2 x broadband

Old June 2nd 04, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Harrison

Default 2 x broadband

I have broadband on one telephone number using BT (don't laugh) as my ISP.
I am about to obtain broadband on a second telephone number on a different
exchange also with BT. I will be using each line separately (I can't be in
2 places at once!).

I assume BT will send me a new login and hg etc for the new line.

1) Can I actually use the same login at both locations (about 100 miles
apart).
2) If I have to use the individual logins is there any reason to suppose I
won't be able to access my existing e-mail account from the new location
using an e-mail client (not web enabled mail via a browser)?
3) If I did manage to use both locations simultaneously (more like me in one
place and a son in the other) would I then have to have logged on using
different details at each location?

--
*****
*****The "return to" address embedded in this mail is wrong as an antispam

Old June 3rd 04, 01:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Graham

I'm not quite sure why you are so concerned about your login.. it's only
used for connecting - it's the same internet you are connecting to. The
login is likely tied to the line, so you will have to use the right one at
the right location, but this doesn't have anything to do with your e-mail
accounts. You can collect your e-mail from either location.

Why did you want to use the same login at both locations?

Dominic

------
ICBroadband Tech Support - working for you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
www.icbroadband.com/support
24 hour service status information telephone: 0870 760 5933

Old June 3rd 04, 02:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Zomaar

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message ...
I have broadband on one telephone number using BT (don't laugh) as my ISP.
I am about to obtain broadband on a second telephone number on a different
exchange also with BT. I will be using each line separately (I can't be

in
2 places at once!).

I assume BT will send me a new login and hg etc for the new line.

1) Can I actually use the same login at both locations (about 100 miles
apart).

No (unless you have BT Broadband on both accounts...your login would be
no password

2) If I have to use the individual logins is there any reason to suppose I
won't be able to access my existing e-mail account from the new location
using an e-mail client (not web enabled mail via a browser)?

That'll work...just enter your pop3 details into your mail client for each
account

3) If I did manage to use both locations simultaneously (more like me in

one
place and a son in the other) would I then have to have logged on using
different details at each location?

You can't log on to one ISP account from 2 different locations over ADSL

HTH, Ali (6 beers and counting :-) apologies for any errors...)

Old June 3rd 04, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Harrison

Why did I want to know? Well, I was playing a bit. I got an e-mail
saying that the 2nd installation should be enabled 4th June. I was at the
site on Saturday when the phone rang and an automated voice announced "BT
line test". I decided to see if I could connect even though I haven't
received the kit and details yet. I have a new router/modem for the new
site so I plugged it in and it appeared to synch (the light came on). So I
tried my 1st login and it failed. I was intrigued whether it was because I
jumped the gun or was using the login from the "wrong" place. Looks like
it was the latter.

Thanks.

--
*****

Old June 3rd 04, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message ...
Why did I want to know? Well, I was playing a bit. I got an e-mail
saying that the 2nd installation should be enabled 4th June. I was at

the
site on Saturday when the phone rang and an automated voice announced "BT
line test". I decided to see if I could connect even though I haven't
received the kit and details yet. I have a new router/modem for the new
site so I plugged it in and it appeared to synch (the light came on). So

tried my 1st login and it failed. I was intrigued whether it was because

jumped the gun or was using the login from the "wrong" place. Looks like
it was the latter.

That does make sense now. I thought perhaps you were confused over the ADSL
username and the e-mail username, but clearly not.

Glad to help.

Dominic

------