Netgear DG834

Old May 30th 04, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Neil Raffan

Default Netgear DG834

Using standard BT broadband; the router disconnected after about 50 days and
the log showed an error of "LCP down"

The router status page shows the modem status as connected, and as I
physically disconnect and re-connect the ADSL line this status changes to
"disconnected" then back to "connected".
The connection status window shows negotiation as "LCP down" and
Authentication as "CHAP authentication failed"
If I manually click the connect button then the negotiation changes to "LCP
is allowed to come up" then "success".

So, questions:
- What is LCP status?
- Why, if the modem is obviously automatically re-connecting after being
unplugged, is the router not reconnecting? (Idle time is set to 0, and
connect automatically as required is ticked)
- Is this a BT thing or a Netgear thing?

Best Regards

Old May 31st 04, 08:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Welham

Neil Raffan wrote:
Using standard BT broadband; the router disconnected after about 50 days and
the log showed an error of "LCP down"

The router status page shows the modem status as connected, and as I
physically disconnect and re-connect the ADSL line this status changes to
"disconnected" then back to "connected".
The connection status window shows negotiation as "LCP down" and
Authentication as "CHAP authentication failed"
If I manually click the connect button then the negotiation changes to "LCP
is allowed to come up" then "success".

So, questions:
- What is LCP status?
- Why, if the modem is obviously automatically re-connecting after being
unplugged, is the router not reconnecting? (Idle time is set to 0, and
connect automatically as required is ticked)
- Is this a BT thing or a Netgear thing?

Best Regards

LCP Status shows the status of the LCP, LCP is defined below.

In the Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP), the Link Control Protocol (LCP)
establishes, configures, and tests data-link Internet connections.
Before establishing communications over a point-to-point link, each end
of the PPP link must send out LCP packets. The LCP packet either accepts
or rejects the identity of its linked peer, agrees upon packet size
limits, and looks for common misconfiguration errors. Basically, the LCP
packet checks the telephone line connection to see whether the
connection is good enough to sustain data transmission at the intended
rate. Once the LCP packet accepts the link, traffic can be transported
on the network; if the LCP packet determines the link is not functioning
properly, it terminates the link.
LCP packets are divided into three classes:

Link configuration packets used to establish and configure a link
Link termination packets used to terminate a link
Link maintenance packets used to manage and debug a link

The adsl modem will not always reconnect, power cycling the unit or
clicking on the disconnect icon, waiting 60 seconds, then clicking on
the connect button, should do the trick.

Whos fault, hrm hard one, some people same netgear. I have seen DG834
loose their connection shortly after an attempted DOS attack, and then
fail to automatically reconnect. The above procedure reconnects the
DG824 to the internet.

Andrew

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with .
Old May 31st 04, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Neil Raffan

Since it was perfectly capable of re-establishing the connection when I
clicked connect, why would it not do this automatically, bearing in mind
that it is supposed to be a ROUTER.
Its really only a minor inconvenience at home, but I was thinking of using
this device on some client networks - where it would be a pain if it needed
to be manually re-connected at random intervals.

Old May 31st 04, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Welham

Neil Raffan wrote:
[...]

most of he time it will reconnect, but in my experience not all the time.
Are you running the latest firmware?

Old May 31st 04, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr_K

Neil Raffan wrote:
Since it was perfectly capable of re-establishing the connection when
I clicked connect, why would it not do this automatically, bearing in
mind that it is supposed to be a ROUTER.
Its really only a minor inconvenience at home, but I was thinking of
using this device on some client networks - where it would be a pain
if it needed to be manually re-connected at random intervals.

Make sure you are running the latest firmware.

Old June 7th 04, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Craig Gallagher

"Mr_K" wrote in message
Neil Raffan wrote:
Since it was perfectly capable of re-establishing the connection when
I clicked connect, why would it not do this automatically, bearing in
mind that it is supposed to be a ROUTER.
Its really only a minor inconvenience at home, but I was thinking of
using this device on some client networks - where it would be a pain
if it needed to be manually re-connected at random intervals.

Make sure you are running the latest firmware.

I have had the same problem with this router which has been causing my
personal website to go down on a regular basis, so I have created a
hack to keep the site up. It requires wget which is included as
standard with most linux distros or can be downloaded for windows from

http://www.interlog.com/~tcharron/wgetwin.html

You can then use the wget command to effectively hit the "Connect"
button from the command line without ever having to load the page in a
web browser using the following command:

wget --timeout=5 --http-user=admin --http-passwd=mypasswd --tries=1
http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=connect

Obviously the password and ip address may vary for your router.

I have copied this command into a batch file which I call from the
Windows task scheduler every 15 minutes to ensure that my connection
is never down for more than a quarter of an hour.