BT engineer visit regarding ADSL

Old June 9th 04, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default BT engineer visit regarding ADSL

Hello everyone

I live 4km from my exhchange and am unable to get broadband even though my
neighbours can get it. BT advised this is due to line loss.

Anyway, I posted messages on the forums and was advised to "moan to BT about
my noisy phone line, but not to mention ADSL", in order to get an engineer
to come out. I have done this and a BT engineer is coming in a few days
time.

Considering that the is a little background noise on my line but nothing in
the realms of eardrum bursting. How do I play this with the engineer? Do I
mention ADSL or not? And what information do I need from him in my quets
for ADSL?

BT have said that if there isn't a problem with the external line then I
will be charged a call out fee. I do I avoid this and ensure the line is
fixed so I can receive ADSL?

Please help.

Old June 9th 04, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nojunkrequired

It is quite likely that your line can support ADSL. You just have to get
someone to test it properly. Unfortunately for you the method you are
trying is only going to get you one ****ed off faultsperson and a bill.

Yeah and this is exactly the reason why our bills are so expensive - thanks
in advance for that.

Go down the proper route, ask the proper questions and be honest, and you'll
get the result you are looking for.

You should have done all this first, I hope you get a huge **** off bill for
wasting everyones time.

Old June 9th 04, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Dave wrote:
I live 4km from my exhchange and am unable to get broadband even
though my neighbours can get it. BT advised this is due to line loss.

Anyway, I posted messages on the forums and was advised to "moan to
BT about my noisy phone line, but not to mention ADSL", in order to
get an engineer to come out. I have done this and a BT engineer is
coming in a few days time.

Considering that the is a little background noise on my line but
nothing in the realms of eardrum bursting. How do I play this with
the engineer? Do I mention ADSL or not? And what information do I
need from him in my quets for ADSL?

BT have said that if there isn't a problem with the external line
then I will be charged a call out fee. I do I avoid this and ensure
the line is fixed so I can receive ADSL?

I would recommend you act in an honest manner, and you are more likely to be
helped. BT have not been charging for unnecessary call-outs to ADSL
customers up to now (including when there is no customer at home or no fault
on the line), but they recently announced that they would be doing so in
future.

The best thing to do, as others have suggested, is to get your prospective
ISP to raise a manual order, bypassing the results of the line checker, so
that your line will be tested and the order attempted. I would also
telephone BT and cancel the engineer call before you pick up the ~£60 fee.

Good luck!

Dominic

--
ICBroadband Tech Support - working for you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
24 hour service status information telephone: 0870 760 5933

Old June 11th 04, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Dominic wrote:
Dave wrote:
[...]

That's because, at the present moment most ISP's pay for the engineers to
visit (had 2 today) & the only way the engineers can start charging is if
they actually start to change customers wiring, (rerunning faulty extensions
etc) if it's the endusers kit/PC & or the ISP's modem then (at the moment)
there are nocharges which can be raised to the end user..

The best route is to say that it is intermittently noisy, that way ( if the
engineer isn't having to bad a day) they will change something

Old June 12th 04, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Essex Computers

Kráftéé wrote:
Dominic wrote:
Dave wrote:
[...]

bung the engineer £20 and hope he takes it

Old June 12th 04, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
thedeerhunter270

"Dave" @. wrote in message
Hello everyone

Considering that the is a little background noise on my line but nothing

in
the realms of eardrum bursting. How do I play this with the engineer? Do

mention ADSL or not? And what information do I need from him in my quets
for ADSL?

BT have said that if there isn't a problem with the external line then I
will be charged a call out fee. I do I avoid this and ensure the line is
fixed so I can receive ADSL?

I had the same problem with noise.

I'd already got my BB installed and working, but after a couple of months
the noise I'd had about 12 months ago came back, knocking out my BB
intermittently.

I had 3 BT engineers call, the last one putting a new section of cable in
from the junction box to my master socket, which has shoveled the problem.

The thing it, they kept telling me there was no fault on the line, when I
could blatantly here there was.

If I'd have to pay for the first 2 engineers to find no fault, I'd still be
having intermittent BB even now probably.