BT Voyager Router

Old June 4th 04, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flexi

Default BT Voyager Router

I've noticed something on my BT Voyager 200 Router, its got a setting called
IGMP Proxy settings. Does any know what this does?

Thanks.

Old June 5th 04, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

"Flexi" wrote:

I've noticed something on my BT Voyager 200 Router, its got a setting

called
IGMP Proxy settings. Does any know what this does?

Thanks.

If your *really* interested, http://www.multicasttech.com/multicast_faq.html
gives a good description. But basically, it is a routing protocol that
allows a single IP packet to be sent to a number of hosts. So for example,
if you wanted to send a video out to a number of people, rather than send
each packet to every individual address, IGMP could be used to allow a
single packet to be routed to all interested addresses, masively saving on
bandwidth for the host doing the transmission.

However, if you run a NAT router, then you would need the IGMP proxy setting
to allow the packets to be forwarded to the correct host on your local
network.

--
Martin