WIMAX - what are the chances?

Old June 3rd 04, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

Default WIMAX - what are the chances?

What are the chances of WIMAX in rural areas? Are BT conducting
trails? Is it costly?

Phil
Old June 4th 04, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 20:33:05 +0100, Steve wrote:

BT are trialling Alvarion's FWA systems. I think it's 5.8GHz C-band
stuff. Alvarion are committed to WiMAX in principle; it has the
potential to reduce the high costs of FWA. Whether the two will
converge and move forward in any reasonable timeframe in a BT business
case is anyone's guess.

The first WiMAX systems are emerging during 2004 from numerous
vendors. Alvarion announced their 3.x GHz WiMAX solution ("BreezeMAX")
this week.

UK Broadband (aka PCCW) do not employ WiMAX in their IP Wireless-based
solution for 3.4 GHz FWA.

Thanks for the info.

Phil
Old June 4th 04, 12:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 12:34:10 GMT, Phil
wrote:

What are the chances of WIMAX in rural areas? Are BT conducting
trails? Is it costly?

Since posting this, I find that The Resister has a very informative
report on WiMax at
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04...erators_flock/

Within the article is this quote:

"In terms of real world trials, BT is one of the most advanced and is
to roll out its first pre-WiMAX commercial trial in Northern Ireland
this summer using equipment from Alvarion. BT said it would migrate
the proprietary Alvarion gear to 802.16a/d and 802.16e as soon as they
are fully available."

Phil