Problems with WAG54G or WUSB54G

Old May 30th 04, 05:33 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Pandy

Default Problems with WAG54G or WUSB54G

I have both the above products from Linksys. The WAG54G being the
modem/router, the WUSB54G being the 54G USB network adapter.

Lately I've started getting problems where the connection drops quite
frequently and when I look at the task bar icon for the adapter connection,
it seems to have dropped down to showing 2mb/s.

This seems to be random and I've been trying to pin it down to a number of
things that may have changed. First I thought it was the WAG54G so I have
reflashed firmware and reset to factory defaults. Made no difference. I
found later drivers for the WUSB54G adapter - again no difference. I had
recently changed antivirus software. Uninstalled this - no difference.

I know I definitely have a neighbour with an 11b access point but this has
been around for months so I can't see somehow why this would suddenly be
affecting my connection.

The problem appears to be worse with heavy network load and using bittorrent
but again, I've been using this for months with no problems apart from now.

Any ideas?

Andy

\0\0\0\0\0
Old May 30th 04, 11:04 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
HJK

I am starting to believe that Linksys just sucks. I recently bought a
WPC54Gv4 wireless card + WRK54G access point and have not been impressed
with the stability of the combo... I had a WPC11 + WAP11 for a long time and
that worked just fine.

What this tells me is that Linksys QA is up to no good and Linksys does not
care about product quality. You find that out real quick if you need to
contact their customer "service".

Linksys WAS a great company.

Old May 31st 04, 08:51 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Steve and Betty Jones

I used to have that problem ALL the time.
Somebody told me to turn off the zero wireless configuration service in XP.

I think that has helped quite a bit, but not always.

Old May 31st 04, 12:12 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Pandy

"Andy Pandy" wrote in message
[...]

How do you turn off the zero wireless config service?

I failed to mention that I don't use the Linksys utility for the PC wireless
NIC - I found that this was even worse ie. disconnects every 5 mins or so. I
only use the basic driver for the NIC. I'm wondering if I turn off the
windows zero wireless config service, would this then need to be used ie.
the Linksys utility ???

Andy

\0\0\0\0\0