Broadband/Win ME problem

Old May 31st 04, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dfrog

Default Broadband/Win ME problem

Is anyone aware of any issue with installing an adsl modem and running
broadband (I believe Wanadoo) on a computer running Win ME? I believe it
would be the modem supplied by Wanadoo.
Below is part of an email from a friend who is experiencing problems of Win
Me crashing :-

"Considering that I had a new telephone point sited near the computer,
together with your comments of the PC World's suggestion being 'iffy', I
reloaded the broadband modem again and guess what? It kicked the computer
into touch again.

My computer repair man sorted out the problem for me [again] after which he
loaded the broadband modem hardware for me. Guess what, it kicked the
computer into touch once again. Maybe PC World have got it right.

No more broadband for me, pity, but better a computer that works without
than one that doesn't with."

PC World had told him there were 'bugs in ME that created problems with
Broadband use' and wanted to sell him a new computer!

I haven't been able to 'speak' with friend yet to get any more details.

I know his comments are somewhat less than technical, but until I can speak
with him and find out things like 'what exactly happened' and what did his
'computer repair man have to say', I would appreciate any help.

dfrog

Old May 31st 04, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:52:40 +0100, "dfrog" wrote:

Below is part of an email from a friend who is experiencing problems of Win
Me crashing :-

Windows ME is famous for crashing for little or no reason at all...

"Considering that I had a new telephone point sited near the computer,
together with your comments of the PC World's suggestion being 'iffy', I
reloaded the broadband modem again and guess what? It kicked the computer
into touch again.

My computer repair man sorted out the problem for me [again] after which he
loaded the broadband modem hardware for me. Guess what, it kicked the
computer into touch once again. Maybe PC World have got it right.

Broadband modems have two main problems, as I understand it.

1) they put a big power drain on the USB port, which can cause
crashing - especially if the computer's not up to it
2) as I understand it they offload a lot of the processing to the
computer, slowing it down and making it more unstable.

I would suggest one or all of the following:

1) changing Windows version. "Down"grading to Windows 98 (more stable,
at least with the patches, though horribly out of date) or upgrading
to Windows 2000 if the computer will run it well.

2) getting a router, which has its own power supply and does its own
processing.

Cheers

Doug
--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
"Advertising is the rattling of a stick in a swill bucket" George Orwell
Old May 31st 04, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dfrog

"King Queen" wrote in message
news
[...]

Doug--------------thanks for your very quick response.
I'll endeavour to let you know when we fix it
Thanks again
dfrog

Old May 31st 04, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"dfrog" wrote in message
Is anyone aware of any issue with installing an adsl modem and running
broadband (I believe Wanadoo) on a computer running Win ME? I believe it
would be the modem supplied by Wanadoo.

If its the Alcatel USB modem - try using the latest drivers.

One of the earlier versions used to cause a BSOD in WinME..

Regards
Sunil

Old May 31st 04, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dfrog

"john" wrote in message
I used my old PC which has Windows ME installed for a while after having
ADSL installed last summer. I bought a router which has USB & Ethernet
connections,the USB was unstable even though the router is self powered
---- I changed over to Ethernet and it worked fine.
I suggest that an Ethernet router and an Ethernet PCI card is the way to
go. I'm still using Ethernet with my new PC, it's quite common to see
messages from people with USB modem problems & one school of thought is
that USB is OK for connections for brief downloads from cameras etc, but
not reliable enough for an always on Internet connection.

Thanks John

dfrog

Old May 31st 04, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dfrog

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"dfrog" wrote in message
Is anyone aware of any issue with installing an adsl modem and running
broadband (I believe Wanadoo) on a computer running Win ME? I believe it
would be the modem supplied by Wanadoo.

If its the Alcatel USB modem - try using the latest drivers.

One of the earlier versions used to cause a BSOD in WinME..

Regards
Sunil

Thank you Sunil

dfrog

Old June 6th 04, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Antony Colwood

"dfrog" wrote in message
[...]

Some older motherboards (VIA in particular) have problems providing power to
USB devices. This can cause lots of problems up and including computer
crashes.

If your friend's PC is a few years old (using WinME would suggest this),
then connecting a USB modem via a powered hub is often recommended. This
releives the motherboard USB port from the load of having to power any
devices.

WinME can have a few problems networking, (I've just upgraded my desktop
from ME to XP Pro and also have ME on a networked laptop) but should be OK
for BB.

--
Antony Colwood

Old June 6th 04, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Antony Colwood wrote:

"dfrog" wrote in message
[...]

If it *is* a USB modem, it is the likely cause of the problem. You could try
replacing it with an internal ADSL (PCI) modem - which you can get from the
likes of Dabs for about 20 quid.

Better still, connect using an ADSL router - which physically connects to
the PC via a network port.

--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 6th 04, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dfrog

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
Antony Colwood wrote:

"dfrog" wrote in message
Is anyone aware of any issue with installing an adsl modem and

SNIP

[...]

Thanks for that Tim

dfrog