BT broadband

Old June 9th 04, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

Default BT broadband

As a newbie to broadband can someone advise me please?

My current ISP is Freeserve on a dialup connection through a 56k modem
I am having BT broadband connected later this week. Once the broadband is
on but before I connect the ADSL modem, can I still continue to use my
dialup into Freeserve?

Once the ADSL modem is connected, can I still access Freeserve? I don't want
to lose my existing email addresses.

Any advice much appreciated.

TIA

Geoff.

Old June 9th 04, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

"Geoff" wrote in
:

My current ISP is Freeserve on a dialup connection through a 56k modem
I am having BT broadband connected later this week. Once the
broadband is on but before I connect the ADSL modem, can I still
continue to use my dialup into Freeserve?

Once the ADSL modem is connected, can I still access Freeserve? I
don't want to lose my existing email addresses.

Yes, you can continue to use your dialup before and after ADSL has been
enabled. You will be able to fetch Freeserve e-mail without having to
dialup to Freeserve, but you'll probably have to connect to Freeserve once
a month to keep the address active.

--
My photos: http://www.weezer.plus.com/
To send me an e-mail, remove TEETH
Old June 9th 04, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Geoff wrote:
My current ISP is Freeserve on a dialup connection through a 56k modem
I am having BT broadband connected later this week. Once the
broadband is on but before I connect the ADSL modem, can I still
continue to use my dialup into Freeserve?

Once the ADSL modem is connected, can I still access Freeserve? I
don't want to lose my existing email addresses.

You can still use your dialup modem, but bear in mind as soon as the ADSL is
activated, it needs to be connected through a filter (on the telephone
side), otherwise it the ADSL signal will intefere with it.

Freeserve accounts normally revert to 'pay as you go' accounts (if you used
to be on Anytime), and you can still receive e-mails through your Freeserve
e-mail address when you have ADSL installed. However, Freeserve will
eventually cancel the address if you do not use their dialup service in a
certain period of time, and you will also not be able to send messages
through Freeserve's servers, so you will need to change the "Outgoing mail
server (SMTP)" address in your Outlook Express settings. Ask if you're not
sure about this.

Dominic

--
ICBroadband Tech Support - working for you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
24 hour service status information telephone: 0870 760 5933

Old June 9th 04, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

Thanks a million guys.

Your response took about 15 minutes! It has taken days and I still didn't
get an answer from Freeserve and BT waffled around the answer.

Geoff.

Old June 9th 04, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, Phil Chung wrote:

you'll probably have to connect to Freeserve once a month to
keep the address active.

They suspend the account if you don't dial in once every 90 days
(but that can be "retrieved" back to operational via the web) and
now state that the account will be deleted after 260 days of non-
use, so monthly is rather a short time, and dialling in once every
6 months should be enough...
Old June 9th 04, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

poster wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jun 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, Phil Chung wrote:

you'll probably have to connect to Freeserve once a month to
keep the address active.

They suspend the account if you don't dial in once every 90 days
(but that can be "retrieved" back to operational via the web) and
now state that the account will be deleted after 260 days of non-
use, so monthly is rather a short time, and dialling in once every
6 months should be enough...

Unless you regularly check the policy, monthly is probably not a bad
idea.