ADSL what time of day is it switched on?

Old June 10th 04, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nojunkrequired

Default ADSL what time of day is it switched on?

Hi Everyone

I am on the MK BB Trial, got told today was the activation date. So went
home tonight and installed the drivers and connected the modem, so far so
good. , but its not working...

Helpdesk say usually its switched on midnight - what do you reckon? All
should be well if I just wait. I have my doubts though, as the PWR and ADSL
lights are on all the time, but the data light never does anything? Anyway
no panic yet, will try again tomorrow - but you guys seem to know you stuff
and thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

And just a question, the modem is USB which is fine, but in my settings it
says the local area connection is disabled - and it won't enable, is this
anything to do with the modem? Just wanted to rule that out - its been
disabled since I had the PC. Its a Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit
Ethernet NIC. What does this do BTW?

Previously used dialup, obvious slow, but work perfectly... Dreading having
to go back to that.

As you might guess I am not quite up to speed on all of this!!

Thanks

Old June 10th 04, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

nojunkrequired wrote:
I am on the MK BB Trial, got told today was the activation date. So
went home tonight and installed the drivers and connected the modem,
so far so good. , but its not working...

Helpdesk say usually its switched on midnight - what do you reckon?
All should be well if I just wait. I have my doubts though, as the
PWR and ADSL lights are on all the time, but the data light never
does anything? Anyway no panic yet, will try again tomorrow - but you
guys seem to know you stuff and thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

If the ADSL light is on and steady on the modem/router, that usually means
the line is live and has been activated.

For what it's worth, BT tell us that lines are activated by 6pm on the
scheduled day.

Dominic

--
ICBroadband Tech Support - working for you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
24 hour service status information telephone: 0870 760 5933

Old June 10th 04, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"nojunkrequired" wrote in
message ...
I am on the MK BB Trial, got told today was the activation date. So went
home tonight and installed the drivers and connected the modem, so far so
good. , but its not working...

Helpdesk say usually its switched on midnight - what do you reckon? All
should be well if I just wait. I have my doubts though, as the PWR and

ADSL
lights are on all the time, but the data light never does anything? Anyway
no panic yet, will try again tomorrow - but you guys seem to know you

stuff
and thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

ADSL starts working whenever BT have finished doing the work - not at
midnight..

Assuming you have an Alcatel USB modem.. it sounds like your line has been
enabled as your ADSL light is on all the time...

When you try and "dial up" (Windows thinks USB modems are dial-up modems)
what happens, any error message?

Also, check you have correctly installed any ADSL filters needed. Remember,
everything should be filtered, apart from the signal to the USB modem.

Which ISP is it? Its possible the ISP won't activate your username/password
details on their own systems until later tonight but that would suprise me..

And just a question, the modem is USB which is fine, but in my settings it
says the local area connection is disabled - and it won't enable, is this
anything to do with the modem? Just wanted to rule that out - its been
disabled since I had the PC. Its a Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit
Ethernet NIC. What does this do BTW?

Thats a network card - probably built into your motherboard - nothing to do
with the ADSL USB modem.

If you really want to enable that - see if there are any drivers on your
motherboard cd/manufacturers web site

It would be used if you wanted to replace your USB modem with an ethernet
one..

Regards
Sunil

Old June 10th 04, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nojunkrequired

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"nojunkrequired" wrote in
message ...
I am on the MK BB Trial, got told today was the activation date. So went
home tonight and installed the drivers and connected the modem, so far

so
good. , but its not working...

Helpdesk say usually its switched on midnight - what do you reckon? All
should be well if I just wait. I have my doubts though, as the PWR and

ADSL
lights are on all the time, but the data light never does anything?

Anyway
no panic yet, will try again tomorrow - but you guys seem to know you

stuff
and thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

ADSL starts working whenever BT have finished doing the work - not at
midnight..

Oh!

Assuming you have an Alcatel USB modem.. it sounds like your line has been
enabled as your ADSL light is on all the time...

Its a binatone

When you try and "dial up" (Windows thinks USB modems are dial-up modems)
what happens, any error message?

I get a "page can't display" message - according to the instructions a
Binatone page should appear, where I enter username and password etc.

Also, check you have correctly installed any ADSL filters needed.

Remember,
everything should be filtered, apart from the signal to the USB modem.

I have a white plug, on one end it says ADSL - I have the modem in there,
the other end says TEL I have the phone in there. That white plug then goes
into the socket on the wall. Is that right? I had 2 filter things in the
box, whats the other one for? Do I need it?

Which ISP is it? Its possible the ISP won't activate your

username/password
details on their own systems until later tonight but that would suprise

me..

