Problems with Pipex

Old June 11th 04, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

Default Problems with Pipex

I have a strange problem at the moment which I am hoping someone may
be able to help me with. I can browse the net and download mail via
OE6 from my BTInternet account but I cannot reach any Pipex web sites
or download mail from Pipex. The error I get is:
The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Pipex', Server:
'pop.dsl.pipex.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E.
Pipex support could only help by giving me a proxy server to use but
that doesn't enable me to get mail just browse the Pipex websites.
If I change my router config to/from PPPoA/PPPoE I can browse Pipex
websites but as soon as I try and get mail I am back to having to use
the proxy.
Thanks
Martin
Old June 12th 04, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

"Martin" wrote in message
om...
I have a strange problem at the moment which I am hoping someone may
be able to help me with. I can browse the net and download mail via
OE6 from my BTInternet account but I cannot reach any Pipex web sites
or download mail from Pipex. The error I get is:
The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Pipex', Server:
'pop.dsl.pipex.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E.
Pipex support could only help by giving me a proxy server to use but
that doesn't enable me to get mail just browse the Pipex websites.
If I change my router config to/from PPPoA/PPPoE I can browse Pipex
websites but as soon as I try and get mail I am back to having to use
the proxy.

Could it be that your router firewall or other firewall settings are
preventing you from connecting to the POP server?

Gareth.

Old June 12th 04, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alien Zord

"Martin" wrote in message
om...
I have a strange problem at the moment which I am hoping someone may
be able to help me with. I can browse the net and download mail via
OE6 from my BTInternet account but I cannot reach any Pipex web sites
or download mail from Pipex. The error I get is:
The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Pipex', Server:
'pop.dsl.pipex.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E.
Pipex support could only help by giving me a proxy server to use but
that doesn't enable me to get mail just browse the Pipex websites.
If I change my router config to/from PPPoA/PPPoE I can browse Pipex
websites but as soon as I try and get mail I am back to having to use
the proxy.

1) To date BT based ADSL has always been PPPoA
2) In email settings make sure the account name field contains your full
email address and not your alias or xxxxnn only.

Old June 12th 04, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MA

Martin wrote:
I have a strange problem at the moment which I am hoping someone may
be able to help me with. I can browse the net and download mail via
OE6 from my BTInternet account but I cannot reach any Pipex web sites
or download mail from Pipex. The error I get is:
The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Pipex', Server:
'pop.dsl.pipex.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E.
Pipex support could only help by giving me a proxy server to use but
that doesn't enable me to get mail just browse the Pipex websites.
If I change my router config to/from PPPoA/PPPoE I can browse Pipex
websites but as soon as I try and get mail I am back to having to use
the proxy.
Thanks
Martin

If you go to a DOS prompt and type "telnet pop.dsl.pipex.com 110" you should
get a screen up that says "+OK POP3 Ready gorf" or something similar. Should
show if it's OE or your PC

Post a traceroute to it as well, "tracert pop.dsl.pipex.com"

Old June 12th 04, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mumraaaaaaaaaaa

Try resetting your router, I had this problem, I quick reset sorted it all
out.

Pete

Old June 13th 04, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

"Mumraaaaaaaaaaa" wrote in message ...
Try resetting your router, I had this problem, I quick reset sorted it all
out.

Pete

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have sorted this out now. It turned
out to be my wireless router that was causing it.

Martin