DHCP doenst assing the right address in wirelless network

Old May 29th 04, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andre

Default DHCP doenst assing the right address in wirelless network

Ive got DHCP to automatiically assign the IP address set. I am trying to
connect to my wireless network which is 192.168.0.whatever However, the
stupid dhcp set the address to some other number 169.whatever. Why ??? this
means it wont connect to my wireless network. If i try to manaully set the
IP then the ICS doenst work and i dont think it talks to thenetwork properly
i think i need dhcp to do something but amnot sure please help

Old May 29th 04, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 29 May 2004 13:41:02 +0100, "Andre"
wrote:

However, the
stupid dhcp set the address to some other number 169.whatever.

no, that would be your stupid operating system that did that, it made
the address up (it will say "automatic private address" or the like).

Some options - disable the wireless card until bootup is complete, or
assign it a useful IP address, or give it a useful "alternate manual
address" instead of this automatic crap, or do a "repair" on the
connection when established.

If you manually set the IP you have to set the default gateway to
192.168.0.1 ie some clue is required

Phil
Old May 29th 04, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SSV

"Andre" wrote in message
Ive got DHCP to automatiically assign the IP address set. I am trying to
connect to my wireless network which is 192.168.0.whatever However, the
stupid dhcp set the address to some other number 169.whatever. Why ???

this
means it wont connect to my wireless network. If i try to manaully set

the
IP then the ICS doenst work and i dont think it talks to thenetwork

properly
i think i need dhcp to do something but amnot sure please help

Yes Andre, I have had this problem often, I think it's mainly a windows 98se
issue.
Your client PC is stuck with a private Link Local address, 169.254.x.x, and
is ignoring DHCP.
Go to RUN and type WINIPCFG Select your NIC or wireless whatever and click
RELEASE.

I understand that another way to avoid the problem is to set up Control
panel - Performance - file system - hard disk - typical role of this
computer to MOBILE or DOCKING SYSTEM but I havent tried it.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old May 29th 04, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alien Zord

"Andre" wrote in message
Ive got DHCP to automatiically assign the IP address set. I am trying to
connect to my wireless network which is 192.168.0.whatever However, the
stupid dhcp set the address to some other number 169.whatever. Why ???

this
means it wont connect to my wireless network. If i try to manaully set

the
IP then the ICS doenst work and i dont think it talks to thenetwork

properly
i think i need dhcp to do something but amnot sure please help

169.254.nnn.nnn is auto-configuration IP address assigned to interface if
DHCP server is not found.