Will it work?

Old June 8th 04, 02:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Loades

Default Will it work?

A friend has 1 x Windows PC, 1 x laptop, 1 x Apple desktop computer.
Each machine has a modem and currently they use dial up. They've seen
my broad band set up with 2 x PC's and Vigor 2600WE router - they love
it!

For them the Windows PC would connect to the router by cable, the laptop
would need a wireless device. What about the Apple? I no nothing,
absolute zero, about Apple computers :-( I presume you can fit a
wireless device, but would it 'talk' to the rest of the system?
--
Malcolm

Old June 8th 04, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

Malcolm Loades wrote in
:

For them the Windows PC would connect to the router by cable, the laptop
would need a wireless device. What about the Apple? I no nothing,
absolute zero, about Apple computers :-( I presume you can fit a
wireless device, but would it 'talk' to the rest of the system?

You could either connect the Mac up to the router or use wireless. Same
as a PC really. TCP/IP is a common language :-) Could even share files
between Windows and MacOS.

Just get a wireless ADSL router - plug PC into router with ethernet cable.
Plug wireless card into PC if required. And do either with Mac.

--
My photos: http://www.weezer.plus.com/
To send me an e-mail, remove TEETH
Old June 8th 04, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wira One

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:37:01 +0100, Malcolm Loades wrote:

A friend has 1 x Windows PC, 1 x laptop, 1 x Apple desktop computer.
Each machine has a modem and currently they use dial up. They've seen
my broad band set up with 2 x PC's and Vigor 2600WE router - they love
it!

For them the Windows PC would connect to the router by cable, the laptop
would need a wireless device. What about the Apple? I no nothing,
absolute zero, about Apple computers :-( I presume you can fit a
wireless device, but would it 'talk' to the rest of the system?

Most Apple desktops come with ethernet port as a standard .. so, just plug
it into a router and set it to use dhcp and everything should be just fine.

Old June 8th 04, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan Wood

"Malcolm Loades" wrote in message
A friend has 1 x Windows PC, 1 x laptop, 1 x Apple desktop computer.
Each machine has a modem and currently they use dial up. They've seen
my broad band set up with 2 x PC's and Vigor 2600WE router - they love
it!

For them the Windows PC would connect to the router by cable, the laptop
would need a wireless device. What about the Apple? I no nothing,
absolute zero, about Apple computers :-( I presume you can fit a
wireless device, but would it 'talk' to the rest of the system?
--

Apple's own 'airport' protocol seems to talk happily to 802.11b devices. My
wife's apple laptop can use my wireless network to connect to broadband

It has no idea what the windows or linux boxes on the network are, but
that's my fault 'cos I can't be bothered to configure it! I would imagine
newer Mac machines can share things more easily.

Dan.

Old July 3rd 04, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 1 Jul 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Steve wrote:

or want to share files between the pc/laptop and the MAC ...

Xerver is a free web server for windows, so could easily pull files
to the Mac, from that if you want...