Recomendation Which ADSL ISp can provide ?

Old June 13th 04, 01:30 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
Aquazur-Dra

Default Recomendation Which ADSL ISp can provide ?

have had look at www.net4nowt.com and www.ispreview.co.uk for opinions of
the users of all the services and www.adslguide.org.uk to compare different
prices etc for services.

But am still struggling to decide which ADSL ISP to use to enable set up of
SOHO Wireless ADSL network ( 3 computers) need top provide

1) effective anti-Spam block on incoming mail server ?

2) effective anti-virus scanning of outgoing/ incoming e-mail ?

3) allow retrieval email from PO3 mail accounts ( using outlook)

4) min 10MBfile attachments on e mails

5) web retreival of e -mails

6) max 3 month contract ideally 30 inc vat per month

7) no initial connection charges

8) Roaming 56k Dun access to e mail.

9) non premium rate telephone /on line support ? [ Min 8am-8pm weekdays
9am-5pm Saturdays ]

10) Min up load speed 250kbs

11) Min download speed 512 kbs ( with unlimited restriction on bandwidth
used )

11) min 1 off fixed IP adress( use to use VPN to connect to Office server)

12) Newsgroup access

13) Min 30M web space and accept the use of MS 'Front Page2000 extensions'

14) willing to provide on line/ off line printable Monthly vat invoice

any suggestions and why?

`,,,,`,,,,`,,,,`
reply Dave Armes
NB remove {nospam.} filter to reply
`,,,,`,,,,`,,,,`

Old June 13th 04, 04:48 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Aquazur-Dra wrote:

[...]

You can have most of that with PlusNet for 22 quid per month - but I don't
think you'll find *any* ISP which will give you a monthly contract *and* no
setup charges. It costs the ISP 50-odd quid to have BT turn up the service,
and they have to recover that somehow - either by locking you into a 12
month contract or by having you pay the setup fee yourself up-front. PlusNet
will waive the setup fee if you pay an extra five and a half quid for the
first year - but there is a cancellation charge if you cancel in under a
year. You'll still have to provide your own hardware - unless you pay seven
and a half quid instead of five and a half for the first year - when they
then provide a USB modem (which you won't want anyway - because you'll need
a router).

I'm not sure about a printed monthly VAT invoice - not on a domestic account
at any rate. Maybe you can have with a business account, but that is more
expensive.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 13th 04, 05:23 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 13:30:56 +0100, "Aquazur-Dra"
wrote:

any suggestions and why?

No suggestions... why ? I doubt you will find a single ISP which
offers all of that and if they are all "essentials" then you might
get some suggestions that score 10 of 14 (I saw the long list some
weeks ago, and gave up when I saw you get on to wireless on top of
a load of other requirements). Of course, I may be wrong but some
other person might have identified a suitable ISP for you, yet the
lack of such a suggestion makes me think it less and less likely.

Anyway, here's my stab at some answers and other thoughts:

1) effective anti-Spam block on incoming mail server ?

Wouldn't let an ISP mess with my mail - if I get it wrong then there's
only me to blame. Sure, ISPs may get it right, but it will be costed
into the solution and can be a cause of delay (and if the rules get a
bit mixed, will it NEVER zap my important mail ?)

2) effective anti-virus scanning of outgoing/ incoming e-mail ?

Do it yourself. Extra load on ISP slows down the mail. Some daft
rules might be implemented (not allowed to send a .exe using one of
the ISPs, from memory, so must send as zip)... what rule might some
ISP decide on next week/month and block your outgoing mail.

3) allow retrieval email from PO3 mail accounts ( using outlook)

Only BT Broadband has no POP mailboxes AFAIK, so not likely to be a
problem with any UK ISP. Any others give no POP mailbox ?

4) min 10MBfile attachments on e mails

Daft to send as attachments, save the file and tell someone the URL
so they can choose to download it when it is convenient (eg not the
person using his mobile phone) and if they want to do so.

5) web retreival of e -mails

some ISP services I've seen are poor on this anyway. I can use my
ISP's webmail (PlusNet) but have accounts with runbox.com and some
other services. Try http://2238.runbox.com/ free (100 MB space)

6) max 3 month contract ideally 30 inc vat per month
7) no initial connection charges

Together these make the choice limited. Perhaps virgin.net still
offer 1 month notice and no setup fee. Sorry this isn't something
I look at all the time. Some of my clients use Metronet which has
a setup fee and low monthly fees (based on their low usage)

8) Roaming 56k Dun access to e mail.

Wipes out PlusNet as they allocate you a fixed IP and one connection
might then get confused. Will you pay 0845 charges for DUN use (it
would be easy to have a free account for 0845 but pay for ADSL with
different usernames)

9) non premium rate telephone /on line support ? [ Min 8am-8pm weekdays
9am-5pm Saturdays ]

Some ISPs were not open on Saturdays for those hours, perhaps they are
now.

