1mb ADSL for under 15 ? No way .. ?

Old June 8th 04, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
Andy M Jenkins

Default 1mb ADSL for under 15 ? No way .. ?

Freedom2Surf have announced a price reduction on their 1Mb ADSL service.
A staggeringly low 14.99 per month. And its not some special, never to
be repeated, once in a lifetime offer either.

http://snipurl.com/2n1k

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins

UK Broadband Usergroup http://www.uk-bug.net
Old June 8th 04, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
Flexi

"Andy M Jenkins" wrote in message
Freedom2Surf have announced a price reduction on their 1Mb ADSL service.
A staggeringly low 14.99 per month. And its not some special, never to
be repeated, once in a lifetime offer either.

http://snipurl.com/2n1k

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins

UK Broadband Usergroup http://www.uk-bug.net

But the service is capped at 1GB per month...

Old June 8th 04, 01:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
Gus

There's cheap and too cheap, flash back of 08002Go and many other ISP's that
did cheap 0800 and 0808 dial ups, they went Bust when demand outstripped
there bandwidth. That will happen again for DSL

Old June 8th 04, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
GwG

"Flexi" wrote in message
"Andy M Jenkins" wrote in message
Freedom2Surf have announced a price reduction on their 1Mb ADSL

service.
A staggeringly low 14.99 per month. And its not some special, never

be repeated, once in a lifetime offer either.

http://snipurl.com/2n1k

But the service is capped at 1GB per month...

And on this link http://www.freedom2surf.net/adsl/home.php it states
"Up to 1 Mbit download speed", which could mean anything, the other
more expensive services specifically state "512k download speed" or "1
Mbit download speed". Also no contention ratio is given for the cheaper
services, but a 50:1 contention ratio is given for the others.

Old June 8th 04, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:29:16 +0100, "GwG" wrote:

| "Flexi" wrote in message
| "Andy M Jenkins" wrote in message
| Freedom2Surf have announced a price reduction on their 1Mb ADSL
| service.
| A staggeringly low 14.99 per month. And its not some special, never
| be repeated, once in a lifetime offer either.
|
| http://snipurl.com/2n1k
|

| But the service is capped at 1GB per month...
|

| And on this link http://www.freedom2surf.net/adsl/home.php it states
| "Up to 1 Mbit download speed", which could mean anything, the other
| more expensive services specifically state "512k download speed" or "1
| Mbit download speed". Also no contention ratio is given for the cheaper
| services, but a 50:1 contention ratio is given for the others.

My dial up service is fine at 6:00 in the mornings, and useless at midday.
Thus the problem is *not* between the exchange and my computer, it *must*
be somewhere else in the system.

If I am driving from home to London, I see no sence in improving my drive
to motorway standard, when the delays will be due to roadworks on the M1 or
whereever.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at

Old June 8th 04, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
Andy M Jenkins

chris wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 10:40:43 +0000 (UTC) and in article ca453b$ggh$1
@hercules.btinternet.com, Flexi said...
: "Andy M Jenkins" wrote in message
: ...
: Freedom2Surf have announced a price reduction on their 1Mb ADSL service.
: A staggeringly low 14.99 per month. And its not some special, never to
: be repeated, once in a lifetime offer either.
:
: http://snipurl.com/2n1k
:
: --
: Regards
: Andy M Jenkins
:
: UK Broadband Usergroup http://www.uk-bug.net
:
: But the service is capped at 1GB per month...
:
Wrong, it's capped at 5gig a month and downloads from 1am-6am are free
from meterage.

Nope

The 1Mb product is capped at 1GB (extra GB's are available at a cost).
There is ALSO a 1Mb product with 5Gb allowance for an extra 5 per
month, at 19.99.

Does the article I wrote give the wrong impression in that regard ?

Old June 8th 04, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
John Underwood

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 at 10:40:43, Flexi wrote in uk.net.providers
(Reference: )

But the service is capped at 1GB per month..

Mines isn't capped - at least bandwidth usage isn't - and I often pay
less than that (and one member of my family always does).
--
John Underwood
Do not change the Reply-To: address -it will work if you use it within 30 days.
Old June 9th 04, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
Justin Johnson

And on this link http://www.freedom2surf.net/adsl/home.php it states
"Up to 1 Mbit download speed", which could mean anything, the other
more expensive services specifically state "512k download speed" or "1
Mbit download speed". Also no contention ratio is given for the cheaper
services, but a 50:1 contention ratio is given for the others.

Hi,

It simply says up to 1MB because of the fact for people who cannot get
1MB due to distance from exchange etc, they will provision the line at
512K instead, so no varients in speed throughout the day like Bulldog
etc.

Kind Regards,

Justin Johnson
Freedom2Support Project Leader
http://www.freedom2support.net
Old June 9th 04, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
John Dann

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:18:45 +0100, Andy M Jenkins

Nope

The 1Mb product is capped at 1GB (extra GB's are available at a cost).

Would be more customer-friendly [1] if once the 1GB (0r whatever - but
is that GB or Gb?) cap was reached then say 10MB per day was still
allowed. That way only a maximum of eg 1.3GB would be available under
the fixed cost plan but people could still realistically use the net
for day to day tasks such as email throughout each month without
having to worry about buying a new chunk of bandwidth.

[1] I know this is a commercial world but customer relations should
still count for something.

JGD
Old June 9th 04, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
Kevin Ashley

GwG wrote:

And on this link http://www.freedom2surf.net/adsl/home.php it states "Up to 1 Mbit download
speed", which could mean anything, the other more expensive services specifically state "512k
download speed" or "1 Mbit download speed". Also no contention ratio is given for the cheaper
services, but a 50:1 contention ratio is given for the others.

The use of the phrase "up to" may well be because of a recent (2 June 2004) adjudication by the ASA
which held that AOL describing an ADSL service as "1 Mb" without qualification was misleading,
since the rate varied depending on contention and other issues. See

http://www.asa.org.uk/adjudications/... 4:565:566:567

for the full details. Anyone else describing their service as "512 Kbit" or any other speed without
qualifying that could expose themselves to a similar ruling.