What's the latest re BPL trials ??

Old June 2nd 04, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
___

Default What's the latest re BPL trials ??

This is very bad news for the SW and ham radio person if this ever becomes
widespread which I doubt. 9 + of QRM accross all SW freqs, no thanks

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/

Wtach some of the videos, frightening stuff

Old June 2nd 04, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronny

"___" wrote in message
This is very bad news for the SW and ham radio person if this ever becomes
widespread which I doubt. 9 + of QRM accross all SW freqs, no thanks

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/

Wtach some of the videos, frightening stuff

Peob because most of the population require interent access and do not
require ham radio, we got to move with the times, and almost every house in
the UK is supplied with electricity, so piping the net through this means
makes sense.

It's not as if you can order a pizza using your ham radio, or check your
bank account

Old June 2nd 04, 03:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

It's not just radio amateurs that are effected. It's everyone that uses the
HF spectrum from short wave radio to the military to long range air traffic
control to shipping. Just think you are in the middle of the Atlantic on
your round the world cruise and your ship starts to sink the ship calls SOS
using it's HF radio only to find that the coast guards HF receiver can't
hear anything because of interference from BPL. Radio Amateurs are also very
useful in a big disaster when there is no electric no phone lines no
internet radio amateurs are often the only means of communication in a
disaster situation.

--
Phil From Scarborough UK

Old June 2nd 04, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
___

"Phil" wrote in message
It's not just radio amateurs that are effected. It's everyone that uses

the
HF spectrum from short wave radio to the military to long range air

traffic
control to shipping. Just think you are in the middle of the Atlantic on
your round the world cruise and your ship starts to sink the ship calls

SOS
using it's HF radio only to find that the coast guards HF receiver can't
hear anything because of interference from BPL. Radio Amateurs are also

very
useful in a big disaster when there is no electric no phone lines no
internet radio amateurs are often the only means of communication in a
disaster situation.

Yes very true. BPL is making internet access far too important

Old June 2nd 04, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

This is very bad news for the SW and ham radio person if this ever becomes
widespread which I doubt. 9 + of QRM accross all SW freqs, no thanks

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/

Wtach some of the videos, frightening stuff

Never mind BPL this ADSL lark isn't exactly Topband friendly;
and vice-versa of course.

Graham.

73's de G3ZVT

%Profound_observation%

Old June 3rd 04, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , Steve
writes
On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 20:41:13 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

This is very bad news for the SW and ham radio person if this ever becomes
widespread which I doubt. 9 + of QRM accross all SW freqs, no thanks

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/

Wtach some of the videos, frightening stuff

Never mind BPL this ADSL lark isn't exactly Topband friendly;
and vice-versa of course.

Think yourself lucky you're not in Japan with some of the proposed
proprietary symmetric 100Mbits/s VDSL2 from Ikanos (etc). It uses DMT
up to nearly 18MHz.

well a twisted pair shouldn't exactly be a very efficient aerial

TV line bases are pretty bad and have been essentially unshielded for
yonks IIRC

(And I dimly recollect that, despite the fumings from my old Prof,
radio-astronomy has managed to co-exist with microwave ovens.)

Bob
(G3XIY)

--
robert w hall