WinFax not working with broadband

Old June 3rd 04, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JoeJoe

Default WinFax not working with broadband

Just been connected using PlusNet (1st class service so far BTW), but now
having problems faxing using WinFax which worked OK before.

Upon sending from WinFax it immediately complains that the line is busy,
although it clearly isn't. WinFax is set to detect busy tone. The cable is
connected from the voice/fax modem to the telephone socket of the
microfilter.

Any idea what is going on?

Cheers.

Old June 3rd 04, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Murphy

It sounds like there may be some sort of problem with the microfilter. Do
you have a phone connected in there somewhere as well - if so, where/how and
what happens if that and any other devices apart from both modems (ordinary
and ADSL) are disconnected? Have you tried dialling out using
HyperTerminal - does that detect a busy line as soon as it attempts to dial
as well?

I've used both Winfax Pro 10.03 and Talkworks Pro 3 with my V90 modem and
both work fine even though I'm with Plusnet for ADSL.

Paul Murphy

Old June 3rd 04, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

JoeJoe wrote:

Just been connected using PlusNet (1st class service so far BTW), but
now having problems faxing using WinFax which worked OK before.

Upon sending from WinFax it immediately complains that the line is
busy, although it clearly isn't. WinFax is set to detect busy tone.
The cable is connected from the voice/fax modem to the telephone
socket of the microfilter.

Any idea what is going on?

Cheers.

Can you clarify what you mean by "busy". Does your fax modem actually dial
the remote number and report that it cannot connect because there is an
engaged tone? Or does it fail to dial at all because it can't detect a dial
tone? If the former, have you dialled the number manually from a normal
phone and verified that it is *not* busy?

Does it work if you temporarily halt your ADSL connection? If so, I would
suspect the micro-filter and try a different one or - better still - replace
your master socket faceplate with an ADSL filtered faceplate, and get rid of
the micro-filters.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 4th 04, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Tiscali Tim wrote:

JoeJoe wrote:

[...]

A further thought . . .

I've just looked at my Fax settings in Outlook (I'm using Symantec WinFax
Starter Edition 2 which is probably broadly similar to yours). In the modem
settings, there is a checkbox for "Detect Dial Tone". If your fax modem
isn't getting as far as dialling you could uncheck that box. If you do that,
you must make sure that the phone line isn't being used (e.g. someone using
a handset plugged into a different extension socket) before trying to send a
fax - because the modem will dial out over the top of their conversation
without caring!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 4th 04, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JoeJoe

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
JoeJoe wrote:

Just been connected using PlusNet (1st class service so far BTW), but
now having problems faxing using WinFax which worked OK before.

Upon sending from WinFax it immediately complains that the line is
busy, although it clearly isn't. WinFax is set to detect busy tone.
The cable is connected from the voice/fax modem to the telephone
socket of the microfilter.

Any idea what is going on?

Cheers.

Can you clarify what you mean by "busy". Does your fax modem actually dial
the remote number and report that it cannot connect because there is an
engaged tone? Or does it fail to dial at all because it can't detect a

dial
tone? If the former, have you dialled the number manually from a normal
phone and verified that it is *not* busy?

WinFax dials the number, and I can hear that the line is not engaged, nut it
pretty much immediately reports "Line busy" and proceeds to retry dialling.

I tried to dial the same number from my phone and can verify with 100%
certainty that the line is not engaged when WinFax reports that it is.

Does it work if you temporarily halt your ADSL connection? If so, I would
suspect the micro-filter and try a different one or - better still -

replace
your master socket faceplate with an ADSL filtered faceplate, and get rid

of
the micro-filters.

I tried both:
1. Unplugging the ADSL plug from, leaving the telephone (modem) plugged in.
2. Plugging the modem directly to the wall socket without the microfilter.
3. Using another microfilter (both my MF work OK with my phone)

and all resulted in the same problem.

Any more thoughts?

Old June 4th 04, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JoeJoe

"Paul Murphy" wrote in message
It sounds like there may be some sort of problem with the microfilter. Do
you have a phone connected in there somewhere as well - if so, where/how

and
what happens if that and any other devices apart from both modems

(ordinary
and ADSL) are disconnected? Have you tried dialling out using
HyperTerminal - does that detect a busy line as soon as it attempts to

dial
as well?

I tried to use another microfilter (both are new, work OK otherwise, and are
of different make), but experience the same problem.
Following your advice I tried to dial using HyperTerminal, and it also
claims that the line is busy when it clearly isn't...

Old June 4th 04, 12:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JoeJoe

Tiscali Tim wrote:

JoeJoe wrote:

[...]

Tried that as well, although the line is not busy anyway (seen the time?...)

Old June 4th 04, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Allan Anderson

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
Just been connected using PlusNet (1st class service so far BTW), but now
having problems faxing using WinFax which worked OK before.

Upon sending from WinFax it immediately complains that the line is busy,
although it clearly isn't. WinFax is set to detect busy tone. The cable is
connected from the voice/fax modem to the telephone socket of the
microfilter.

Any idea what is going on?

Cheers.

If you've tried disconnecting ADSL then it doesn't sound to be anything to
do with broadband. With what you've tried, the common factor appears to be
your fax modem. Have you tried accessing, say, plusnet using it? Have you
checked its settings, including country?

--
Allan Anderson
{ email address munged}

Old June 4th 04, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JoeJoe

"Allan Anderson" wrote in message

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
Just been connected using PlusNet (1st class service so far BTW), but

now
having problems faxing using WinFax which worked OK before.

Upon sending from WinFax it immediately complains that the line is busy,
although it clearly isn't. WinFax is set to detect busy tone. The cable

is
connected from the voice/fax modem to the telephone socket of the
microfilter.

Any idea what is going on?

Cheers.

If you've tried disconnecting ADSL then it doesn't sound to be anything to
do with broadband. With what you've tried, the common factor appears to

be
your fax modem. Have you tried accessing, say, plusnet using it? Have

you
checked its settings, including country?

Just set up dial up with PlusNet and it works without any problem...

I am confused now...

Old June 4th 04, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JoeJoe

"john" wrote in message
Are you using a dedicated phone line to your PC ? If there's something

else
such as Sky plugged into the line it can cause problems.

I tried to fax with nothing apart from the modem connected to my one and
only phone line.

Also I'm not quite
clear on this point, have you just gone ADSL or were you previously using
the current set up with an ADSL account from another ISP ?

Just moved to a new house that had ISDN before. BT converted the line to a
standard one, and then I added ADSL to it.

Another thought is to check Winfax Pro Setup/Modems & Communications

Devices
the check your fax modem is listed & active ---- mine runs as TAPI for the
Coms Port.
Highlight your modem in the list and click properties then browse
the options for Fax & check that you have it set to 'Regular or Cellular
PCS/GSM-Digital'. In this section also set the send option to 'send at any
speed'.

Just checked mine - the same settings as yours.

???????