Fast hosting question

Old June 4th 04, 06:38 PM posted to alt.www.webmaster,alt.internet.services,uk.telecom.broadband,nildram.support
James

Default Fast hosting question

Hi,

I have 2 questions:

I am trying to figure out which would faster with regards to
webhosting. I am conetmplating on getting a bonded ADSL connection
which gives me (2Mbps Download and 1Mbps upload) and hosting my own
website. However I recently read a hosting company boasting that they
have upgreaded their internet connection to 2 Gbps. I know that this 2
GBps is obviously shared across thousand of users who have hosted
their sites, hence I am now a bit confused. Am I better off with
hosting my own site or should I get a dedicated server with the
hosting company and use their shared connection?

What would you do if your main aim was to make your website viewable
as fast as possible from the hosting point of view? ( without spending
a fortune )

I guess one of the factors that determines how fast my customers can
see my site is the number of internet nodes (gateways) the request has
to be
re-routed through to get to my hosting server. If most of my customers
are in the same area using the same ISP is it ok to assume that their
request will most likely go through a similar path. Is there any way
to find out more information about the these nodes. For example when I
run "tracert www.yahoo.com" I get:

1 19 ms 20 ms 20 ms POS5-0.GW1.LND9.ALTER.NET
[146.188.63.129]
2 20 ms 22 ms 22 ms so-3-0-0.xr1.lnd9.alter.net
[158.43.150.141]
3 22 ms 20 ms 22 ms so-0-1-0.TR1.LND9.ALTER.NET
[146.188.15.33]
4 98 ms 100 ms 100 ms so-5-0-0.IR1.NYC12.ALTER.NET
[146.188.5.246]

When I run "tracert www.google.com"

1 22 ms 22 ms 22 ms POS5-0.GW1.LND9.ALTER.NET
[146.188.63.129]
2 19 ms 22 ms 22 ms so-3-0-0.xr1.lnd9.alter.net
[158.43.150.141]
3 21 ms 21 ms 22 ms POS3-0.cr1.lnd10.gbb.uk.uu.net
[158.43.150.97]
4 21 ms 24 ms 22 ms pos3-0.cr1.lnd8.gbb.uk.uu.net
[158.43.253.142]

Is there any way to find out more information on
"POS5-0.GW1.LND9.ALTER.NET [146.188.63.129]". (i.e. where is the
server located and are there hosting providers directly connected to
it, or even is it possible to get a direct connection to it via leasd
line.)

Thank you for your help,

James
Old June 4th 04, 11:31 PM posted to alt.www.webmaster,alt.internet.services,uk.telecom.broadband,nildram.support
Alexander Mann

James wrote:

Hi,

I have 2 questions:

I am trying to figure out which would faster with regards to
webhosting. I am conetmplating on getting a bonded ADSL connection
which gives me (2Mbps Download and 1Mbps upload) and hosting my own
website. However I recently read a hosting company boasting that they
have upgreaded their internet connection to 2 Gbps. I know that this 2
GBps is obviously shared across thousand of users who have hosted
their sites, hence I am now a bit confused. Am I better off with
hosting my own site or should I get a dedicated server with the
hosting company and use their shared connection?

What would you do if your main aim was to make your website viewable
as fast as possible from the hosting point of view? ( without spending
a fortune )

Getting shared hosting with someone like Gradwell (www.gradwell.com)
would provide the best value for money and the performance would easily
outstrip an ADSL line.

[...]

There's nothing amazing about this. It's just one of AboveNet's
routers. The GW/LND tells you it's in London. AboveNet used to use
airport codes to name routers but it's a while since I cared :/

If you want a direct connection to someone like AboveNet your best bet
would be to colocate in a datacentre like Redbus or Telehouse.

Whether you want to go for colo or shared hosting depends on how busy
your site is.

Thank you for your help,

James

Old June 5th 04, 01:05 AM posted to alt.www.webmaster,alt.internet.services,uk.telecom.broadband,nildram.support
Gregory Toomey

James wrote:

What would you do if your main aim was to make your website viewable
as fast as possible from the hosting point of view? ( without spending
a fortune )

I optimise my wite for fast loading. Ping times (how close the server is to
potential users) is just one thing to consider.

In fact most of my customers are in Australia & my site is hosted in Texas!

