IE6 Problem

Old May 31st 04, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hewitt-Dutton

Default IE6 Problem

Right, I'm not sure how or when this started, but I will explain the problem
as it stands now.
When I first boot my computer (AMD AthlonXP 2500+, 1GB RAM), and launch IE6
I get the error 404 page. No page will load at all. I am on a DSL
connection, through a wireless network.
The problem has started since my last format, it did work fine for at least
a few months. The odd part of the problem is that it is only a problem with
IE and not my net connection as a whole, everything else that uses the net
connection works fine, straight away, including viewing web pages through
Kazaa and Real Player!!
If I view a few pages through Real Player, then try IE again, it usually
works, eventually.
It is a very strange, and very annoying problem.
I have tried checking all the settings within IE, all seem fine. I have also
run SFC to replace all the files. I have also tried running the install file
'ie.inf' which I saw on a web site. Neither worked, and it's still not
working right.

I hope someone can suggest a solution to my problem,

Thanks,
Pete.

"..and I swore never to read again after 'To Kill A Mocking Bird' gave me no
useful advice on killing Mocking Birds"
(Homer Simpson, 2004)

Old May 31st 04, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Peter Hewitt-Dutton" wrote in message
[...]

Have a look at the advanced proxy server settings for your connection and
delete any inappropriate http proxy that might be in there.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old May 31st 04, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I hope someone can suggest a solution to my problem,

Check the DNS settings for your ISP for a start...

Old May 31st 04, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hewitt-Dutton

Checked, nothing in there, just the 'Automatically Detect Settings', but it
makes no difference if thats checked or not, so I just leave it checked,
like it always has been in the past.

Old May 31st 04, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hewitt-Dutton

Please explain, I'm not a novice, but am new to broadband, and always on
connections.

thanks,
Pete.

Old May 31st 04, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Check the DNS settings for your ISP for a start...
Please explain, I'm not a novice, but am new to broadband, and always on
connections.

Ahh just noticed - you`re on btinternet... I had a lot of problems with
their system falling over if there was a vowel in the month.

The BT DNS servers used to be 194.73.73.94, 194.73.73.95 and 194.72.6.57

IIRC you can right click on network neighbourhood, select the TCP/IP
entry for your network card, and hit properties. There`s a tab that
allows you to enter DNS servers directly (on 98se at least)

I once had bloody murder getting to the bottom of a DNS problem and it
turned out that something had put an entry in there for me...