PlusNet Wireless network

Old June 9th 04, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MRickardUK

Default PlusNet Wireless network

Hi

I am thinking of signing up to PlusNet for broadband and cannot find any
reference on their website to support for a wireless home network or any
equipment that would support this.

Does anyone know if this is possible with PlusNet (Mac and PC)

Many thanks
Old June 9th 04, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"MRickardUK" wrote in message
Hi

I am thinking of signing up to PlusNet for broadband and cannot find any
reference on their website to support for a wireless home network or any
equipment that would support this.

Does anyone know if this is possible with PlusNet (Mac and PC)

Many thanks

It should work fine as long as you get the right kit. I have a wireless
access point connected to my router on PN with no problems. If you have no
kit to start with then a combined ADSL Modem/Router/Access point would
probably be the way to go (depending on how far it will be located from
where you want to use the wireless clients).

Plusnet won't provide telephone support etc for the wireless side though, as
this would be your kit, but you'll find support from other users on the
Plusnet Portal forums.

If you feel inclined put my referral ID walespc in to the referrer box when
signing up then thanks! It may get me a small referral discount sometime in
the future, and costs nothing to do.

Jc.

Old June 9th 04, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 09 Jun 2004 12:46:02 GMT, MRickardUK wrote:

Hi

I am thinking of signing up to PlusNet for broadband and cannot find any
reference on their website to support for a wireless home network or any
equipment that would support this.

Does anyone know if this is possible with PlusNet (Mac and PC)

Many thanks

Hi,

At present we don't supply any wireless ADSL hardware but you are
perfectly free to purchase your own wireless hardware and use it with our
service.

I've got a wireless network myself on our Home 1Mbps service and it works
perfectly, and I know of a lot of our customers who have similar setups.
Wireless networking is becoming very popular these days and, so long as
you choose the appropriate hardware, you shouldn't have a problem.

--
Regards,

Old June 9th 04, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MRickardUK

Thanks Dave - Netgear have been recommended to me as the one to go for. Are
there any known issues with their equipment?

Cheers
Old June 9th 04, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

MRickardUK wrote:
Thanks Dave - Netgear have been recommended to me as the one to go
for. Are there any known issues with their equipment?

Cheers

There seem to be problems reported with most brands but overall it seems to
balance out across them. I'm with PlusNet and have been using a Netgear
DG834G since December with no real problems. The router is quite happy with
wireless cards from Netgear (WG511), 3Com (3CRPAG175 and 3CRSHPW196) and
builtin Broadcom (Acer) and Intel (Dell) cards and has no problem running in
mixed b/g mode. It also happily supports my hard-wired Xbox for Live play
too :-)

HTH,
Tim

--
Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.

Old June 9th 04, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"MRickardUK" wrote in message
Thanks Dave - Netgear have been recommended to me as the

one to go for. Are
there any known issues with their equipment?

I'm a big fan of Netgear, but I couldn't, in all honesty,
recommend the WGT624. It has a nasty habit of rebooting, for
no apparent reason, a quick search on google will show many
folk having the same problem with this router. Currently
using it an Access Point, where it seems to reboot far less
often, strangely. Cannot comment for other models.

P.

Old June 9th 04, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 09 Jun 2004 14:29:45 GMT, MRickardUK wrote:

Thanks Dave - Netgear have been recommended to me as the one to go for.
Are
there any known issues with their equipment?

Cheers

Hi,

Same as Tiny Tim I've got the Netgear DG834G. Had it about 6 months and
had no problems at all. Have a look around to see what other people us,
www.adslguide.org.uk is a good place to start.

Old June 9th 04, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Black Shuck

PlusNet Support Team wrote:
On 09 Jun 2004 12:46:02 GMT, MRickardUK wrote:

Hi

I am thinking of signing up to PlusNet for broadband and cannot find any
reference on their website to support for a wireless home network or any
equipment that would support this.

Does anyone know if this is possible with PlusNet (Mac and PC)

Many thanks

Hi,

At present we don't supply any wireless ADSL hardware but you are
perfectly free to purchase your own wireless hardware and use it with
our service.

As far as I am aware, no UK ISP does.. Major channel of oppertunity if
you ask me.... Pretty much every Laptop you buy these days has WiFi..

I'm with Plusnet, and use a DrayTek Vigor 2600We, and it works
flawlessly (did have problems before I got the 2.5.5 firmware).
Old June 10th 04, 03:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Anything BUT Netgear. Most of the complaints here and on
alt.internet.wireless are about Netgear, their constant buggy firmware and
non existent support.
If you want piece of mind get Draytek Vigor 2600G, it's the best, not cheap
though.
Regards,
Martin