New ISP advice please

Old June 1st 04, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Saint

Default New ISP advice please

I have been with BT Internet for about 2.5 years and in the last 6 months
have been migrated to their BT Yahoo 'upgrade'. I am not happy and have
problems with connection, speed and email retrieval using POP3.

I am looking to migrate to an alternative provider but know little about any
of them except that a number of people have recommended each of them -
spoilt for choice. Can anyone comment on the service, support standard and
reliability of the following ADSL providers:

Plus.Net

Pipex

Demon Internet

Also, is BT Broadband quantifiably different from BT Yahoo or would I be
getting the same with a different name?

Cheers

Old June 1st 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Plus.Net

Frequently here sorting out any problems. Generally get good write-ups
from users.

Pipex

I`m with Pipex - no problems except for a couple of minor hiccups over a
15 month period, none of which lasted more than a few hours.

I`d be happy to recommend them !

Demon Internet

Reports are often not so favourable...

Old June 1st 04, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

"Saint" wrote in message
I have been with BT Internet for about 2.5 years and in the last 6 months
have been migrated to their BT Yahoo 'upgrade'. I am not happy and have
problems with connection, speed and email retrieval using POP3.

I am looking to migrate to an alternative provider but know little about

any
of them except that a number of people have recommended each of them -
spoilt for choice. Can anyone comment on the service, support standard

and
reliability of the following ADSL providers:

Plus.Net

Pipex

Demon Internet

Also, is BT Broadband quantifiably different from BT Yahoo or would I be
getting the same with a different name?

Take a look at:

www.net4nowt.com
www.adslguide.org.uk
www.ispreview.co.uk

There is plenty of information and a lot of user comments about those ISPs
(and all the rest) on there.

Dominic

------
ICBroadband Tech Support - working for you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
www.icbroadband.com/support
24 hour service status information telephone: 0870 760 5933

Old June 1st 04, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart Rogers

"Saint" wrote in
:

I have been with BT Internet for about 2.5 years and in the last 6
months have been migrated to their BT Yahoo 'upgrade'. I am not happy
and have problems with connection, speed and email retrieval using
POP3.

I am looking to migrate to an alternative provider but know little
about any of them except that a number of people have recommended each
of them - spoilt for choice. Can anyone comment on the service,
support standard and reliability of the following ADSL providers:

Plus.Net

Pipex

Demon Internet

Also, is BT Broadband quantifiably different from BT Yahoo or would I
be getting the same with a different name?

Cheers

Interestingly my Which magazine came in the post this morning and it has
a survey of ISPs.

Plusnet got 69% overall
Pipex got 53% overall
Demon got 52% overall however their score for value for money was 14%

The only other ISp with a lower value for money score was BT Yahho with
11%!!!

BT Yahoo got 32% overall
Wanandoo got 30% overall

Top was Clara.net with 71% overall

Now what I notice is that generally as the sample size went up so the
overall score went down, so it seems to indicate that the bigger an ISP
gets the more dissatisfaction there seems to be with them.

I must admit I've been with Demon now for a long time, but I am
considering moving, but as yet not sure which ISP to go for!

Stuart
Old June 2nd 04, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dicki Dido

Hi,
I was with Freeserve for more than five years and when I switched to
broadband I spent a lot of time and effort looking into various ISP
providers.
I eventually choose Plusnet and I must say I am more than happy with
my decision.The original application was made on a Monday and I was fully
connected by the Friday evening.They are very helpful and keep you fully
informed of proceedings all the way through your application.The helpline
and support is absolutly first class and I must say that for a ISP they are
really brilliant.No problems with connection or speed they are all as
advertised . If you do have a problem the staff often look on here for
problems and sort them out with customers.
Hope this helps you to make a decision.If you are happy please use my u/n
as referral that is:- beechville96