BT to extend adsl... trials

Old June 13th 04, 12:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default BT to extend adsl... trials

Some time ago, BT announced trials to extend the possible distance from exchange
to over 6km. I have been away from this group for a while and wondered if there
was any more news on these trials. Whether they have started, if there have
been results announced? Or even whether the extension has been properly rolled
out?
Thanks.

Old June 13th 04, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Beck" wrote in message

Some time ago, BT announced trials to extend the possible distance
from exchange to over 6km. I have been away from this group for a
while and wondered if there was any more news on these trials.
Whether they have started, if there have been results announced? Or
even whether the extension has been properly rolled out?

BT started the Milton Keynes trial on the 1st June - it seems to be going
reasonably well and will probably last 3 months.

There is some feedback on http://www.bb4mk.org/trial-begins.htm from
trialists.

BT have also announced they are going to extend the trial to two more
exchanges (Ford William and Dingwall in Scotland) from the 1st July.

Regards
Sunil

Old June 13th 04, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nojunkrequired

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
"Beck" wrote in message

Some time ago, BT announced trials to extend the possible distance
from exchange to over 6km. I have been away from this group for a
while and wondered if there was any more news on these trials.
Whether they have started, if there have been results announced? Or
even whether the extension has been properly rolled out?

BT started the Milton Keynes trial on the 1st June - it seems to be going
reasonably well and will probably last 3 months.

There is some feedback on http://www.bb4mk.org/trial-begins.htm from
trialists.

BT have also announced they are going to extend the trial to two more
exchanges (Ford William and Dingwall in Scotland) from the 1st July.

Regards
Sunil

Yep - its running in MK now and mine is working 100% - very happy so far!

Regards

Old June 13th 04, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Francis John Armstrong

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:36:21 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

There is some feedback on http://www.bb4mk.org/trial-begins.htm from
trialists.

I note that amongst the testimonials is not one referece to distance
from exchange. Not too useful as a source for the likely future roll
out parameters.

Regards,
Francis.
Old June 13th 04, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

wrote:

There is some feedback on http://www.bb4mk.org/trial-begins.htm from
trialists.

I note that amongst the testimonials is not one referece to distance
from exchange. Not too useful as a source for the likely future roll
out parameters.

Its in progress.

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins

UK Broadband Usergroup http://www.uk-bug.net
Old June 13th 04, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

On 13/6/04 1:52 pm, in article ,

wrote:

There is some feedback on
http://www.bb4mk.org/trial-begins.htm from
trialists.

I note that amongst the testimonials is not one referece to distance
from exchange. Not too useful as a source for the likely future roll
out parameters.

Thatıs why its called a trial - try different lengths and see what happens !

Old June 13th 04, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nojunkrequired

On 13/6/04 1:52 pm, in article ,

wrote:

There is some feedback on
http://www.bb4mk.org/trial-begins.htm from
trialists.

I note that amongst the testimonials is not one referece to distance
from exchange. Not too useful as a source for the likely future roll
out parameters.

Thatıs why its called a trial - try different lengths and see what happens

!

I got told 6.2km - on more than 1 occasion, so the information must be
available.

Old June 13th 04, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Francis John Armstrong

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 14:04:59 +0100, Graham in Melton
wrote:

Thatıs why its called a trial - try different lengths and see what happens !

No it isn't. It's called "The Emails...". Either the distances
have been removed or they weren't presented in the emails to the
MKBAG. Either way we are given no information other than that
previously denied numbers appear to have obtained success in varying
degrees.

Clearly it's being collated by BT, it would have been useful
to have it with the apocryphal information presented at the webs site.
No big deal, BT will make a decision based on the commercial
realities, I'm simply somewhat eager to determine what the operational
parameters are showing from the test group, your mileage may vary.
Old June 13th 04, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

On 13/6/04 2:54 pm, in article ,

wrote:

Thatıs why its called a trial - try different lengths and see what happens !

No it isn't. It's called "The Emails...". Either the distances
have been removed or they weren't presented in the emails to the
MKBAG. Either way we are given no information other than that
previously denied numbers appear to have obtained success in varying
degrees.

BT are not inviting the public a part in making a decision for them are they
? Sure people are taking part in the trial but as you acknowledge later on
in your reply, the final decision is made by BT.

Clearly it's being collated by BT, it would have been useful
to have it with the apocryphal information presented at the webs site.

To whom ? Not to BT as all it does is start a storm of protest from those
outside the limit complaining is should be extended .. There is no
advantage to BT discussing publicly in detail what they are hoping to
achieve.

No big deal, BT will make a decision based on the commercial
realities, I'm simply somewhat eager to determine what the operational
parameters are showing from the test group, your mileage may vary.

Your acknowledgement of the commercial realities is gratifying, but rare !

I'm not sure why you think knowledge of the operational parameters would be
useful to the community at large.... Even if you are doing research on the
topic BT are within their rights to withhold their IPR in terms of network
design.

What is your interest in the operational parameters as you put it ?

Another barrack room lawyer looking to complain ?

Old June 13th 04, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"nojunkrequired" wrote in message

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
"Beck" wrote in message

Some time ago, BT announced trials to extend the possible distance
from exchange to over 6km. I have been away from this group for a
while and wondered if there was any more news on these trials.
Whether they have started, if there have been results announced? Or
even whether the extension has been properly rolled out?

BT started the Milton Keynes trial on the 1st June - it seems to be going
reasonably well and will probably last 3 months.

There is some feedback on http://www.bb4mk.org/trial-begins.htm from
trialists.

BT have also announced they are going to extend the trial to two more
exchanges (Ford William and Dingwall in Scotland) from the 1st July.

Regards
Sunil

Yep - its running in MK now and mine is working 100% - very happy so far!

Thats great. How far are you from the exchange? Also do you know your db loss
reading? This will give me an indicator of whether it may eventually be
possible for me to get adsl. As far as I know, I am 6.75km from exchange and
have a db loss reading of 64db