Strange Connectivity Problem

Old June 12th 04, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Wizzo

Default Strange Connectivity Problem

3 or 4 months back we signed up for ADSL at work with freenetname (I believe
supplied via brightview). They supplied us with a D-Link DSL-300 modem, and
we have purchased a D-Link DI-604 router. Both have been replaced at some
point.

What happens is when we connect we get a stable connection for a few days
and then it dies, sometimes switching the modem and router off at the mains
and then back on will cause it to connect again.

I also noticed that when the modem was connected directly to a PC, if I
checked the IP lease time it started at 1 minute and would then drop to 10
seconds, this seemed unusual to me since I am on NTL and my lease time is
almost 24hrs.

I phoned Freenetname support about this and they were unable to explain to
me why the leasetime was so short or why it changed, stating merely it was a
dynamic IP and there was no lease time. I also asked about the connection
problem and they seemed intent on blaming the router.

With the modem connected direct to the PC I did my own test, boot up the PC
wait for connection, then switch off the pc and modem and try again, I did
this about 20 times and most of the time it would connect ok but about a
third of the time it would connect for a minute and then die again.

So now we have it all set up, leave the modem and router switched on at
night but still every few days we come to it in the morning and the
connection is dead :-s

Can anyone throw any light on this, maybe a few ideas what it might be?

Old June 12th 04, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Mr Wizzo wrote:

[...]

You appear to be using a separate modem and router rather than a router with
a built-in modem? In that case I'm not quite sure where the division of
responsibility lies!

I have a combined modem/router/firewall - and that has parameters in its
setup for "dial on demand" and "idle time" - so it is also suitable for use
in countries where they have PAYG DSL, and can drop the connection after the
specified idle time when there is no traffic on the line.

If you have a similar facility (not sure where it would be in your setup)
make sure either that it is disabled or that the idle time is set to a very
long time - like 2000 minutes or more.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 12th 04, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Alan LeHun wrote:
I thought payg dsl models were based on traffic, not time. A model
whereby you pay for time on dsl just doesn't make sense to me, because
you are not actually using up an allocatable resource when you are
connected but not doing anything.

A model based on time for dsl as opposed to traffic doesn't make much sense
to me either.

However, thats the model some ISP's/countries use!

In fact, I think there are even one or two ISP's in the UK which do it - for
instance Nildam offer it as an option on at least one of their products.

Regards
Sunil

Old June 12th 04, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Wizzo

You appear to be using a separate modem and router rather than a router

with
a built-in modem? In that case I'm not quite sure where the division of
responsibility lies!

The way I see it the modem is their responsibility the router is mine, which
would explain their insistance the router is the problem. No disrespect to
these people but their support dept is worse than NTL's :-o

I have a combined modem/router/firewall - and that has parameters in its
setup for "dial on demand" and "idle time" - so it is also suitable for

use
in countries where they have PAYG DSL, and can drop the connection after

the
specified idle time when there is no traffic on the line.

If you have a similar facility (not sure where it would be in your setup)
make sure either that it is disabled or that the idle time is set to a

very
long time - like 2000 minutes or more.

I'll take a look at that on monday thanks

Old June 12th 04, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Mr Wizzo wrote:

You appear to be using a separate modem and router rather than a
router with a built-in modem? In that case I'm not quite sure where
the division of responsibility lies!

The way I see it the modem is their responsibility the router is
mine, which would explain their insistance the router is the problem.
No disrespect to these people but their support dept is worse than
NTL's :-o

I was actually using the term "division of responsibility" in a technical
rather than contractual sense. What I meant was that I am not sure which of
the setup parameters are controled by the modem, and which by the router -
so I'm not sure where you would have to look to find an Idle Time setting.

Your modem presumably connects to the router via an ethernet port? Can you
set up telnet sessions with the modem and router (or maybe access them with
your browser) in order to configure them?

--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 15th 04, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Wizzo

"Mr Wizzo" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

[...]

Hmmm checked that and thats all OK, but came to use it this morning and the
connection was dead. Had to go to the modem web interface and disconnect
then reconect, do the same on the router web interface and this got it going
again. Totally stumped by this.

Old June 15th 04, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Mr Wizzo wrote:

Hmmm checked that and thats all OK, but came to use it this morning
and the connection was dead. Had to go to the modem web interface and
disconnect then reconect, do the same on the router web interface and
this got it going again. Totally stumped by this.

When you say it's "ok" - what exactly do you mean?

Does either the modem or the router have a "connect on demand" parameter? If
so, what is it set to? Does either have an "inactivity time" or equivalent?
If so, what is it set to?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 15th 04, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Wizzo

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
Mr Wizzo wrote:

Hmmm checked that and thats all OK, but came to use it this morning
and the connection was dead. Had to go to the modem web interface and
disconnect then reconect, do the same on the router web interface and
this got it going again. Totally stumped by this.

When you say it's "ok" - what exactly do you mean?

Does either the modem or the router have a "connect on demand" parameter?

If
so, what is it set to? Does either have an "inactivity time" or

equivalent?
If so, what is it set to?

The modem has an 'idle-time' disconnect which is set at 0 minutes, which I
will assume is an 'off'
setting, the router doesnt appear to have this setting but does have an
'auto-reconect' which is
enabled. As with most if not all BT ADSL ISP's we connect using PPoA, but
the router doesnt so I
have it set to dynamic IP, A friend of mine on ADSL uses the same modem and
router and this setting
works for him.

One thing that did occur to me, the router is set to clone the MAC address
of the main PC could this
cause the problem (although the connection when it dies does so for all
conected PC's) or could it
be when we boot up the computers in the morning this one needs to be turned
on first maybe?