10km extended reach broadband

Old June 7th 04, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default 10km extended reach broadband

Hi all

I live 4km from my telephone exchange and was desperate to upgrade to
broadband as I work from home as an on-line tutor. Unfortunately, I
recieved the red light and am unable to recieve broadband. Those really
really helpful and sympathetic people at BT said I lived too far from the
exchange, which I found a bit strange since the distance limit is currently
6km and somebody living just a few houses up the road already has
broadband???

Anyway, imagine my delight when it was announced that broadband may be
extended to 10km. Does anybody know where I can find updates on this trial?
Or is anyone in the Milton Keynes area sucessfully recieving broadband on
the trial?

Some feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers...bye.

Old June 7th 04, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Dave wrote:
Hi all

I live 4km from my telephone exchange and was desperate to upgrade to
broadband as I work from home as an on-line tutor. Unfortunately, I
recieved the red light and am unable to recieve broadband. Those really
really helpful and sympathetic people at BT said I lived too far from the
exchange, which I found a bit strange since the distance limit is currently
6km and somebody living just a few houses up the road already has
broadband???

Anyway, imagine my delight when it was announced that broadband may be
extended to 10km. Does anybody know where I can find updates on this trial?
Or is anyone in the Milton Keynes area sucessfully recieving broadband on
the trial?

Some feedback would be much appreciated.

Lots of folk have got onto the trial OK, and doing real well.

In fact .. have a ganders at the dedicated website : http://www.bb4mk.org

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins

UK Broadband Usergroup http://www.uk-bug.net
Old June 7th 04, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nospamplz

"Andy M Jenkins" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
[...]

I will let you know this Saturday - I am on the MK long-reach trail, and its
worked fine for others in my street. I am 6.2km away. I am right in the
centre of one of the black-spots.

Fingers crossed for me!!!

Regards

Old June 7th 04, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

exchange, which I found a bit strange since the distance limit is
currently
6km and somebody living just a few houses up the road already has
broadband???

If someone has it just a few houses away ask an ISP to submit a manual order
for you. It would be worth a try.

Steven.

Old June 7th 04, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Dave" @. wrote in message
[...]

You don't say what part of MK you live but as I understand it Penfold Grange
& Monkston have a rather unique problem as many BT customers are on a TRON
network which means the connection to the exchange is part way optical and
therefore incompatible with ADSL, unless BT can find you a spare copper pair
to bypass the fibre.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 7th 04, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

TPON not TRON
sorry.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 8th 04, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nospamplz

You don't say what part of MK you live but as I understand it Penfold
Grange
& Monkston have a rather unique problem as many BT customers are on a TRON
network which means the connection to the exchange is part way optical and
therefore incompatible with ADSL, unless BT can find you a spare copper

pair
to bypass the fibre.

Nope! I am in the 2 Mile Ash, Great Holm, Loughton area! What a nightmare it
was dealing with BT, they messed up 3 times.

I went with another ISP (I know the infrastructure is BT) and they sorted it
(the long-reach trial) within 8 hours. It was such a delight dealing with
them.

Regards

Old June 14th 04, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:18:07 +0100, "Dave" @. wrote:

Hi all

I live 4km from my telephone exchange and was desperate to upgrade to
broadband as I work from home as an on-line tutor. Unfortunately, I
recieved the red light and am unable to recieve broadband. Those really
really helpful and sympathetic people at BT said I lived too far from the
exchange, which I found a bit strange since the distance limit is currently
6km and somebody living just a few houses up the road already has
broadband???

Anyway, imagine my delight when it was announced that broadband may be
extended to 10km. Does anybody know where I can find updates on this trial?
Or is anyone in the Milton Keynes area sucessfully recieving broadband on
the trial?

Some feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers...bye.

I sympathise with you - I have several rounds of arguments with BT
over this. We bought a new house last summer and I busily took the
phone nos of all those we viewed and ruled out any which were not in
the broadband area.

I am now happily using 512kbps connection but myself and several
neighbours would prefer 1mbps (one even wants 2mbps). Unfortunately
we are too far out to receive these services.

I realise that these trials being conducted are to bring 512kbps
connection to those previously out of reach (such as where I used to
live) but I was wondering if it would also mean that those just out of
reach for 1mbps connection would move within range? Anyone?
Old June 14th 04, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:54:46 +0100, Simon Pleasants
wrote:

I realise that these trials being conducted are to bring 512kbps
connection to those previously out of reach (such as where I used to
live) but I was wondering if it would also mean that those just out of
reach for 1mbps connection would move within range? Anyone?

the trials will help BT understand the real life performance of its
network and the impact of customer premises wiring. There is talk of a
separate limit for 1M services rather than having the same for 1 and
2M. What attenuation does your equipment show in practice ?

Phil
Old June 14th 04, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

wrote:

I realise that these trials being conducted are to bring 512kbps
connection to those previously out of reach (such as where I used to
live) but I was wondering if it would also mean that those just out of
reach for 1mbps connection would move within range? Anyone?

the trials will help BT understand the real life performance of its
network and the impact of customer premises wiring. There is talk of a
separate limit for 1M services rather than having the same for 1 and
2M. What attenuation does your equipment show in practice ?

Phil

From memory (I am at work at the mo) 576 and 288.

The mysterious thing about my home exchange (Ashford, Kent) is that
just about everyone, no matter where they live in the town, is
considered to be out of range of the higher speed services.

I suppose I should be grateful that I can get it at all, unlike the
originator of this thread, but I had to rule out several decent houses
to ensure that I would. Nevertheless, we are not going to be moving
again so I am going to be stuck at 512kbps indefinitely unless the
technology changes in some way.

Do you have any thoughts on whether or not the extension to 10km for
512kbps services will also mean a (proportionally smaller) extension
to the 1mbps services?