plus net port/protocol blocking

Old June 14th 04, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lesshaste

Default plus net port/protocol blocking

Hi,

Does anyone know how exactly plus net stop p2p etc. on their cheaper
broadband services (e.g. 18.99 pcm)? I am interested both from the
point of view of intellectual curiousity and because I would like to
know what exactly is failing due to their blocking something and what is
due to my simply having misconfigured something (like rsync for example)

What is slightly odd is that I am beginning to suspect they are not
simply blocking ports. I could be wrong but some things that I really
didn't expect to work do work and somethings that I do expect to work
(e.g. bittorrent over port 22) appear not to.

Cheers,
Raphael
Old June 14th 04, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gus

The p2p and binary feed free ADSL accounts are on a different IP range,
which makes it easier to manage the traffic for the IP block as a whole. So
would guess it port blocking on the default p2p and new feeds ports.

Old June 14th 04, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred bloggs

"Gus" wrote in message
The p2p and binary feed free ADSL accounts are on a different IP range,
which makes it easier to manage the traffic for the IP block as a whole.

So
would guess it port blocking on the default p2p and new feeds ports.

I have also found that some of these P2P programmes hop ports as well so you
have to careful about what you do block as you may not defeat them entirely.
In a post further down, ("Any point in multiple firewalls") I was explaining
that I got a Netscreen device off eBay and configured it so that the well
known ports like HTTP etc are put at a higher priority than all the others
so that they end up just using my non-used white space.

Regards, Mike

Old June 15th 04, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lighterboy

Does anyone know how exactly plus net stop p2p etc. on their cheaper
broadband services (e.g. 18.99 pcm)? I am interested both from the
point of view of intellectual curiousity and because I would like to
know what exactly is failing due to their blocking something and what is
due to my simply having misconfigured something (like rsync for example)

I believe they do it using payload scanning and check the content of the
data packets and anything matching the payload for any of the know p2p
applications is blocked regardless of port used.

They may however be doing this in reverse and blocking based on a permit
list eg permitting HTTP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP, FTP etc and blocknig all other
protocols.

Best to ask them directly or post on www.ADSLGuide.org.uk I'm sure someone
there will know.

Old June 15th 04, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RobertJM

"lesshaste" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone know how exactly plus net stop p2p etc. on their cheaper
broadband services (e.g. 18.99 pcm)? I am interested both from the
point of view of intellectual curiousity and because I would like to
know what exactly is failing due to their blocking something and what is
due to my simply having misconfigured something (like rsync for example)

What is slightly odd is that I am beginning to suspect they are not
simply blocking ports. I could be wrong but some things that I really
didn't expect to work do work and somethings that I do expect to work
(e.g. bittorrent over port 22) appear not to.

Cheers,
Raphael

I know 6 months ago kazza-lite worked fine on the 18.99 package..

RobertJM