Accoustic couplers faster than broadband !!!

Old May 30th 04, 07:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.io
Pablo Rena

Default Accoustic couplers faster than broadband !!!

Yes, broadband is crap, only for losers.

Real men use accoustic couplers !
Old May 30th 04, 07:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.io
Kimball K Kinnison

"Pablo Rena" wrote in message
om...
Yes, broadband is crap, only for losers.

Real men use accoustic couplers !

***Plonk***

Old May 30th 04, 08:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.io
Stuart

Acoustic couplers are now rarely used since most modems have a direct
electrical connection to the telephone line. This avoids the signal
degradation caused by conversion to and from audio. Direct connection is not
always possible, and was actually illegal in the United Kingdom before BT
was privatised. BT's predecessor, the General Post Office, did not allow
subscribers to connect their own equipment to the telephone
line.............

"Kimball K Kinnison" wrote in message
om...

Old May 30th 04, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.io
Rufus Stone

On Sun, 30 May 2004 08:24:41 +0100, "Stuart"
wrote:

Acoustic couplers are now rarely used since most modems have a direct
electrical connection to the telephone line. This avoids the signal

Feeding trolls should be outlawed.

Rufus
--
The Reply-To: address is valid.
Old May 30th 04, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.io
Graham

"Stuart" wrote in message
Acoustic couplers are now rarely used since most modems have a direct
electrical connection to the telephone line. This avoids the signal
degradation caused by conversion to and from audio. Direct connection is

not
always possible, and was actually illegal in the United Kingdom before BT
was privatised. BT's predecessor, the General Post Office, did not allow
subscribers to connect their own equipment to the telephone
line.............

"Kimball K Kinnison" wrote in message
"Pablo Rena" wrote in message
om...
Yes, broadband is crap, only for losers.

Real men use accoustic couplers !

***Plonk***

Ah yes. Those were the days before they repelled the death penalty for
connecting stuff to your phone line. I must confess I was a bit of a phone
phreak back then exploiting one or two security loopholes in Mr Strowger
network.

(Stuart, I was being ironic about the death penelty as was the OP)

Graham.

%Profound_obsrtvation%

Old May 30th 04, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.io
Graham

"Pablo Rena" wrote in message
om...
Yes, broadband is crap, only for losers.

Real men use accoustic couplers !

AFAIK some acoustic couplers are in daily use, almost all of them by deaf
people.
The TypeTalk system is almost entirely compatible with electromechanical
teleprinters using 5 unit Murray Code at 50 baud (RTTY)

RYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRY
DE G3ZVT K

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old May 30th 04, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.io
Adam Davies

I must confess I was a bit of a phone
phreak back then exploiting one or two security loopholes in Mr Strowger
network.

I lost interest after blueboxing died and everything went over to system
x, but have to admit it was fun.
Old May 30th 04, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.io
Jonathan Buzzard

On Sun, 30 May 2004 14:46:13 +0100, Graham wrote:

"Pablo Rena" wrote in message
om...
Yes, broadband is crap, only for losers.

Real men use accoustic couplers !

AFAIK some acoustic couplers are in daily use, almost all of them by deaf
people.
The TypeTalk system is almost entirely compatible with electromechanical
teleprinters using 5 unit Murray Code at 50 baud (RTTY)

One very much doubts that Mr Rena has even so much as seen an
acoustic coupler in real life let alone used one.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: jonathan (at) buzzard.me.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom. Tel: +44 1661-832195

Old May 31st 04, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tapioca

Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
On Sun, 30 May 2004 14:46:13 +0100, Graham wrote:

"Pablo Rena" wrote in message
om...
Yes, broadband is crap, only for losers.

Real men use accoustic couplers !

AFAIK some acoustic couplers are in daily use, almost all of them by
deaf people.
The TypeTalk system is almost entirely compatible with
electromechanical teleprinters using 5 unit Murray Code at 50 baud
(RTTY)

One very much doubts that Mr Rena has even so much as seen an
acoustic coupler in real life let alone used one.

Last time that I had seen an acoustic coupler was on a film called War Games
when a kid uses one to hack NORAD. Would you like a game of Thermonuclear
War Mr Bush.

--
Tapioca

If you have nothing to do then do nothing and enjoy it!

Old May 31st 04, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

One very much doubts that Mr Rena has even so much as seen an
acoustic coupler in real life let alone used one.

Yes your right,
I thought the OP was just provoking a dissuasion about legacy technology
but I have just realised we have all been Xposting to alt.io which he seems
to have a vendetta against.

Looks like we all fell for this except Tapioca.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%