Moved premises, moved number, what about ADSL?

Old June 15th 04, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TX2

Default Moved premises, moved number, what about ADSL?

A business assoc. of mine has just informed me that she is moving to a
new office on Friday, and proudly announced to me that she had arranged
for her existing telephone number to 'move' to the office as well.

I suggested that her ADSL connection wouldn't automatically follow, and
that she may have to 'cease and re-provide' at the new premises.

She seems to be of the opinion that in moving the number, the line would
still be activated. I told her i didn't think it actually worked like
that.

Can someone let me know what happens in these circumstances please?

Does she need to re-activate at the new premises despite the number
being the same, and if so, why is this ... ?
Old June 15th 04, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

A business assoc. of mine has just informed me that she is moving to a
new office on Friday, and proudly announced to me that she had arranged
for her existing telephone number to 'move' to the office as well.

I suggested that her ADSL connection wouldn't automatically follow, and
that she may have to 'cease and re-provide' at the new premises.

She seems to be of the opinion that in moving the number, the line would
still be activated. I told her i didn't think it actually worked like
that.

Can someone let me know what happens in these circumstances please?

Does she need to re-activate at the new premises despite the number
being the same, and if so, why is this ... ?

She will need to start a new contract. BT don't seem to have got their act
together in this way. Of course the problem is that the re-defining of a
circuit so the number stays the same is easily done in software. The ADSL
connection requires physical changes to be made.

Old June 15th 04, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wray

"Tx2" wrote in message
t...

A business assoc. of mine has just informed me that she is moving to a
new office on Friday, and proudly announced to me that she had arranged
for her existing telephone number to 'move' to the office as well.

I suggested that her ADSL connection wouldn't automatically follow, and
that she may have to 'cease and re-provide' at the new premises.

She seems to be of the opinion that in moving the number, the line would
still be activated. I told her i didn't think it actually worked like
that.

Can someone let me know what happens in these circumstances please?

Does she need to re-activate at the new premises despite the number
being the same, and if so, why is this ... ?

She'l have to cease and re-active at the new premises.

What's will happen with her account is the old one will cease and new one
start. There will also be a renumber order on the new account to change it
from what is currently allocated to the one that she is leaving.

She won't be able to order the new ADSL service until the new telephone line
is in service.

Stephen

Old June 15th 04, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Tx2" wrote in message
A business assoc. of mine has just informed me that she is moving to a
new office on Friday, and proudly announced to me that she had
arranged for her existing telephone number to 'move' to the office as
well.

I suggested that her ADSL connection wouldn't automatically follow,
and that she may have to 'cease and re-provide' at the new premises.

She seems to be of the opinion that in moving the number, the line
would still be activated. I told her i didn't think it actually
worked like that.

Can someone let me know what happens in these circumstances please?

Does she need to re-activate at the new premises despite the number
being the same, and if so, why is this ... ?

Yes, she will need to reactivate the ADSL.. - when the phone number is
transferred, it will automatically be ceased by BT at the old location.

The reason why ADSL cannot be "transferred" even if keeping the same
telephone number is that the installation at the exchange is linked to the
"physical" cooper wire/telephone line for a property (at the exchange)

If you move property, you would then be using a different copper wire to the
exchange..

If the plan is to keep the same phone number in a new location and you
currently have ADSL - well this can actually cause a delay as BT's systems
may initially reject the new order as it will take them a while to update
the fact that the telephone number has "moved location" and now no longer
has ADSL on it.

Your friend can get around this by getting a ISP to submit what is called a
"manual order" to BT - where they can add to the notes, something like
"telephone number transferred/moved location - does not have ADSL on it
etc" - so it doesn't get rejected.

Regards
Sunil

Old June 15th 04, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Buzby

[...]

Oh dear, I think she's stuffed. BT just moved me off to another ISP 'coz
they felt like it and it's taken me the best part of 4 weeks to get
reconnected. As I sell hotel rooms and tours on-line the broadband is vital
so I can manage availability etc etc. Anyone know what the going
compensation rate is?

Old June 15th 04, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

"Buzby" wrote in message
[...]

Do you use a Business class service for running your business?
Remember ADSL has no QoS so there's no real guarantees on it. (That I'm
aware of)

Old June 15th 04, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:46:20 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

"Tx2" wrote in message
et
[...]

But of course a physical circuit from a property does not always, if
ever, go all the way back to an exchange; a marshalling kiosk [if that
is what they are called] often groups wires in a locality to join a
main trunk back to the exchange. At the entrance to a business park,
for example, there could well be a kiosk feeding all the premises on
that 'park'.

To suggest that all the DP points within individual premises, with
however many pairs may be supplied to said premises, are all
controlled by software to make an appropriate pair alive for voice
calls alone seems quite remarkable.

If a company moves within the same business park, from one unit to
another, I would have thought that the services would be swung over
through hard wire jumping at the marshling kiosk. That being the case
both voice and ADSL services will come across to the new presmises.
So what is all this nonsense about cease and provide under these
circumstances?

So I would suggest that said friend could well be right in her
assertions.

Old June 15th 04, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Buzby

"manual order" to BT - where they can add to the notes, something like
"telephone number transferred/moved location - does not have ADSL on

it
etc" - so it doesn't get rejected.

Oh dear, I think she's stuffed. BT just moved me off to another ISP 'coz
they felt like it and it's taken me the best part of 4 weeks to get
reconnected. As I sell hotel rooms and tours on-line the broadband is

vital
so I can manage availability etc etc. Anyone know what the going
compensation rate is?

Do you use a Business class service for running your business?
Remember ADSL has no QoS so there's no real guarantees on it. (That I'm
aware of)

BT Broadband Business 500 - it's been rock steady for 2 years until they
took it upon themselves to fiddle with it - 3.5 weeks to sort out their own
cock up is more than as bit rich IMO

Old June 16th 04, 03:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

David Bradley wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:46:20 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

"Tx2" wrote in message
. net
A business assoc. of mine has just informed me that she is moving to a
new office on Friday, and proudly announced to me that she had
arranged for her existing telephone number to 'move' to the office as
well.

snip

[...]

But that would need a physical visit to the cabinet, and someone figuring
out the correct pairs to swap.
Doing it the other way just requires database changes at the exchange,
and can be largely automated.
Old June 16th 04, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On 16 Jun 2004 02:04:31 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

David Bradley wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:46:20 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

"Tx2" wrote in message
.net
[...]

So the job then becomes two instead of just the one.

1) A database change for voice calls
2) Physicall switching the jumpering for the ADSL service.

As such there is bound to be a lack of co-ordination of the ADSL and
Voice calls changes that are necessary to get both services quickly
established at the new company's premises.

A marshilng cabling kiosk [if possible] does the desired task in one
go.

David Bradley