Does Dialup Work On A BB Line?

Old June 1st 04, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan Owen

Default Does Dialup Work On A BB Line?

Quick question:

Would a dialup connection with a normal modem work through a
Broadband-enabled phone line? Or are they incompatible?

Thanks for any help!

Dan

Old June 1st 04, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony P

"Dan Owen" wrote in message
Quick question:

Would a dialup connection with a normal modem work through a
Broadband-enabled phone line? Or are they incompatible?

Thanks for any help!

Dan

Yes a dialup will work on a ADSL Broadband enabled BT line. And whats more,
you can use both the dialup and broadband connection at the same time (if
you wanted to). We use it here, where both myself and my brother both use
the net. I use the broadband, hes on a dialup.

Tony

Old June 1st 04, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"Dan Owen" wrote in message
Quick question:

Would a dialup connection with a normal modem work through a
Broadband-enabled phone line?

Yes

Old June 1st 04, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan Owen

Yes a dialup will work on a ADSL Broadband enabled BT line. And whats
more,
you can use both the dialup and broadband connection at the same time (if
you wanted to). We use it here, where both myself and my brother both use
the net. I use the broadband, hes on a dialup.

Excellent - thanks.

It's a long story, but basically, I have two PC's (both on dialup). I want
to go onto broadband, though.
I know we could get a router, etc, and have both connected, but... for the
moment we'd just like one system using a BB modem and one with the dialup.

Dan

Old June 1st 04, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I know we could get a router, etc, and have both connected, but... for the
moment we'd just like one system using a BB modem and one with the dialup.

Yes it will work and simultaneously. I still use my analogue modem for
sending faxes. Unless there is some peculiar reason then using dial up when
you have a broadband connection available does not make much sense.

Old June 1st 04, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

"Dan Owen" wrote in message

Quick question:

Would a dialup connection with a normal modem work through a
Broadband-enabled phone line? Or are they incompatible?

It will work but you *may* find the dial up connects at a slightly lower
speed than it did before you had ADSL.

--

Brian Gregory (In the UK).

To email me remove the letter vee.

Old June 1st 04, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Cain

"Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote in message
"Dan Owen" wrote in message

Quick question:

Would a dialup connection with a normal modem work through a
Broadband-enabled phone line? Or are they incompatible?

It will work but you *may* find the dial up connects at a slightly lower
speed than it did before you had ADSL.

Mine actually worked better on an adsl line. Maybe the filter was
responsible.

Old June 1st 04, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Road_Hog

"Dan Owen" wrote in message
It's a long story, but basically, I have two PC's (both on dialup). I want
to go onto broadband, though.
I know we could get a router, etc, and have both connected, but... for the
moment we'd just like one system using a BB modem and one with the dialup.

Dan

However, unless you are on a pay monthly inclusive dial up (pay for
connection not calls) you will be paying for the telephone calls. Much
cheaper to buy a router in most cases.

Old June 1st 04, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Blunt

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 19:09:40 +0100, "Brian Gregory [UK]"
wrote:

"Dan Owen" wrote in message

Quick question:

Would a dialup connection with a normal modem work through a
Broadband-enabled phone line? Or are they incompatible?

It will work but you *may* find the dial up connects at a slightly lower
speed than it did before you had ADSL.

I find I need to switch off the router on my line before I can get a
dial-up modem to connect at all.

Chris

Old June 1st 04, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message

I find I need to switch off the router on my line before I can get a
dial-up modem to connect at all.

In that case it might be worth trying a better quality (or just a
different make) microfilter for the dial up modem.

Or you could try two, one after the other.

Or try forcing a V.34 connection rather than a V.90 or V.92 connection.