RADSL?!?

Old June 7th 04, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,free.uk.internet.broadband
Peter Hucker

Default RADSL?!?

I have RADSL, and an attenuation of 58-60dB depending on the weather. Why do I always get absolute full speed down AND up? Shouldn't it be lowering the upload speed? The problem is I lose synch every so often (although this happens whether or not I am transferring any data).

--
11 parrots http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com

Love conquers all, unless of course you're playing tennis.
Old June 7th 04, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,free.uk.internet.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 09:56:14 +0100, Peter Hucker
wrote:

I have RADSL, and an attenuation of 58-60dB depending on the weather.
Why do I always get absolute full speed down AND up? Shouldn't it be
lowering the upload speed? The problem is I lose synch every so often
(although this happens whether or not I am transferring any data).

Hi,

In theory with line loss over 45dB or length over 3.5km your upstream will
be sacrificed to maintain the downstream. However you may find that the
amount of upstream that actually gets used for this is negligable so you
can still upload at 25-30KB/s.
The loss of sync may well be normal for your line, (check out your
filters, extension cables, etc. if you haven't already) and is probably
more common than the loss of upstream speed.

--
Regards,

Old June 7th 04, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,free.uk.internet.broadband
Peter Hucker

wrote:

I have RADSL, and an attenuation of 58-60dB depending on the weather.
Why do I always get absolute full speed down AND up? Shouldn't it be
lowering the upload speed? The problem is I lose synch every so often
(although this happens whether or not I am transferring any data).

Hi,

In theory with line loss over 45dB or length over 3.5km your upstream will
be sacrificed to maintain the downstream. However you may find that the
amount of upstream that actually gets used for this is negligable so you
can still upload at 25-30KB/s.
The loss of sync may well be normal for your line, (check out your
filters, extension cables, etc. if you haven't already) and is probably
more common than the loss of upstream speed.

It seems to be getting gradually worse, but BT lines refuse to do anything about it. I have had tests from 58 to 60dB loss. I've had trouble with this line in the past - SIX(!) repairs done to the line/junction boxes due to weather damage etc, when BT were trying to get my ISDN back up. 3 months mostly dead line - no compensation, Bloody Terrible :-)

I've tried a different PC, and a different filter, and am purchasing another modem (well a router) to eliminate that - are good ADSL modems as important as having a good modem was on analogue lines?

--
11 parrots http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com

Sex is one of the most wholesome, beautiful and natural experiences that money can buy.
Old June 7th 04, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,free.uk.internet.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

wrote:

[...]

If you are getting disconnections then a top of the range router can make
a difference and cut the number disconnections (depending on how often it
happens). It won't however have any impact on the noise figure.
Have you had a woosh test done on your line? If not it might reveal
something as being at fault.

Old June 7th 04, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,free.uk.internet.broadband
Peter Hucker

wrote:

[...]

Yes I have had a test done through plusnet customer service when I first experienced line drops, another when the BT engineer came out, and of course the one when I ordered a month or 2 ago. They were 58, 59, and 60dB, not necessarily in that order. The engineer could find no fault and said I just had to put up with it. However the latest drop has lasted 2.5 days whereas they were usually no more than a couple of hours. Is it possible for an exchange "modem" to give up? A BT engineer once told me that ISDN2e does this.

--
11 parrots http://www.petersparrots.com
93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com
1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?
Old June 7th 04, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,free.uk.internet.broadband
Steve

OFF TOPIC PLEASE STOP