WTF - hosting/maint charge of 250 per month - comments please

Old June 11th 04, 12:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

Default WTF - hosting/maint charge of 250 per month - comments please

I have just taken over the IT management for a business and one thing
that came with the 'bundle' was liason with their Web hosting companies.
For one site (very plain, no fancy anything, no back-end stuff, not a
sniff of CGI, PHP ASP - not even a form2mail, insignificant number of
monthly hits etc.) we have been billed 250/month for god knows how
long. What would you expect to get for that kind of money (apart from an
empty bank account!?).

I'm going to tackle them next week and would like some comparisons.

L3K
Old June 11th 04, 01:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alexander Mann

Linker3000 wrote:

I have just taken over the IT management for a business and one thing
that came with the 'bundle' was liason with their Web hosting companies.
For one site (very plain, no fancy anything, no back-end stuff, not a
sniff of CGI, PHP ASP - not even a form2mail, insignificant number of
monthly hits etc.) we have been billed 250/month for god knows how
long. What would you expect to get for that kind of money (apart from an
empty bank account!?).

I'm going to tackle them next week and would like some comparisons.

L3K

Gradwell (www.gradwell.com) seem to be one of the best companies and
they cost more than most. But even they don't charge anything like
that. They charge, iirc, about 100pa for webhosting and email...

Old June 11th 04, 02:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nsj

Linker3000 wrote:

I have just taken over the IT management for a business and one thing
that came with the 'bundle' was liason with their Web hosting companies.
For one site (very plain, no fancy anything, no back-end stuff, not a
sniff of CGI, PHP ASP - not even a form2mail, insignificant number of
monthly hits etc.) we have been billed 250/month for god knows how
long. What would you expect to get for that kind of money (apart from an
empty bank account!?).

You could have a co-lo for far less than UKP250pcm

--
Now Playing: The Streets - Dry Your Eyes [224kbps ogg]
Old June 11th 04, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

On 11/6/04 12:13 am, in article ,
"Linker3000" wrote:

I have just taken over the IT management for a business and one thing
that came with the 'bundle' was liason with their Web hosting companies.
For one site (very plain, no fancy anything, no back-end stuff, not a
sniff of CGI, PHP ASP - not even a form2mail, insignificant number of
monthly hits etc.) we have been billed 250/month for god knows how
long. What would you expect to get for that kind of money (apart from an
empty bank account!?).

I'm going to tackle them next week and would like some comparisons.

L3K

I'd suggest its entirely dependant upon how much space the website uses, and
how much traffic it generates.

Give us all a clue here !

Old June 18th 04, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan Journo

We have a dedicated server with Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition
with 100Gig of transfer for 194 + vat. That includes 24 hour
telephone support and 99.9% uptime guarantee. Thats the least you
should be getting!

I'd you'll like more info on the package we have, please email me and
i'll refer you to the company we use for a quote. I don't want to
mention the company here because if i refer you, we both get a bonus.
It doesn't harm to get a quote.

Dan Journo
Mouselotto
www.MouseLotto.co.uk