2004 19:10:12 +0100, "Gari P"
wrote:

I hope (certainly doesn't seem to be) that checker isn't wholly accurate,

accurate or not, it is what makes the decision. If that system says no
1 or 2M then that's it - you can't order it other than by getting an
ISP to place a manual order citing the evidence about neighbours etc.

Phil
Old May 29th 04, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
OhGreatMoreSpam

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"OhGreatMoreSpam" wrote in
message ...
Some of us can't even get 512K and we live in new houses in a new town!

The town may be new - the problem is that the exchanges where there before
the town!

Oh the joys of Milton Keynes - NOT!

Have you applied for the new trial BT is running in Milton Keynes?

Regards
Sunil

Yes I have, but its been a complete joke so far. Its being handled
terribly - One cock-up to another, and its not even started yet - nothing
new there I guess.

Cheers

Old May 29th 04, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gari P

wrote:

I hope (certainly doesn't seem to be) that checker isn't wholly accurate,

accurate or not, it is what makes the decision. If that system says no
1 or 2M then that's it - you can't order it other than by getting an
ISP to place a manual order citing the evidence about neighbours etc.

That's what I was intending to do, Nildram will do it. I believe 2Mbit
should be possible on my line. On a similar twist, the checker now reports
that 2Mbit is available on a line which has always been 512k only. This
property is 50m away from mine. So I'll wait and see ......

---