10) Min up load speed 250kbs
11) Min download speed 512 kbs ( with unlimited restriction on bandwidth
used )

might wipe Metronet out, but lots of choices still for ISPs

11) min 1 off fixed IP adress( use to use VPN to connect to Office server)

makes you a business user, so maybe going to cost you more anyway...
the 30 quid you mentioned - is that meant to include VAT or exc VAT ?

12) Newsgroup access

mmmmmmm, will you spend an extra $10 a month for this, cos you are
making the options harder now!

13) Min 30M web space and accept the use of MS 'Front Page2000 extensions'

Yuk... buy separate hosting and you could have 500 MB if you wanted,
and switching ISP wouldn't break all URLs you had already given people

14) willing to provide on line/ off line printable Monthly vat invoice

Perhaps Eclipse offers paper invoices for VAT.
Old June 13th 04, 05:37 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
Justin Johnson

Freedom2surf.net can do most of these, I'll indicate what below:

1) effective anti-Spam block on incoming mail server ?

Yep - You can manage this from the freedom2surf members area and can opt out
at any time.

2) effective anti-virus scanning of outgoing/ incoming e-mail ?

freedom2surf do it for incoming and nothing seems to ever get through it,
can be opted out of again

3) allow retrieval email from PO3 mail accounts ( using outlook)

Yep, 20x20MB POP3 Accounts supplied as standard with unlimited aliases

4) min 10MBfile attachments on e mails

Attachments up to 20MB accepted

5) web retreival of e -mails

Yep, thru http://webmail.freedom2surf.net - webmail application is
outstanding

6) max 3 month contract ideally 30 inc vat per month
7) no initial connection charges
freedom2surf will do a 1 month contract with no activation fee but if you
leave within 12 months, you have to pay disconnection fee of 59.99

8) Roaming 56k Dun access to e mail.

No problem, a dialup 0845 account with no inital setup required is included

9) non premium rate telephone /on line support ? [ Min 8am-8pm weekdays

9am-5pm Saturdays
freedom2surf support is 9:30 - 5:30PM via email and Phone Monday to Friday,
outside these times online support via www.freedom2support.net (Unofficial
though)

10) Min up load speed 250kbs

Yep 256 with f2s

11) Min download speed 512 kbs ( with unlimited restriction on bandwidth

used)
14.99 pcm for 1GB / 19.99 pcm for 5GB / 22.50 pcm for Unlimited

11) min 1 off fixed IP adress( use to use VPN to connect to Office server)

Supplied as standard, extra are avaliable if needed.

12) Newsgroup access

Yep, hardly any binaries though, but text feed is excellent.

13) Min 30M web space and accept the use of MS 'Front Page2000 extensions'

50MB supplied with 5MB MySQL Database, FP Ext for versions 1997-2003, PHP,
CGI and SSI.

14) willing to provide on line/ off line printable Monthly vat invoice

May be possible, not sure, but may be hard, invoices are avaliable through
members area.

Old June 13th 04, 06:02 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"poster" wrote in message

3) allow retrieval email from PO3 mail accounts ( using outlook)

Only BT Broadband has no POP mailboxes AFAIK, so not likely to be a
problem with any UK ISP. Any others give no POP mailbox ?

As standard - Bulldog don't.

Its a chargeable option if you want e-mail accounts directly from them,
rather than arranging your own e-mail provision.

Regards
Sunil

Old June 13th 04, 07:37 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:02 +0100, in alt.internet.providers.uk,
"Sunil Sood" wrote:

As standard - Bulldog don't.

Yes, I remembered soon after posting, having looked at them for myself.

Its a chargeable option if you want e-mail accounts directly from them,
rather than arranging your own e-mail provision.

Similarly, fixed IP is a chargeable option from some ISPs, if fixed IP
is offered at all...
Old June 13th 04, 11:54 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Wizzo

I'm not sure about a printed monthly VAT invoice - not on a domestic
account
at any rate. Maybe you can have with a business account, but that is more
expensive.

I would be very suprised if any ISP supplied an invoice without the VAT
number on it, as for printed, switch on yer print open the one they mail ya
and click print, sorted

Old June 14th 04, 10:54 AM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Mr Wizzo wrote:

I'm not sure about a printed monthly VAT invoice - not on a domestic
account at any rate. Maybe you can have with a business account, but
that is more expensive.

I would be very suprised if any ISP supplied an invoice without the
VAT number on it, as for printed, switch on yer print open the one
they mail ya and click print, sorted

But the thing is, they *don't* email you an invoice if you're on an
unlimited bandwidth service with the fixed monthly charge - they just
execute a Direct Debit or debit your credit card, depending on your payment
arrangements.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 14th 04, 06:58 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Wizzo

But the thing is, they *don't* email you an invoice if you're on an
unlimited bandwidth service with the fixed monthly charge - they just
execute a Direct Debit or debit your credit card, depending on your

payment
arrangements.

Depends on the ISP I suppose, the ISP we use at work emails us an invoice
every month which we just print off. The account wasnt signed up as a
business account, I know cos I did it myself, I signed it up as any regular
user would. I have just signed with Pipex myself and no sign of an invoice
yet, but my first bill aint due for a few days, if not I know they are on
the website for me to DL and print.