Advice on ethernet switch

Old May 29th 04, 10:47 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.telecom.broadband
Alec McKenzie

Default Advice on ethernet switch

The computer I use is connected to an ADSL router with a single ethernet
port. I would like to set up a small LAN by connecting two more
computers, so they can communicate with each other and all have
broadband internet access.

I think what I need to get for this is a 5-port 10/100 ethernet switch,
but there seem to be so many to choose from, of different makes and at
different prices, ranging from under 10 to over 40.

Is there really much to choose between them all, other than the look of
the case? If so, which way should I go?

Any advice appreciated.

--
Alec McKenzie

Old May 29th 04, 11:17 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter File

ngle ethernet
port. I would like to set up a small LAN by connecting two more
computers, so they can communicate with each other and all have
broadband internet access.

I think what I need to get for this is a 5-port 10/100 ethernet switch,
but there seem to be so many to choose from, of different makes and at
different prices, ranging from under 10 to over 40.

Is there really much to choose between them all, other than the look of
the case? If so, which way should I go?

Any advice appreciated.

I just npurchased an 8 port 'Dabs Value' switch for about 15 quid... Does
the job and no complaints..
http://www.dabs.co.uk

Old May 29th 04, 11:19 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.telecom.broadband
Bonge Boo!

On 29/5/04 21:47, in article
, "Alec McKenzie"
wrote:

Is there really much to choose between them all, other than the look of
the case? If so, which way should I go?

None at all.

Old May 29th 04, 11:46 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Sat, 29 May 2004 21:47:50 +0100, Alec McKenzie
strung together this:

Is there really much to choose between them all, other than the look of
the case?

Not for home use. I use Netgear ones because I like the colour!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old May 30th 04, 12:25 AM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

"Alec McKenzie" wrote in message
The computer I use is connected to an ADSL router with a single ethernet
port. I would like to set up a small LAN by connecting two more
computers, so they can communicate with each other and all have
broadband internet access.

I think what I need to get for this is a 5-port 10/100 ethernet switch,
but there seem to be so many to choose from, of different makes and at
different prices, ranging from under 10 to over 40.

Is there really much to choose between them all, other than the look of
the case? If so, which way should I go?

I use a couple of these (Netgear 5 port switch)

http://shorterlink.com/?QZ8QAQ

at home and never had any problems. Only 21 and a good solid metal case
(and 5 year warranty). Also has plenty of nice flashing LEDs. Network is
very fast all the time.

Dominic

------
ICBroadband Tech Support - working for you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
www.icbroadband.com/support
24 hour service status information telephone: 0870 760 5933

Old May 30th 04, 12:39 AM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

wrote:

Is there really much to choose between them all, other than the look of
the case?

More expensive ones might do logging, allow bandwidth throttling etc.
I suspect you'd have to jump to a serious switch for that tho - think
a couple of hundred quid starting point.

If so, which way should I go?

Get a cheap one, and if its no good, swap it for an expensive one. My
8-port one cost me abour 15 quid from dabs, works perfectly.
Old May 30th 04, 12:40 AM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.telecom.broadband
Hugh Browton

On Sat, 29 May 2004 21:47:50 +0100, Alec McKenzie wrote
(in article ):

The computer I use is connected to an ADSL router with a single ethernet
port. I would like to set up a small LAN by connecting two more
computers, so they can communicate with each other and all have
broadband internet access.

I think what I need to get for this is a 5-port 10/100 ethernet switch,
but there seem to be so many to choose from, of different makes and at
different prices, ranging from under 10 to over 40.

Is there really much to choose between them all, other than the look of
the case? If so, which way should I go?

I always use 3Com stuff (routers, hubs, etc) if I can - a bit more expensive
perhaps but lasts for ever, and looks quite good. And doesn't need a wintel
PC for firmware upgrades.

--
regards
hugh

Old May 30th 04, 08:52 AM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.telecom.broadband
Rufus Stone

wrote:

I think what I need to get for this is a 5-port 10/100 ethernet switch,
but there seem to be so many to choose from, of different makes and at
different prices, ranging from under 10 to over 40.

I just got one of these from Ebuyer :-

http://tinyurl.com/2hcdq

It's amazingly good for 14 and works really well.

Rufus
--
The Reply-To: address is valid.
Old May 30th 04, 10:46 AM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Buzzard

wrote:

I think what I need to get for this is a 5-port 10/100 ethernet switch,
but there seem to be so many to choose from, of different makes and at
different prices, ranging from under 10 to over 40.

I just got one of these from Ebuyer :-

http://tinyurl.com/2hcdq

It's amazingly good for 14 and works really well.

I have seen problems with one of these. Every so often the speed
drops to pitiful values, lower than a 10BaseT hub.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: jonathan (at) buzzard.me.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom. Tel: +44 1661-832195

Old May 30th 04, 11:50 AM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,uk.telecom.broadband
Rufus Stone

On Sun, 30 May 2004 09:46:35 +0100, Jonathan Buzzard
wrote:

I have seen problems with one of these. Every so often the speed
drops to pitiful values, lower than a 10BaseT hub.

Faulty unit?

Have hammered mine and it seems fine.

Rufus
--