Netgear DG 834

Old June 12th 04, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

Default Netgear DG 834

I wonder if there are any known issues with the Netgear DG 834?

The particular problem that I am having is that after a longish
session of downloading with Limewire (a java P2P client) I cannot use
any internet service that relies on DNS (I have not yet tried to
access sites with the IP address as I need DNS services to get to
sites to look up IP addys).

I can still d/l with Limewire though. I did have a similar problem
when I had the router on top of my desk where it was in sunlight.
Since the move down under (the desk) the problem has been less
frequent. I did not have any problems d/l mandrake linux.

Firmware version is the latest as per Netgear site.

The problem seems to right itself after a while. Rebooting and
unplugging the router does not help. Whilst having the problem I
cannot logon to the router itself.

TIA.

Cheers,

Guy

** I may not be perfect, but I'm
** English, and that's the next best thing!
Old June 12th 04, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Russell

"Dr Teeth" wrote in message
[...]

I've read on a few forums that the Netgear range of routers have problems
when using p2p software that uses many connections, as this "confuses" the
router.

I had a problem a few months ago, and the problem turned out to be eMule.

Russell

Old June 13th 04, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:29:38 +0100, "Russell"
wrote:

I've read on a few forums that the Netgear range of routers have problems
when using p2p software that uses many connections, as this "confuses" the
router.

I had a problem a few months ago, and the problem turned out to be eMule.

According to my ISP, my equipment requested a PPP disconnect. BY too
many connections, what do you mean? I have all my P2P clients
similarly configured. Did you solve your problem by reconfiguring
Emule or by ditching it.

I'm having the prob with Limewire Pro (acquired g).

Old June 13th 04, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Russell

wrote:

I've read on a few forums that the Netgear range of routers have problems
when using p2p software that uses many connections, as this "confuses"

the
router.

I had a problem a few months ago, and the problem turned out to be eMule.

According to my ISP, my equipment requested a PPP disconnect. BY too
many connections, what do you mean? I have all my P2P clients
similarly configured. Did you solve your problem by reconfiguring
Emule or by ditching it.

I'm having the prob with Limewire Pro (acquired g).

If I don't use eMule for too long it's OK. It can be slow to download off,
and if I leave it on all day or all night, I tend to have problems.

I think the problems are down to the Netgear routers having limitations on
the maximum UDP connections it can make, and it has something to do with the
NAT processing of the router.

Russell

Old June 13th 04, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Dr Teeth wrote:
I wonder if there are any known issues with the Netgear DG 834?

The particular problem that I am having is that after a longish
session of downloading with Limewire (a java P2P client) I cannot use
any internet service that relies on DNS (I have not yet tried to
access sites with the IP address as I need DNS services to get to
sites to look up IP addys).

I can still d/l with Limewire though. I did have a similar problem
when I had the router on top of my desk where it was in sunlight.
Since the move down under (the desk) the problem has been less
frequent. I did not have any problems d/l mandrake linux.

Firmware version is the latest as per Netgear site.

The problem seems to right itself after a while. Rebooting and
unplugging the router does not help. Whilst having the problem I
cannot logon to the router itself.

No problem with Shareaza running for several days on two wireless laptops
through a DG834G on firmware 1.04.01. I've disabled DOS and port scanning
detection because it goes a bit mad with P2P and is only likely to prevent
perfectly acceptable attempts to connect. Of course, I've assigned static IP
addresses to the machines and configured Shareaza to work on different ports
for each machine so that I can port forward properly. It all works like a
charm.

--
Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.

Old June 13th 04, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:49:26 +0100, "Tiny Tim"
wrote:

No problem with Shareaza running for several days on two wireless laptops
through a DG834G on firmware 1.04.01. I've disabled DOS and port scanning
detection because it goes a bit mad with P2P and is only likely to prevent
perfectly acceptable attempts to connect. Of course, I've assigned static IP
addresses to the machines and configured Shareaza to work on different ports
for each machine so that I can port forward properly. It all works like a
charm.

I only have the problem with Limewire pro, but not every time that I
use it. I can use my other P2P clients without any problems. Trouble
is Limewire Pro gives the best d/l speeds, often maxing out my 2Mb
ADSL connection as soon as I start downloading.

What are the symptoms of "DOS and port scanning going a bit mad"?

Old June 13th 04, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

The particular problem that I am having is that after a longish
session of downloading with Limewire (a java P2P client) I cannot use
any internet service that relies on DNS

This may sound like an odd question, but what version of windows are you
using ?

I have a problem where I get buffer deadlocks or find buffer errors in
the tcp/ip, but I think that`s down to me using win98se.

I have yet to find out the maximum number of tcp/ip connections win98se
can use reliably.

On top of that, I have a sneaky feeling the java app I use (Azureus)
doesn`t release connections properly once the max limit I set has been
reached.

Old June 14th 04, 07:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

wrote:

No problem with Shareaza running for several days on two wireless
laptops through a DG834G on firmware 1.04.01. I've disabled DOS and
port scanning detection because it goes a bit mad with P2P and is
only likely to prevent perfectly acceptable attempts to connect. Of
course, I've assigned static IP addresses to the machines and
configured Shareaza to work on different ports for each machine so
that I can port forward properly. It all works like a charm.

I only have the problem with Limewire pro, but not every time that I
use it. I can use my other P2P clients without any problems. Trouble
is Limewire Pro gives the best d/l speeds, often maxing out my 2Mb
ADSL connection as soon as I start downloading.

What are the symptoms of "DOS and port scanning going a bit mad"?

The log fills up very quickly with reports of the above when running P2P.
Given that I'm trying to make my connection available to others I imagine
that allowing the router to monitor for these circumstances may cause it to
block access to the peers trying to connect to me. By disabling DOS and
scanning detection I hope/assume that I am helping my router to allow me
many more connections than otherwise. This may be a false assumption but it
keeps me happy. At the end of the day the firewall is still there to block
attacks via any other ports.

--
Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.