NDO - to be honest so far they have been great, kept me up-to-date at all
times, they were the only ISP that were interested to get me on the MK
Trial, no-one else including BT seemed to be interested in the slightest.

And just a question, the modem is USB which is fine, but in my settings

it
says the local area connection is disabled - and it won't enable, is

this
anything to do with the modem? Just wanted to rule that out - its been
disabled since I had the PC. Its a Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit
Ethernet NIC. What does this do BTW?

Thats a network card - probably built into your motherboard - nothing to

do
with the ADSL USB modem.

If you really want to enable that - see if there are any drivers on your
motherboard cd/manufacturers web site

Yeah thanks I might look into that at a later stage.

Old June 10th 04, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"nojunkrequired" wrote in
message ...
Assuming you have an Alcatel USB modem.. it sounds like your line has

been
enabled as your ADSL light is on all the time...

Its a binatone

Have you tried/followed the instructions at
http://www.ndo.com/ndo/Support/Binat...nusbmodem.html

In particular, I see if you are using WindowsXP you need SP1 installed...

Also, check you have correctly installed any ADSL filters needed.

Remember,
everything should be filtered, apart from the signal to the USB modem.

I have a white plug, on one end it says ADSL - I have the modem in there,
the other end says TEL I have the phone in there. That white plug then

goes
into the socket on the wall. Is that right? I had 2 filter things in the
box, whats the other one for? Do I need it?

Seems right - the 2nd filter is for any telephone extensions or Sky boxes
plugged into your telephone line/circuit..

Regards
Sunil

Old June 10th 04, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nojunkrequired

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"nojunkrequired" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Yep - I have service pack 1, I clicked on My Computer Properties and it says
service pack 1 - 2002 - Home Edition.

I really appreciate your help, I am actually following those very
instructions! Got them printed out in front of me now!

Any other suggestions? I will try again tomorrow.

Its annoying I have been waiting for BB since it was annoucned all those
years back, finally got on the MK Trail (I had no chance before, have had BT
out loads of times) Frankly if I get 3 times the speed of dialup its going
to be worth it! If I can get somewhere near 10 times, I am going to be over
the moon.

Regards

Old June 10th 04, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

nojunkrequired wrote:
"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"nojunkrequired"
wrote in message ...
[...]

Keep on trying; I would have thought you'd be able to access the modem's web
interface whether you have ADSL installed or not, so waiting probably won't
help you

Dominic

Old June 10th 04, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"nojunkrequired" wrote in
message ...
I really appreciate your help, I am actually following those very
instructions! Got them printed out in front of me now!

Any other suggestions? I will try again tomorrow.

I am not familar with the Binatone - so you may have to ask NDO tomorrow but
I believe the Binatone USB modem is unusual as its actually stores the
username/password - unlike most USB modems which rely on Windows for all the
settings.

As such, one other thing you can try is (in IE):

- Go to tools/Internet Connections/Connections tab and choose/change the
setting to "Never Dial a connection"

Then try connecting to the Binatone configuration page http://192.168.2.1

Regards
Sunil

Old June 10th 04, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nojunkrequired

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"nojunkrequired" wrote in
message ...
I really appreciate your help, I am actually following those very
instructions! Got them printed out in front of me now!

Any other suggestions? I will try again tomorrow.

I am not familar with the Binatone - so you may have to ask NDO tomorrow

but
I believe the Binatone USB modem is unusual as its actually stores the
username/password - unlike most USB modems which rely on Windows for all

the
settings.

As such, one other thing you can try is (in IE):

- Go to tools/Internet Connections/Connections tab and choose/change the
setting to "Never Dial a connection"

Then try connecting to the Binatone configuration page http://192.168.2.1

Regards
Sunil

OK cheers!

I am off to try that! Although the instructions do say I have to enter the
username and password myself - if I have understood what your saying above.
The problem is I have not got that far to enter them!

Regards

Old June 10th 04, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"nojunkrequired" wrote in
message ...
I am off to try that! Although the instructions do say I have to enter the
username and password myself - if I have understood what your saying

above.
The problem is I have not got that far to enter them!

The only other thing to check if that doesn't work is check that the drivers
have installed properly..

As Dominic says it seems your ADSL line is working so there is no pint
waiting until morning unless you absolutely must..

Also, cehck the drivers are correctly installed - two things in particular
come to mind:

1. Did WinXP say your drivers are "unsigned" and you gave permission to
install them. Some installations of WindowsXP block unsigned drivers from
setting)

2. You did install the drivers when the modem was *not* connected to the PC?

If not, try unistalling all the drivers and disconencting the modem, before
reinstalling the drivers.

Regards
Sunil