Credit Card machine and fax to share line with ADSL

Old June 7th 04, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Appleyard

Default Credit Card machine and fax to share line with ADSL

We plan to convert our Business Highway to ADSL as soon as our exchange
is enable (June 16). Currently we use the 2 analogue lines that come
with Highway for a fax (Hewlett Packard G95 all in one), and an Ingenico
TT41 credit card machine thingy.

I've heard that some new faxes may be incompatible with ADSL, and the
bank who rent us the credit card machine say that there may be
communications problems with "digital lines" (though they won't say what
they mean by that).

Q. Can the fax and credit card machine work over our ADSL line? Or
should we rent a second line for analogue devices?
--
John A
Old June 7th 04, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

John Appleyard wrote:
We plan to convert our Business Highway to ADSL as soon as our
exchange is enable (June 16). Currently we use the 2 analogue lines
that come with Highway for a fax (Hewlett Packard G95 all in one),
and an Ingenico TT41 credit card machine thingy.

I've heard that some new faxes may be incompatible with ADSL, and the
bank who rent us the credit card machine say that there may be
communications problems with "digital lines" (though they won't say
what they mean by that).

Q. Can the fax and credit card machine work over our ADSL line? Or
should we rent a second line for analogue devices?

ADSL is an analogue service; your ISDN (Highway) line will be converted to
an analogue line to support ADSL. There should be no problems using a fax or
credit card machine on an ADSL line (except that some filters are not
compatible with certain fax machines).

Dominic

--
ICBroadband Tech Support - working for you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
24 hour service status information telephone: 0870 760 5933

Old June 7th 04, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian G Batten

In article ,
John Appleyard wrote:
communications problems with "digital lines" (though they won't say what
they mean by that).

They mean digital lines on PABXes. Clearly, analogue anythings won't
work on these.

ian
Old June 7th 04, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woof

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:12:18 +0100, "Dominic"
wrote:

ADSL is an analogue service; your ISDN (Highway) line will be converted to
an analogue line to support ADSL.

You cannot get ADSL on ISDN lines imn the UK because the ISDN signal
infringes on frequencies used by ADSL (and vice versa). It could be
made to work, but it'd be a bother.

Other countries have DSL running over ISDN lines.
Old June 7th 04, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

wrote:

ADSL is an analogue service; your ISDN (Highway) line will be
converted to an analogue line to support ADSL.

You cannot get ADSL on ISDN lines imn the UK because the ISDN signal
infringes on frequencies used by ADSL (and vice versa). It could be
made to work, but it'd be a bother.

Other countries have DSL running over ISDN lines.

Don't tell me, tell the OP.

Old June 7th 04, 06:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob Walker

"Dominic" wrote in message
. ..
John Appleyard wrote:
[...]

Well, that's not strictly true. What does the 'D' is ADSL stand for if not
digital. It is a digital servcie but co-exists on a standard analogue PSTN
line.

Rob

Old June 7th 04, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

"Rob Walker" wrote in message

"Dominic" wrote in message
. ..
John Appleyard wrote:
[...]

It's not strictly true to say that it is digital either. ADSL uses analogue
modulation. There was a lengthy discussion about this not long ago on here,
and it's not really relevant here. The point is that you cannot have ADSL on
an ISDN line without BT first downgrading it back to an analogue phone line.

An ISDN line or variant thereof is what is the merchant bank meant by a
'digital line' in this context.

Dominic