Have a look at www.ipo-australia.com and get a few ideas:

- just a server that's litely loaded
- most whitespace is removed (I use a Perl script for this)
- with Internet Explorer, the site renders the top header to the user first,
then the left menu bar, then the rest of the text. This gives the
appearsance to the site loading quickly.
- make sure the http stream is compressed
http://leknor.com/code/gziped.php?url=ipo-australia.com

I also like www.eyo.com.au This site preprocesses dynamic HTML to make
static pages.

gtoomey
Old June 5th 04, 01:18 AM posted to alt.www.webmaster,alt.internet.services,uk.telecom.broadband,nildram.support
Dominic

"James" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I have 2 questions:

I am trying to figure out which would faster with regards to
webhosting. I am conetmplating on getting a bonded ADSL connection
which gives me (2Mbps Download and 1Mbps upload) and hosting my own
website. However I recently read a hosting company boasting that they
have upgreaded their internet connection to 2 Gbps. I know that this 2
GBps is obviously shared across thousand of users who have hosted
their sites, hence I am now a bit confused. Am I better off with
hosting my own site or should I get a dedicated server with the
hosting company and use their shared connection?

What would you do if your main aim was to make your website viewable
as fast as possible from the hosting point of view? ( without spending
a fortune )

Put your server in Telehouse (http://www.telehouse.co.uk) with a
ServerSocket connection (0.5Mbps to 100Mbps). Much more reliable than an
ADSL line too.

Dominic

--
ICBroadband Tech Support - working for you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
24 hour service status information telephone: 0870 760 5933

Old June 5th 04, 02:50 PM posted to alt.www.webmaster,alt.internet.services,uk.telecom.broadband,nildram.support
James

Alexander Mann wrote in message ...

Is there any way to find out more information on
"POS5-0.GW1.LND9.ALTER.NET [146.188.63.129]". (i.e. where is the
server located and are there hosting providers directly connected to
it, or even is it possible to get a direct connection to it via leasd
line.)

There's nothing amazing about this. It's just one of AboveNet's
routers. The GW/LND tells you it's in London. AboveNet used to use
airport codes to name routers but it's a while since I cared :/

Please can you tell me how you knew that it was an AboveNet's router.
I mean is it simply from experience or is there a trace or scan that
you ran to get this information.

Old June 5th 04, 05:04 PM posted to alt.www.webmaster,alt.internet.services,uk.telecom.broadband,nildram.support
Alexander Mann

James wrote:

Alexander Mann wrote in message ...

Is there any way to find out more information on
"POS5-0.GW1.LND9.ALTER.NET [146.188.63.129]". (i.e. where is the
server located and are there hosting providers directly connected to
it, or even is it possible to get a direct connection to it via leasd
line.)

There's nothing amazing about this. It's just one of AboveNet's
routers. The GW/LND tells you it's in London. AboveNet used to use
airport codes to name routers but it's a while since I cared :/

Please can you tell me how you knew that it was an AboveNet's router.
I mean is it simply from experience or is there a trace or scan that
you ran to get this information.

Since it's not at the end of the traceroute it's unlikely to be a
server. Servers serve, routers route. As for knowing that AboveNet use
airport codes, one of their staff told me. And as for assuming LND is
short for London, that's a guess but I wouldn't be able to ping many
other cities in 20ms and it's fairly common for ISPs to put the
router's location in the reverse lookup.

Old June 5th 04, 07:11 PM posted to alt.www.webmaster,alt.internet.services,uk.telecom.broadband,nildram.support
David

In article ,
says...

don't mention "fast" and "host", you'll upset charles and set him off on
one of his rants ;p
Old June 6th 04, 06:14 AM posted to alt.www.webmaster,alt.internet.services,uk.telecom.broadband,nildram.support
Me

As it relates to Alter.net see below:

http://www.whois.sc/alter.net

Also keep in mind that how fast a page loads
will also depend upon the visitors' method of
dialing in (i.e. moden, dsl, etc)

Looking for Unlimited Space/Bandwidth Hosting?
Look to BlackTieHosting.com (http://www.blacktiehosting.com)

Old June 6th 04, 08:14 AM posted to alt.www.webmaster,alt.internet.services,uk.telecom.broadband,nildram.support
Tony Sutton

"Me" wrote in message
link.net...

Looking for Unlimited Space/Bandwidth Hosting?
Look to BlackTieHosting.com (http://www.blacktiehosting.com)

There is no such as 'unlimited bandwidth & webspace' - there will always be
a limited hosting!

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!

Old June 6th 04, 11:36 AM posted to alt.www.webmaster,alt.internet.services,uk.telecom.broadband,nildram.support
Anthony Edwards

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 08:14:39 +0100, Tony Sutton
wrote:

There is no such as 'unlimited bandwidth & webspace' - there will always be
a limited hosting!

Indeed so. Anyone who doubts this (and someone always does!) is
invited to contact their "unlimited webspace" hosting provider of
choice and request that their webspace allocation be increased to
six terrabytes by next Wednesday morning.

Then report back here with the result!

--
Anthony Edwards