ADSL ISP with large(ish) e-mail attachment limits

Old June 9th 04, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Jones

Default ADSL ISP with large(ish) e-mail attachment limits

A friend of mine has recently upgraded from a virgin.net dialup account to a
broadband account with the same company.

When he was on dialup there didn't seem to be a limit to the size of e-mails
that he could send, but now having upgraded to a "much" faster connection
there is a limit on attachments of 3MB, this is when both sending and
receiving e-mail.

Can anyone suggest an ISP that either doesn't have an e-mail attachment or a
limit of about 10MB(ish), or another way of sending large e-mails, ie via a
authenticated SMTP via an e-mail hosting company or something.

He's using a Mac by the way.

Cheers
Ian

Old June 9th 04, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

"Ian Jones" wrote in message
A friend of mine has recently upgraded from a virgin.net dialup account to

broadband account with the same company.

When he was on dialup there didn't seem to be a limit to the size of

e-mails
that he could send, but now having upgraded to a "much" faster connection
there is a limit on attachments of 3MB, this is when both sending and
receiving e-mail.

Can anyone suggest an ISP that either doesn't have an e-mail attachment or

limit of about 10MB(ish), or another way of sending large e-mails, ie via

authenticated SMTP via an e-mail hosting company or something.

He's using a Mac by the way.

I found for sending massive emails 20Mb or so the best option was MSN
Messenger.

Pain in the ass though as both parties have to be on-line at the same time.

Steven.

Old June 9th 04, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Steven Campbell wrote:
"Ian Jones" wrote in message
A friend of mine has recently upgraded from a virgin.net dialup
account to a broadband account with the same company.

Can anyone suggest an ISP that either doesn't have an e-mail
attachment or a limit of about 10MB(ish), or another way of sending
large e-mails, ie via a authenticated SMTP via an e-mail hosting
company or something.

I found for sending massive emails 20Mb or so the best option was MSN
Messenger.

Pain in the ass though as both parties have to be on-line at the same
time.

Even more of a pain when you get to the end and it fails at 99% :S

Sorry for complaining about replying in the wrong place, as I'm going to do
it now to save making two posts. Our outgoing SMTP limit is currently set at
50MB. As far as I'm aware, no one has requested that it should be higher.
Each incoming POP box has a 50MB quota, so theoretically you could receive
one 50MB e-mail too. I'm not sure about other ISPs, but at a guess I would
say most have a limit of 10MB.

Dominic

--
ICBroadband Tech Support - working for you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
24 hour service status information telephone: 0870 760 5933

Old June 9th 04, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

"Dominic" wrote in message
Steven Campbell wrote:
"Ian Jones" wrote in message
A friend of mine has recently upgraded from a virgin.net dialup
account to a broadband account with the same company.

Can anyone suggest an ISP that either doesn't have an a-mail
attachment or a limit of about LOMB(ish), or another way of sending
[...]

Dominic, replies in odd places make it difficult to read the thread, though
I can
understand your reasoning if my post was slightly unclear as to its meaning,
so let that be an end to the matter

Steven.

Old June 9th 04, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Steven Campbell wrote:
"Dominic" wrote in message
Steven Campbell wrote:
"Ian Jones" wrote in message
[...]

(murmurs something and goes to sulk in the corner of the room)

Old June 9th 04, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

"Ian Jones" wrote in message
A friend of mine has recently upgraded from a virgin.net dialup account to

broadband account with the same company.

When he was on dialup there didn't seem to be a limit to the size of

e-mails
that he could send, but now having upgraded to a "much" faster connection
there is a limit on attachments of 3MB, this is when both sending and
receiving e-mail.

Can anyone suggest an ISP that either doesn't have an e-mail attachment or

limit of about 10MB(ish), or another way of sending large e-mails, ie via

authenticated SMTP via an e-mail hosting company or something.

You could upload it to Virgin.net's 10MB of web space and then the other
person can download it from there.

Dominic

Old June 9th 04, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Can anyone suggest an ISP that either doesn't have an e-mail attachment or a
limit of about 10MB(ish), or another way of sending large e-mails

He`d be better learning how to "span" the file using an archiver into
smaller chunks :-}

Old June 9th 04, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ed

Ian Jones wrote:
A friend of mine has recently upgraded from a virgin.net dialup
account to a broadband account with the same company.

When he was on dialup there didn't seem to be a limit to the size of
e-mails that he could send, but now having upgraded to a "much"
faster connection there is a limit on attachments of 3MB, this is
when both sending and receiving e-mail.

Can anyone suggest an ISP that either doesn't have an e-mail
attachment or a limit of about 10MB(ish), or another way of sending
large e-mails, ie via a authenticated SMTP via an e-mail hosting
company or something.

He's using a Mac by the way.

Cheers
Ian

This may help :

https://u1.yousendit.com/default.uplx

Not tried it myself though.

ed

Old June 9th 04, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 19:25:57 +0100, Ian Jones wrote:

Can anyone suggest an ISP that either doesn't have an e-mail attachment or a
limit of about 10MB(ish), or another way of sending large e-mails, ie via a
authenticated SMTP via an e-mail hosting company or something.

Why don't you just break your attachments into .rar files?

Old June 10th 04, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bof

In message , Ian Jones
writes
A friend of mine has recently upgraded from a virgin.net dialup account to a
broadband account with the same company.

When he was on dialup there didn't seem to be a limit to the size of e-mails
that he could send, but now having upgraded to a "much" faster connection
there is a limit on attachments of 3MB, this is when both sending and
receiving e-mail.

Can anyone suggest an ISP that either doesn't have an e-mail attachment or a
limit of about 10MB(ish), or another way of sending large e-mails, ie via a
authenticated SMTP via an e-mail hosting company or something.

I recently sent an 80MB email from my Zen BB account to someone who (I'm
pretty sure) is on Demon BB no problem.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk