Netgear local IP

Old June 7th 04, 08:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TX2

Default Netgear local IP

Do Netgear favour a more common IP for their routers?

I have been asked to configure one for someone who is unable to access
it via his browser interface, and i have no idea what the IP of the
thing is.

Is there a way of finding out via a utility of something?
Old June 7th 04, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TX2

In article , [email protected]
systems.co.uk, a.k.a Iain A F Fleming says...

Or scan it with nmap or such across the private IP ranges range until
you hit the open port 80. Most likely the 192.168.0.0/16 range for a
Netgear box.

How do you do this? Sounds like something that i could find useful!
Old June 7th 04, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TX2

In article , [email protected]
systems.co.uk, a.k.a Iain A F Fleming says...

Have a look at http://www.insecure.org/nmap/
That should tell you what you need to know.

Not Windows based then ... ?
No good to me if it isn't unfortunately, i am strictly Windows OS
Old June 7th 04, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Mainwaring

Tx2 wrote in message et...
In article ,
, a.k.a Tx2 says...

Not Windows based then ... ?
No good to me if it isn't unfortunately, i am strictly Windows OS

Or is it .... i just got further into the site!
Gah!

GetIf is a great (free) SNMP utility that also includes an IP
Discovery window. (see
http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/getif.htm).

It will send out pings very rapidly on your local LAN (you can
configure the number of pings and the timeout values), so you should
be able to find out fairly quickly what IP address your Netgear router
is (as long as it hasn't been set up with a "non-private" address.

Pete
Old June 8th 04, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PRAR

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 09:45:11 +0100, Tx2
wrote:

In article ,
, a.k.a Bob latham says...
In article ,
Tx2 wrote:

Do Netgear favour a more common IP for their routers?

I have been asked to configure one for someone who is unable to access
it via his browser interface, and i have no idea what the IP of the
thing is.

Is there a way of finding out via a utility of something?

192.168.0.1

Is the Netgear Norm.

As i suspected (my Draytek is) but this one can't be accessed using that
IP. Guess i'll have to reset it to factory default ....

You have added 192.168.0.1 to the proxy overrides...?

Old June 11th 04, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

"Tx2" wrote in message
t...

Do Netgear favour a more common IP for their routers?

I have been asked to configure one for someone who is unable to access
it via his browser interface, and i have no idea what the IP of the
thing is.

Is there a way of finding out via a utility of something?

Why not just do a simple tracert "somewhere on the internet" (eg tracert
www.google.com) from a command prompt?

The first IP (providing the computer is connected directly to the router) in
the list will be that of the router.

Rob

Old June 11th 04, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TX2

In article ,
lid, a.k.a Rob says...

"Tx2" wrote in message
t...

Do Netgear favour a more common IP for their routers?

I have been asked to configure one for someone who is unable to access
it via his browser interface, and i have no idea what the IP of the
thing is.

Is there a way of finding out via a utility of something?

Why not just do a simple tracert "somewhere on the internet" (eg tracert
www.google.com) from a command prompt?

The first IP (providing the computer is connected directly to the router) in
the list will be that of the router.

unfortunately, the router was not connected as the config was screwed,
and we didn't know at the time what the IP was to get in via a browser
interface.